The Photography Thread

10 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Nice :)

I've been meaning to catch a decent LE sunrise there for years but just can't be arsed driving through. 

Sunrise was a bit disappointing to be honest. Yesterday was a belter so was hoping for the same today but didn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Sunrise was a bit disappointing to be honest. Yesterday was a belter so was hoping for the same today but didn't happen. 

Stayed a weekend up there in November with the family. Would be a helluva trek for me for a dawn visit. Anyway never really got great conditions either, here's my take on a post sunset shot.

R5__4409-Edit.thumb.jpg.38f631b9a2f1bad6c663a211c60ec376.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Stayed a weekend up there in November with the family. Would be a helluva trek for me for a dawn visit. Anyway never really got great conditions either, here's my take on a post sunset shot.

R5__4409-Edit.thumb.jpg.38f631b9a2f1bad6c663a211c60ec376.jpg

I take it you were a big feardy and didn't climb down the other side?

52 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

I take it you were a big feardy and didn't climb down the other side?

Haha I bet you had your camera on a pole 😂

Nah, for a guy that climbed all the Munros, I had eye surgery 10 years ago next Tuesday after a detached retina. I’ve got double vision and lost all my confidence 😢 Plus it was breezy… no much fun on these ladders carrying tripods & stuff.

9 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Haha I bet you had your camera on a pole 😂

Nah, for a guy that climbed all the Munros, I had eye surgery 10 years ago next Tuesday after a detached retina. I’ve got double vision and lost all my confidence 😢 Plus it was breezy… no much fun on these ladders carrying tripods & stuff.

You're right. Was helluva windy and slippy but I managed to stay dry. Fecking freezing though.🙄

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can anyone recommend a decent camera for someone who wants to get into landscape photography?

Around the 500 quid mark 

You'll be looking for a full frame camera for landscape. Lots of options out there. Don't forget you'll also need to invest in lens.

Personally, I can recommend Nikon D610 which fits your budget although 2nd hand. Even better a D750 but you'll struggle to find one under £700 used. Everyone is getting a bit stiff over mirrorless just now so some good deals on DSLR cameras to be found. Nothing wrong with buying used. Look here and do your homework on Google. Can't beat the feel of a proper DSLR in the hand.  Alternatively Panasonic and Sony to name but a few do some decent mid range mirrorless.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d610/

Edited by Stevo Fife

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can anyone recommend a decent camera for someone who wants to get into landscape photography?

Around the 500 quid mark 

Stevo's D610 is decent. Mind you he names every brand except the market leader 😂
So for £350 - £400 on MPB you can get the Canon 6D which I had for a few years and was a groundbreaker at the time. It's a good bit lighter if that matters but a personal choice for many people is ergonomics, i.e. how it feels in the hand, so it's better to try and handle a couple of cameras (Sonys are ugly beasts IMO).  A budget Canon EF lens or a Sigma and you're all set. If you fancy your hand at astro then the 6D allows you up to 25600 ISO while the 610 only does 6400. 

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Stevo's D610 is decent. Mind you he names every brand except the market leader 😂
So for £350 - £400 on MPB you can get the Canon 6D which I had for a few years and was a groundbreaker at the time. It's a good bit lighter if that matters but a personal choice for many people is ergonomics, i.e. how it feels in the hand, so it's better to try and handle a couple of cameras (Sonys are ugly beasts IMO).  A budget Canon EF lens or a Sigma and you're all set. If you fancy your hand at astro then the 6D allows you up to 25600 ISO while the 610 only does 6400. 

Market leader? You jest sir. They are Called Canons for a reason.🤣

And anyone that requires ISO anywhere near or over 6400 for astro shouldn't be allowed oot the hoose.

On 02/09/2021 at 13:58, The Mantis said:

Try harder Steve 😉

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Market leader? You jest sir. They are Called Canons for a reason.🤣

Another good try bud 😉 but no bites, all the brand tribalism just bores my tits off.

• 2 weeks later...