The Photography Thread

On 14/03/2021 at 18:01, Qos91 said:

These photos were taken by my pal. Not sure if theres any other astrophotographers on here but I'm looking forward to meeting up with him to see how its all done. IMG-20210314-WA0002.jpgIMG-20210228-WA0000.jpgIMG-20210227-WA0003.jpg

A 400mm zoom lens on a decent camera rigged to a star tracker can certainly bring out shots of nebulae. I was briefly tempted to invest in such a set up but then realised i've sent enough money on total nonsense lately 😂

I was looking back through my old stuff and found this - one of my early attempts at night-sky photography. My Oh shone a light on the Airlie Monument which I'd lined up with the Milky Way. I can't remember the exact details but it was 14mm / f2.8 / ISO3200 / 25secs or thereabouts. This was with a Canon 6D and a Samyang 14mm manual focus lens. 

Airlie Monument at Night.jpg

I was looking back through my old stuff and found this - one of my early attempts at night-sky photography. My Oh shone a light on the Airlie Monument which I'd lined up with the Milky Way. I can't remember the exact details but it was 14mm / f2.8 / ISO3200 / 25secs or thereabouts. This was with a Canon 6D and a Samyang 14mm manual focus lens. 
1351880875_AirlieMonumentatNight.thumb.jpg.a64db4f16fd794c1c4480af236c2c82c.jpg

That’s a beezer. Quality looks great, better than what I expected from Samyang. I was one click away from buying that same lens a couple of months ago but shat out of it. I will go down the astrophotography path at some point - just when I have a bit more money to play with. Probably just wait until next autumn when the nights start to get darker!

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

That’s a beezer. Quality looks great, better than what I expected from Samyang. I was one click away from buying that same lens a couple of months ago but shat out of it. I will go down the astrophotography path at some point - just when I have a bit more money to play with. Probably just wait until next autumn when the nights start to get darker!

Cheers. Samyangs are usually worth a look - I got the 14mm Canon fit for approx £290 new a few years back, then picked up a 20mm f1.8 manual version to use when i switched to Sony for under £250. I'm now on Nikon and just got the 24mm f1.4 Samyang manual. I just need a clear moonless night to try it out 😂

Took this one last week, it's looking West to the Pentlands and also the sunset and Penicuik so no stars. Got plenty stars looking back the way but nothing interesting in the foreground unless you just like looking at millions of stars.
TBF there was actually a superb sunset earlier that night but if the wife cooks, the least you can do is sit down and eat with her 😂EOSR1949-Edit.thumb.jpeg.096ed83075dcd82061cfc716392543d6.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

On 24/03/2021 at 08:26, Day of the Lords said:

Impressive - but what is the glow at the bottom of the sky? Is it natural light or urban light from a town?

4 minutes ago, Elric said:

Impressive - but what is the glow at the bottom of the sky? Is it natural light or urban light from a town?

I think it's just light pollution on the left of the monument - going by the direction I was shooting that's probably from Braemar-Ballater area. The glow on the right looks a bit like faint aurora, or possibly just airglow. 

On 24/03/2021 at 08:26, Day of the Lords said:

It's a cracking photo but I was going to give you a tip passed onto me years ago 

Sorry this isn't the best: it's a mobile snap of a print:

IMG_20210329_231419649.thumb.jpg.4f38106be885f19d4902816b7d925577.jpg

It was taken by a pal of my Dad and shows Comet Hale Bopp in 1997. Jack set up his camera on long exposure pointed at the spire of Tannadice Church and the comet. The spire would have been in the dark so to illuminate it he walked down to the church and fired off his flash gun underneath the spire once or twice and this was caught on the long exposure.

35 mil film of course- digital wasn't so widespread in those days.

11 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's a cracking photo but I was going to give you a tip passed onto me years ago 

It was taken by a pal of my Dad and shows Comet Hale Bopp in 1997. Jack set up his camera on long exposure pointed at the spire of Tannadice Church and the comet. The spire would have been in the dark so to illuminate it he walked down to the church and fired off his flash gun underneath the spire once or twice and this was caught on the long exposure.

Wow that is pretty cool! Digital has unquestionably made photography a lot "easier", especially astro. 

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's known as light-brushing. You can do the same thing with a fairly bright torch brushing back and forward over your foreground subject.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 19:08, Qos91 said:

Finally got out with my mate and his astro camera last night. Hes still learning as he goes but hes getting some good photos.

Where’s this?

Aplogies if I’ve posted this one before (can’t remember) but just since you’re a Queens fan.  It was taken at the Devil’s Beef Tub on the way back from Palmerston in October 2019, the last time before the lockdown. You can see Orion low on the horizon to the left.

B163ED8C-5061-49ED-BF52-860B738852CA.thumb.jpeg.4b06f43e1b653bb32d1055c7ce6b6d2f.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

Where’s this?
Aplogies if I’ve posted this one before (can’t remember) but just since you’re a Queens fan.  It was taken at the Devil’s Beef Tub on the way back from Palmerston in October 2019, the last time before the lockdown. You can see Orion low on the horizon to the left.
B163ED8C-5061-49ED-BF52-860B738852CA.thumb.jpeg.4b06f43e1b653bb32d1055c7ce6b6d2f.jpeg
Thats a cracker. Is that one shot or did you do any stacking?

The photo I posted was at Gatehouse of Fleet viaduct.

50 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

Thats a cracker. Is that one shot or did you do any stacking?

The photo I posted was at Gatehouse of Fleet viaduct.

Cheers. I waited about 10 mins between cars as I wanted a bit of a trail and some light on the hill. The glow in the sky will be Moffat.
No, I've never done any stacking apart from a couple of times when I've blended two shots to get foreground and background sharp. Wouldn't know where to start tbh.

I thought it was maybe the Leaderfoot viaduct but I suppose that would have been a bit of a trek from down your way. My mate has a superb shot of it with the Milky Way.

On 10/04/2021 at 19:08, Qos91 said:

Finally got out with my mate and his astro camera last night. Hes still learning as he goes but hes getting some good photos. IMG_20210410_151221.jpg

Tell your mate to sell prints asap I love that.