The Photography Thread

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Cheers Jupe. I thought I was all alone in here!:lol:

These are cracking photos by the way. Assynt and Torridon are stunning places to visit.

Look on the bright side. Shit weather = less midgies!

E-Chat is pretty quiet tbh :lol:

Aye, they're both amazing places. I usually have a fortnight off in early October and always have one week in Torridon, I'll never tire of climbing there. We used to have the other week in Skye, but it's so busy now that I can't really be fucked with it. Assynt is still pretty remote and quiet and the scenery knocks spots off almost everywhere else in Scotland. 

Didn't see a midge the whole fortnight, the weather was OK in Assynt, but it pished down, with gale force winds for about 5 consecutive days in Torridon. Indeed the highlight, until I finally got up a hill, was pulling a tick out of my arm :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting a proper camera for a while now but have never really got round to finding out what would be best for me.

What should I be looking for? Complete beginner so probably a basic starter, but with a view to adding more to it.

Something in black Friday would be good as well.

Stevo Fife and Jupe are the boi’s I aspire to when it comes to photography.

Stevo, what kind of lense are you using to capture these long range shots? I have a 150-300 one that came with the camera but would like to get closer to wildlife. Also, what settings do you use to picture moving birds so sharply? What kind of ISO are you on?

And Jupe, what kind of equipment are you using? Do you have any attachments for these effects of are you just working with the natural light that you have in the moment?

Any help would be appreciated lads.

On 11/22/2017 at 14:35, deej said:

I've been wanting a proper camera for a while now but have never really got round to finding out what would be best for me.

What should I be looking for? Complete beginner so probably a basic starter, but with a view to adding more to it.

Something in black Friday would be good as well.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/dslrs/1405646/best-dslr-the-best-budget-mid-range-and-full-frame-dslrs-to-buy-from-350-to-3500

The link above should give you some ideas bud. No point in buying anything too expensive to start of with. :)

On 11/22/2017 at 18:17, jamamafegan said:

Stevo, what kind of lense are you using to capture these long range shots? I have a 150-300 one that came with the camera but would like to get closer to wildlife. Also, what settings do you use to picture moving birds so sharply? What kind of ISO are you on?

And Jupe, what kind of equipment are you using? Do you have any attachments for these effects of are you just working with the natural light that you have in the moment?

I have a Sigma Sport 150-600mm. Its very heavy and difficult to use hand held so often have to lump a tri pod around with me. In hindsight i should have bought the Nikon 80-500 but will get round to that when finances allow. Feckin years away:lol:

Your 300 should get you close enough but you could always add a 1.4x teleconverter which will get you close to 600mm depending on what lens you use.

For anything moving i.e. birds, cars etc you really need a high shutter speed to freeze the action. Minimum i use is 1600 but anything less you can forget it. Depending on your lens F stop and how bright it is outside will determine your shutter speed. On a cloudy dull day I don't bother with the camera. No point.

ISO is a whole different ball game. High quality cameras like the Nikon D750 can cope with high ISO (anything over 1600 up to 4000 i've heard) but my camera struggles past 1600 so again I don't usually bother. High ISO means noise on the photo (grain) and effects sharpness.

Cameras can be complicated tools but my advice is practice loads of shots using different settings, conditions and Youtube tutorials are brilliant. Took me a good year to learn the basics and still much to learn but its worth it.

See here:

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/the-exposure-triangle-aperture-shutter-speed-and-iso-explained-1320830

I used to use shutter priority or aperture priority but now shoot mostly manual as I'm more confident. Get away from using auto mode and use shutter or aperture to start with. Look at your images and learn. You'll soon pick it up:) And join a camera club if you can. Great places to learn.

Here to help where I can so feel free to ask.

On 11/22/2017 at 18:17, jamamafegan said:

Also meant to say to get closer to your subject you can crop (zoom in a bit and trim unwanted stuff in your photos) by using lightroom or a similar editing software. You do get free software which does the job.

Sorry@jamamafegan just saw this.

I shoot with a Sony a7 mkii with the standard 28-70mm kit lens. I occasionally use screw in and square ND filters, the hillwalking shots are just shot as is (I can't be fucked carrying all the gear [emoji38] ) I rely heavily on good natural light, although overcast days can be good for moody atmospheric landscapes, and long exposures for water and cloud blur.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...