Best/Worst chant heard at your ground?

40 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I remember a midweek game away to Dunfermline around 93ish where it was lashing down and our mini bus arrived a bit late and we had to stand out in the rain.

We were a bit merry from the pre match pit stops and singing along with a couple of hundred others that had no cover but determined to enjoy themselves which has never been easy when you are watching The Dee.

We were singing anything to amuse us and we had been singing the following, to the "We'll support you evermore" tune,

Davie Dodds' wife is a man,
Davie Dodds' wifes a man,
Davie Dodds' wife, Dave Dodds' wife, Davie Dodds' is a man.
I have no idea why and I have never seen Davie Dodds' wife but we were never big fans of The Elephant Man and maybe presumed she was as ugly as him but we sang it for a while.

Then the song changed to,

David Bowie's wife is Iman,
David Bowie's wifes Iman,

David Bowie's wife, David Bowie's wife. David Bowie's wifes Iman.

We sang this for ages, I remember it very clearly but couldn't even tell you what the score was.

It amused us far more than it should have and I still occasionally sing it to myself.

Wed 06 Mar 1996 Dunfermline 1-1 Dundee

If Dundee had won then United would have gone top, so there was some consolation for you

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

I remember a midweek game away to Dunfermline around 93ish where it was lashing down and our mini bus arrived a bit late and we had to stand out in the rain.

We were a bit merry from the pre match pit stops and singing along with a couple of hundred others that had no cover but determined to enjoy themselves which has never been easy when you are watching The Dee.

We were singing anything to amuse us and we had been singing the following, to the "We'll support you evermore" tune,

Davie Dodds' wife is a man,
Davie Dodds' wifes a man,
Davie Dodds' wife, Dave Dodds' wife, Davie Dodds' is a man.
I have no idea why and I have never seen Davie Dodds' wife but we were never big fans of The Elephant Man and maybe presumed she was as ugly as him but we sang it for a while.

Then the song changed to,

David Bowie's wife is Iman,
David Bowie's wifes Iman,

David Bowie's wife, David Bowie's wife. David Bowie's wifes Iman.

We sang this for ages, I remember it very clearly but couldn't even tell you what the score was.

It amused us far more than it should have and I still occasionally sing it to myself.

Talking of The Elephant Man, the aforementioned Michael Mols' wife got her very own song from Dundee fans when we visited Ibrox a good few years ago to the Davie Dodds tune:

"Mols' wife, elephant woman,

Mols' wife, elephant woman,

Mols' wife, elephant woman,

Mols' wife, elephant woman".

A beautifully written piece.

Remember a game at Parkhead a few years back. There were two Celtic supporters who had pushed themselves to as close to the Dons fans as they could get and spent the day facing us rather than the pitch. We went 2-1 up after a Mulgrew free kick (only to lose 3-2 with a last minute Celtic winner), and those two went absolutely mental leading to one of them getting removed by the stewards. The other guy calmed down but Dons fans started singing 'where's your boyfriend gone' to the tune of 'chirpy chirpy cheep cheep' causing this guy to once again go mental and get himself chucked out.

Seemed more funny at the time tbh, but still feel slightly bitter about losing that one.

On 23/02/2017 at 19:09, accies1874 said:

I always hate when Partick Thistle sing "There's only one team in Glasgow". Not because it's a bad song or anything, but it usually results in some of the dimmer ones among our fans to reply with "No there's no'. There's 2!" Occasionally they'll say three if they've sobered up a bit.

That's why we need the volume of media interest in Newco - without it we'd forget all about them and assume that there is only Celtic, Partick and Queen's Park in Glasgow. 

Aye and f**k off Aiden McGeady too. Genuinely thought we were off to France at that point [emoji20]

The James Mccarthy one was great in Dublin.

In London in November the "Big Sam's a liar" was alright also.

Both times we were miles wrong, gutted.

On 2/22/2017 at 21:42, 10menwent2mow said:

Hate that come on you boys in green nonsense at Parkhead. Simply nicked from elsewhere. First time I ever heard it in a ground was at a Melbourne Heart game.

Hate to admit this as I cant stand either of the cheeks, but one memory that has stuck in my head is from the day our esteemed leader shamefully gave Celtic three of our stands to allow them to watch their team win the title.

Hearing that song sung from all around RP was spine tingling.

At one point the Unwashed sang it for around five minutes solid and the noise, almost in stereo, was incredible, the atmosphere was electric.

I left soon afterwards before they went back into their Irish repertoire approaching the final whistle.

Almost as good as giving Paper Roses (now there's a football song I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned) laldy after beating them in at Hampden.

