The Photography Thread

I'm assuming your going carbon fibre for the weight reduction to carry?  Trouble with being too light is they move in the wind. What lens are you using?
Personally, I use Manfrotto.. Good solid base and you can interchange between gimbal and ball head easily. I don't use it very often as I dropped down to a 300mm prime with 1.4 tc so most of my stuff is handheld these days. Saving up for a 500 prime mind you.

Yep for weight reduction. Using a 200-500mm lens but would quite like to use the tripod for shooting landscapes as well, so wind may be an issue.

13 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Yep for weight reduction. Using a 200-500mm lens but would quite like to use the tripod for shooting landscapes as well, so wind may be an issue.

Is that the Nikon 200-500? How do you find it? Sharp enough? i Can't decide between the 200--500 or the 500 PF.

Is that the Nikon 200-500? How do you find it? Sharp enough? i Can't decide between the 200--500 or the 500 PF.

Sharp enough for me anyway, depends on folks standards! I like it, it’s heavy though so hand held shooting can be tricky if wanting to achieve sharpness without a tripod. The picture below was taken with said lens. Looks fairly sharp to me. This is considering I’m still an amateur working off of a D3200! I’m sure someone more capable could have used better settings for the shot.

fullsizeoutput_63d.jpg

This was a complete fluke. Whilst i'm not 100% happy with the composition, i liked the end result. I'd got up a 5am on Saturday morning and though I'd try to head to Westhaven on the Angus coast for sunrise. I couldn't really find a decent shot as it was a total rush job. Nipped along to Carnoustie beach front and found these steps. I took this shot just a wave had come in and soaked the rest of my camera gear 😂 

Carnoustie Steps-2.jpg

On 28/08/2020 at 07:49, Day of the Lords said:

This was a complete fluke. Whilst i'm not 100% happy with the composition, i liked the end result. I'd got up a 5am on Saturday morning and though I'd try to head to Westhaven on the Angus coast for sunrise. I couldn't really find a decent shot as it was a total rush job. Nipped along to Carnoustie beach front and found these steps. I took this shot just a wave had come in and soaked the rest of my camera gear 😂 

Carnoustie Steps-2.jpg

That would make a fantastic artwork cover for a re-released CD single of New Dawn Fades.

On 18/08/2020 at 08:17, Day of the Lords said:

Looking ahead to the tortuous ascent of Beinn nan Aighenan, one of the remoter munros. It's in Glen Kinglass but slightly easier to get to from Glen Etive. I was going to delete this one but liked the light trying to break through the cloud (it did and we were completely clear at the top) 

Glen Etive Munros-05.jpg

Apparently I climbed this in November 1988. From Victoria Bridge, 17 miles. Last 40 minutes in darkness. Can't remember the first thing about it.

15 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

Lovely shots. A place I've yet to visit but on the radar for next year (hopefully).👌

Cheers Stevo. Was meant to be April for the birds (and the whisky). Never saw a chough or a hen harrier or an otter though. Posted a few more in the birds and the Scottish Islands.
You'll love it. Been 3 times now at about 10 year intervals.

Edited by The Mantis

7 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Cheers Stevo. Was meant to be April for the birds (and the whisky). Never saw a chough or a hen harrier or an otter though. You'll love it. Been 3 times now at about 10 year intervals.

Birds and whisky. They were the days!

I'm there already ☺️

Apparently I climbed this in November 1988. From Victoria Bridge, 17 miles. Last 40 minutes in darkness. Can't remember the first thing about it.
I initially thought about doing the same, but with a bike. It's miserable from any direction tbh. Another reason I will absolutely not be doing a second round.