Jump to content

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Do we need an enigma machine to see them Spud?:P

Don't know why they wouldn't show up. Have uploaded them again. Hopefully they've worked this time!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These wildlife images are fucking outstanding :thumsup2

I've not done any specific landscape stuff for ages, just snaps whilst on mountains etc. I've been rifling through my older stuff to find material for Alamy, and found a couple I hadn't bothered working on. 

Black Mount hills over Rannoch Moor

29827554954_ea39a8184d_c.jpg

Spindrift whipping up near the top of Beinn Teallach, above Glen Spean. It was close on -15 when I took this and blowing a gale. 

30160397690_f8fb7e992b_c.jpg

Edited by jupe1407

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some dolphin photos from Chanonry point taken in the last few weeks.  I need to get a longer lens but they're prohibitively expensive beyond 300mm.  Most of them are done on manual focus, which you can tell from the first one :lol:

Spoiler
DSC06669

 

Spoiler
DSC06657

 

Spoiler
DSC06633

 

Spoiler
DSC06629

 

Spoiler
DSC06548

 

Spoiler
DSC06517

 

Spoiler
DSC06346

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Some dolphin photos from Chanonry point taken in the last few weeks.  I need to get a longer lens but they're prohibitively expensive beyond 300mm.  Most of them are done on manual focus, which you can tell from the first one :lol:

  Hide contents

DSC06669

 

  Hide contents

DSC06657

 

  Hide contents

DSC06633

 

  Hide contents

DSC06629

 

  Hide contents

DSC06548

 

  Hide contents

DSC06517

 

  Hide contents

DSC06346

 

 

Lovely stuff. Been trying to get back up to Chanonry for weeks but always something gets in the way, (usually the wife)

Cracking photos BB:thumsup2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some lovely stuff recently, and it's my external shame that I've not got to Chanonry point to try and capture some Dolphin shots yet. 

I'm not long back from the Isle of Man TT, took the camera across and not finished all the photos yet but so far got a couple which I'm pretty happy about.

34447732954_a7060da92a_z.jpg

35251349296_3e7eb2bc27_z.jpg

35291602985_de5807ff79_z.jpg

34445129244_52f2c140da_z.jpg

34471995423_e58ddc53b8_z.jpg

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the bike shots. Nice n sharp.

Think this thread gone quiet due to the shite weather!:lol:

 

Here's a couple of the big beast Queen Elizabeth leaving Rosyth.

Went to see her at midnight going under the 3 bridges. Amazing experience but my lens wasn't up to the job.

_SDJ1314.jpg

_SDJ1357.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short Eared Owls, adult & juvenile. (taken in Sheriffmuir)

Light was poor but hey, It's a Scottish summer!

_SDJ1456.jpg

_SDJ1462.jpg

_SDJ1553-Edit.jpg

_SDJ1578.jpg

_SDJ1650.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know half of those birds, but I'm going to guess that the long beaked ones are a redshank and snipe.  I've seen the adult of the parent/child with the red beaks before and always think it's a tern when I've seen it in flight, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  Great photos.

Edited by bunglebonce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

I don't know half of those birds, but I'm going to guess that the long beaked ones are a redshank and snipe.  I've seen the adult of the parent/child with the red beaks before and always think it's a tern when I've seen it in flight, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  Great photos.

Pretty certain that they are Arctic terns. Saw a lot of them when I was doing surveys for work last year around Portgordon.

Edited by RiG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good shout fellas.

From top to bottom

  • Arctic Tern
  • Dunlin
  • Ringed Plover (juvenile)
  • Short Eared Owl
  • Snipe
  • Short eared owl again
  • Redshank
  • Stonechat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is something I've been wanting to get into for a wee while and after scoping about the internet, I'm probably more lost than I was to begin with.

What are the realistic costs for a beginner? I'd initially be looking at landscape shots. I'm happy for the kit to be secondhand as well so eBay etc. is an option.

How much did you benefit from classes you took it is there a lot you can learn via YouTube?

I'll probably have more questions but for now I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is something I've been wanting to get into for a wee while and after scoping about the internet, I'm probably more lost than I was to begin with.

What are the realistic costs for a beginner? I'd initially be looking at landscape shots. I'm happy for the kit to be secondhand as well so eBay etc. is an option.