Another old time favourite of mine was hearing 'God save our Gerry Queen..........' 

5 hours ago, RawB93 said:

On that note; "Jackie's got your money, we all think it's funny, ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha"

That reminds me.  Quite liked the very simple and basic "one Stephen Thompson, there's only one Stephen Thomson" sang by the Dundee fans at the Doon Derby.  Sang just after thhe United fans brought out two banners which read something like "from European nights to relegation fights".

Only fair that we recognised that without Stephen Thomson there may never have been the Doon Derby.

Hate to admit this as I cant stand either of the cheeks, but one memory that has stuck in my head is from the day our esteemed leader shamefully gave Celtic three of our stands to allow them to watch their team win the title.
At one point the Unwashed sang it for around five minutes solid and the noise, almost in stereo, was incredible, the atmosphere was electric.
I left soon afterwards before they went back into their Irish repertoire approaching the final whistle.
Almost as good as giving Paper Roses (now there's a football song I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned) laldy after beating them in at Hampden.
Another old time favourite of mine was hearing 'God save our Gerry Queen..........' 

Like I say, had it not been shamefully stolen from elsewhere then good. Not as impressive as when stolen from a shitey a league team.

After Rangers had been pumped 4-1 from Ajax in the Champions league it was in the papers that Paul Gascoigne had been beating up Cheryl, his wife.

This then prompted the song, "If ye canna beat the Ajax beat your wife"

He really was a cock of a man.

At Bobby Clark's testimonial in about 1978 the Beach End sang "We all agree ,  Football Handbook is magic !" , whilst holding up their match programmes....... mimicking a tv advert that was on the go at the time for Football Handbook , a kinda thinking-man's Shoot

If even one other poster remembers The Football Handbook advert , I'll be chuffed !

On 2/22/2017 at 20:34, oneteaminglasgow said:

There's a group of guys who sing the same song every time we play Hearts, and it's absolutely dreadful. Goes something like "by the lights of the silvery moon, we fucked the boys in the maroon." 

Enjoyable few choruses today :)

When I lived down south I used to occasionally go to see Southampton and they'd often sing the "Wash your mouth out son" song to the tune of Queen Sera, Sera. For some reason though, rather than the rhyming endings of "wash your mouth out son/and go get your father's gun/and shoot all the (in my club's case) Rovers scum/Pars are number one" they ended it with "and support the Saints" which doesn't scan at all. It's almost as bad as when English club fans sing "You're shit as you know you are" rather than "shite". It just doesn't sound right at all.

On 24/02/2017 at 20:50, Shadow Play said:

That reminds me.  Quite liked the very simple and basic "one Stephen Thompson, there's only one Stephen Thomson" sang by the Dundee fans at the Doon Derby.  Sang just after thhe United fans brought out two banners which read something like "from European nights to relegation fights".

Only fair that we recognised that without Stephen Thomson there may never have been the Doon Derby.

The outburst of laughter and applause in the Derry when that banner was revealed will live long in the memory. 

The best song of all time is Beautiful Monday, end of. 

Monday morning up with the larks,

Dundee Yenited went down at Dens Park,

Hey, hey, hey what a beautiful day. 

This is my, my, my Beautiful Monday,

This is my, my, my beautiful day,

Won't you say, say, say, say that you love me,

Ohh, ohh, ohh my, my, my what a beautiful day. 

I've heard that sung many times but for me that day was by far the best.

And the mention of davie Dodds reminded me of being at a Celtic reserve game once and he came running over to the touch line close to where we were sitting to take a throw in and someone behind shouted 'for f**k sake Davie, there's kids at this game'.

Motherwell have had a few minters over the years I've supported them.

I find my old man awful. The Bois complain about stewards and then sing a song about Stanley knifes and spanners. Daft.

We always used to sing that Hibs fans were 'whores, poofs and junkies' which you'd never get away with anymore. Also the Mark McGhee's a peado one up at pittodrie was cringey as well.

I found 'you've got wool on your foreskin' at Aberdeen fans quite funny ages ago. Simple ones like 'shitehole shitehole' at love street were quite amusing as well.

Worst:

"we'll be coming down the road" by the tartan army. 

Best:

"if I had the wings of a sparrow,

And the arse of a big buffalo,

I'd fly over Ibrox tomorrow,

And shite on the b*****ds below, BELOW,

Shite on, shite on, shite on the b*****ds below, BELOW!

Shite on, shite on, shite on the b*****ds below, BELOW!"

Usually sung on away days around 2pm by a group of pished Dandies in the pub.

Archived