Jump to content

The Photography Thread


Stevo Fife

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Bow Fiddle Rock last week. The squiggly bits at the top right are gulls. I just left them in.

R5__8804-Edit.thumb.jpg.32cca5bebc27f943b80033fd8c5fc5c8.jpg

Nice. Was up there last month. Lovely part of the country and so under rated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dusted my old Canon 550D down and took some photos of our pup at an enclosed dog park.

Finances won't allow for a new camera atm but am finding the 550D along with the 250mm lens I have is getting a bit limited.

morse056.JPG

morse053V2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Dusted my old Canon 550D down and took some photos of our pup at an enclosed dog park.

Finances won't allow for a new camera atm but am finding the 550D along with the 250mm lens I have is getting a bit limited.

morse056.JPG

morse053V2.jpg

Lovely pup and sharp image👍

You can never have enough lens.  Saying that , depends what you want to shoot. A 250 will be more than enough for general stuff but if you're into wildlife (small bird, mammals etc) then a 250 will seem inadequate. If not, then a 250 is fine for general shooting and bigger subjects. You can pick up used Sigma Contemporary or Tamron (150-600) for around £500-£600, both decent glass.

I used to carry a 150-600 Sigma (sport version) and whilst great for reach, it was impossible to hand hold due to the weight. Next to useless unless on a tripod or mono. Great lens though. Downsized to a 300 prime + 1.4 TC and I'm back to wanting more. Saving hard for the 500 prime and that will be the end of it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

Lovely pup and sharp image👍

You can never have enough lens.  Saying that , depends what you want to shoot. A 250 will be more than enough for general stuff but if you're into wildlife (small bird, mammals etc) then a 250 will seem inadequate. If not, then a 250 is fine for general shooting and bigger subjects. You can pick up used Sigma Contemporary or Tamron (150-600) for around £500-£600, both decent glass.

I used to carry a 150-600 Sigma (sport version) and whilst great for reach, it was impossible to hand hold due to the weight. Next to useless unless on a tripod or mono. Great lens though. Downsized to a 300 prime + 1.4 TC and I'm back to wanting more. Saving hard for the 500 prime and that will be the end of it.

 

I used to have a 300 with my old proper camera and it seemed to give a nice balance of zoom vs weight. As you say it works well for larger wildlife so I've managed to get some nice whale shots provided I wasn't too far away from the animal at the time.

I've managed to get a few nice shots with my 250 lens but desperately want a camera upgrade.

 

Edited by Rizzo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Downsized to a 300 prime + 1.4 TC and I'm back to wanting more. Saving hard for the 500 prime and that will be the end of it.

Will it though Steve? Will it really?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

 

I used to carry a 150-600 Sigma (sport version) and whilst great for reach, it was impossible to hand hold due to the weight. Next to useless unless on a tripod or mono. Great lens though. Downsized to a 300 prime + 1.4 TC and I'm back to wanting more. Saving hard for the 500 prime and that will be the end of it.

 

I've got the 150-600 Sport and it's decent, but I'm saving for a Canon 500mm f/4, maybe end of the year. It'll have to be second hand and it'll be even heavier than the Sigma.
BTW I tried a Sigma 1.4TC with it, thought they would go well together, but it was so bad I sent it back. I've already got a Canon one to encourage me to save up 😉

9 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Will it though Steve? Will it really?

😂

Edit- here's a pic

mono3.thumb.jpg.54b9fe7040013b6cd8aefc6509f45f94.jpg

Edited by The Mantis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I've got the 150-600 Sport and it's decent, but I'm saving for a Canon 500mm f/4, maybe end of the year. It'll have to be second hand and it'll be even heavier than the Sigma.
BTW I tried a Sigma 1.4TC with it, thought they would go well together, but it was so bad I sent it back. I've already got a Canon one to encourage me to save up 😉

😂

Edit- here's a pic

mono3.thumb.jpg.54b9fe7040013b6cd8aefc6509f45f94.jpg

Will the TC not step you down to about F8? FFS I know we've had plenty of sun this summer but...😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

 


Good stuff. Probably same here although still seesawing between that and the Z7ii.

 

Aye, not convinced about the mirrorless. Like the idea of being lighter but restrictions on lens offerings put me off a bit. Never say never though.

Could be worse. Could be a Canon shooter. (wait for it... @The Mantis)😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Will the TC not step you down to about F8? FFS I know we've had plenty of sun this summer but...😂

Aye fitted on the Sigma lens at f/6.3 I think it's f/9 but never really used it,  I bought the TC with the Canon f/4 lens in mind as I got a good price used. Plus the ISO on my new camera is pretty amazing.

 

15 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Could be worse. Could be a Canon shooter. (wait for it... @The Mantis)😋

Try harder Steve 😉

 

15 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Aye, not convinced about the mirrorless. Like the idea of being lighter but restrictions on lens offerings put me off a bit. Never say never though.

I was much the same till recently. Never liked Electronic Viewfinders much and they eat batteries. But got a shot of a mate's, the viewfinder is much improved and the eye recognition is a game changer. Got rid of my 2 DSLR bodies and only using the Canon R5 now.
Canon already has about 20 RF lenses but I can use my old EF lenses with an adaptor. I bought one RF lens for landscapes and got rid of my old EF 16-35mm. Expensive but amazing quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Autumn in Glen Rosa, Isle of Arran.

20211010-_SDJ4695.jpg

Love the colours Steve, but I'd rather see Cir Mhor at the head of the glen than that boulder. As the judges always say, maybe you could have moved a few metres to the right (searches for a 'splash' emoji...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Love the colours Steve, but I'd rather see Cir Mhor at the head of the glen than that boulder. As the judges always say, maybe you could have moved a few metres to the right (searches for a 'splash' emoji...)

Aye, that was as far as I could get without going for a swim. Also ran out of time as it did nothing but fu***g rain on that island. 🥶

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...