The Photography Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Incredibly broad and unhelpful question I know, but what recommendations would people have for someone wanting to start getting into photography a bit? Are clubs still a good idea to join (covid permitting) or do most folk make do with forums these days? What sort of things should you look for in your first decent camera? Any pointers at all would be a big help 

26 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Incredibly broad and unhelpful question I know, but what recommendations would people have for someone wanting to start getting into photography a bit? Are clubs still a good idea to join (covid permitting) or do most folk make do with forums these days? What sort of things should you look for in your first decent camera? Any pointers at all would be a big help 

There's a lot of chat on this thread about gear, budgets etc, which probably leads to: how much are you willing to invest? Maybe get a compact which is a big improvement on a phone, then see if you've still got the bug.  Saying that, phones can be excellent in good lighting conditions.

I love my club in Midlothian (Lasswade). We own the premises since it was sold to us as a ruin by the council for £1 in about 1971. We can't use it just now, but using Zoom we've been remarkably normal, and you can now get guest speakers/judges from anywhere, which used to be a problem with travelling in the winter.

I don't think you can beat a good print which is why clubs beat forums for me, plus the social aspect. I use Flickr which has led to a lot of new online acquaintances, but there's also Instagram etc.

Edinburgh Photographic Society is known for being a bit posh and elitist, not recommended for beginners, but don't know if there are any more in the capital. There are clubs in Musselburgh, Penicuik, Mid Calder, Haddington etc.
I would see forums etc as an add-on. YouTube is an incredible resource for tuition and inspiration.

Edited by The Mantis

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I started off with a Fuji fine pix camera with "idiot" settings which was a good model- I think you could pick up one for fifty quid now either at a Cash Generator type place or Cameratiks in Morningside. I used it at the football mostly.

Having dropped it.. I bought a replacement Sony that didn't have a "sport" setting so I quickly had to learn about shutter speeds, film settings etc. The good thing about digital cameras is that you see your results instantly and you can just experiment as you go along. 

I always liked Henri Cartier-Bresson's advice to just wander about the streets and see what's happening as well.

One of mine - this was on a Saturday afternoon in March when Dundee v Dunfermline was cancelled and I had to find something to do with my day - taken from the Bank of Scotland hide at Montrose Basin. I'd only ever caught a brief glimpse of a kingfisher before - this one hung around for about half an hour.49658543038_2f66e71337_o.thumb.jpg.a13e250f18898b5364379425adc73f6f.jpg

11 minutes ago, davidy233 said:

One of mine - this was on a Saturday afternoon in March when Dundee v Dunfermline was cancelled and I had to find something to do with my day - taken from the Bank of Scotland hide at Montrose Basin. I'd only ever caught a brief glimpse of a kingfisher before - this one hung around for about half an hour.49658543038_2f66e71337_o.thumb.jpg.a13e250f18898b5364379425adc73f6f.jpg

There's one hangs about occasionally  in the woods behind our garden. I was genuinely amazed at how small they are. (Nice photo by the way)

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

On 25/10/2020 at 00:03, Stevo Fife said:

Vatersay. The gate to paradise.

_SDJ6188.jpg

Seen this on calendars but was there last May and never saw it 😂
Walked to the deserted village of Eòrasdail though, think I posted some shots somewhere, maybe the Islands thread.