How much did you benefit from classes you took it is there a lot you can learn via YouTube?

I'll probably have more questions but for now I'm not sure.

It's not as expensive as you might think especially if you are willing to buy second hand. You can get a decent (but older) camera body and kit lense for around £150 and then it's just a case of buying additional lenses for the camera. Most lenses can be used on the same brand of camera, if you buy a cheap canon camera to start with and end up buying a few lenses then if you upgrade to another canon camera body then you should be able to use the lenses with that one aswell.
I done the introduction to photography course here http://teaching.dreghorn-photography.co.uk/index.php/introductory-courses/
And it was a really good help. Explained things without too much jargon and gives you a much better understanding of the camera and how to use it other than in automatic mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spud131 said:


It's not as expensive as you might think especially if you are willing to buy second hand. You can get a decent (but older) camera body and kit lense for around £150 and then it's just a case of buying additional lenses for the camera. Most lenses can be used on the same brand of camera, if you buy a cheap canon camera to start with and end up buying a few lenses then if you upgrade to another canon camera body then you should be able to use the lenses with that one aswell.
I done the introduction to photography course here http://teaching.dreghorn-photography.co.uk/index.php/introductory-courses/
And it was a really good help. Explained things without too much jargon and gives you a much better understanding of the camera and how to use it other than in automatic mode.

Did you join KPCC ?

I'm a member but haven't been for a couple of years due to circumstances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a few pictures recently with the digital camera, got pissed right off with it. Aye sure it takes a great picture, eventually after doing it's shit to stabilise and focus, frustrating.

I am in the market for a decent digital camera "body" if you can do such a thing and then buy varying lenses at a later date. Having tried to capture some swallows in a field near me and they were flying like feet away from me anticipating the capture click to it actually rendering a pic through it's clever trickery I missed the shot probably by at least a second.

What I am looking for is the old fashioned method of using a view finder through the lens and then manually using the focus and zoom myself. I kid you not I am going up the wall because I used to do film photography as a hobby many moons ago and I find a manual zoom and focus through the lens against your eye brow a far superior way to take the best shot and stable at that. I hate holding the camera with two hands looking at a wee LCD view finder out in front of you because it's a terrible way to take a pic with your arms being unstable taking particular angles and waiting for the damn thing to focus, Arghhhhh.

What options are there for using a digital camera the exact same way as you would a film camera? All the bells and whistles are gratefully appreciated like 4K or 1080p, rapid fire mode taking many frames a second.

I'm sure there are cameras that suit my requirements, I'd just like to get some feedback from posters who may already have experience with cameras I am thinking of buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Took a few pictures recently with the digital camera, got pissed right off with it. Aye sure it takes a great picture, eventually after doing it's shit to stabilise and focus, frustrating.

I am in the market for a decent digital camera "body" if you can do such a thing and then buy varying lenses at a later date. Having tried to capture some swallows in a field near me and they were flying like feet away from me anticipating the capture click to it actually rendering a pic through it's clever trickery I missed the shot probably by at least a second.

What I am looking for is the old fashioned method of using a view finder through the lens and then manually using the focus and zoom myself. I kid you not I am going up the wall because I used to do film photography as a hobby many moons ago and I find a manual zoom and focus through the lens against your eye brow a far superior way to take the best shot and stable at that. I hate holding the camera with two hands looking at a wee LCD view finder out in front of you because it's a terrible way to take a pic with your arms being unstable taking particular angles and waiting for the damn thing to focus, Arghhhhh.

What options are there for using a digital camera the exact same way as you would a film camera? All the bells and whistles are gratefully appreciated like 4K or 1080p, rapid fire mode taking many frames a second.

I'm sure there are cameras that suit my requirements, I'd just like to get some feedback from posters who may already have experience with cameras I am thinking of buying.

I've got a Canon 70D and it does all those things.

Got both LCD screen and viewfinder. Would agree that using viewfinder and focussing is by far the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

I've got a Canon 70D and it does all those things.

Got both LCD screen and viewfinder. Would agree that using viewfinder and focussing is by far the best.

Cheers, had a looky see on the web and it appears to have a high review on most sites. I will definitely keep the Canon in mind, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...