The Photography Thread

13 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

I’m fairly new to photography and have started trying to get some nice night time star shots. Can anyone recommend any good areas in Fife suitable for dark sky type shoots?

Here's a light pollution map - basically get away from built-up areas to begin with https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9&lat=7574228&lon=-378347&layers=B0FFFFFTFFFFFFFF

24 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Here's a light pollution map - basically get away from built-up areas to begin with https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9&lat=7574228&lon=-378347&layers=B0FFFFFTFFFFFFFF

Thanks Ginaro, I’m hoping between being up in Aberdeenshire during the week and back in Fife at the weekend I might be able to get some shots in.

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

This really....REALLY....should be my last game of the year.  It's getting far too dark to be shooting games, only managed to get a few decent snaps.

Thanks for sharing those snaps.

I had no idea that Ross Tokely is still strutting his stuff.

You've captured a couple of images that jolt memories of joy.

10 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Few pics taken from my recent safari trip to South Africa. Might be a few more pics to follow once I get a chance to have a proper look through them all. DSC01289.jpeg

Cracking picture, I like how relaxed the lioness looks! How far away were you from her?

Cracking picture, I like how relaxed the lioness looks! How far away were you from her?
Prob only about 15 to 20 feet away at most. It was amazing how close you could get to the animals without them bothering. We had a pride of about 19 or 20 lions walk right past the safari truck, close enough that if you had reached out the truck you could have touched one (and prob lost your arm)!

Just now, spud131 said:
5 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Prob only about 15 to 20 feet away at most. It was amazing how close you could get to the animals without them bothering. We had a pride of about 19 or 20 lions walk right past the safari truck, close enough that if you had reached out the truck you could have touched one (and prob lost your arm)!

Wow amazing I assumed at that distance you became their lunch. I would love to get that close to them in their natural habitat, in a kind of perverse way knowing that if they fancy it you'll be dead in 10 seconds flat. It's all on their terms and yet you can't communicate.

Wow amazing I assumed at that distance you became their lunch. I would love to get that close to them in their natural habitat, in a kind of perverse way knowing that if they fancy it you'll be dead in 10 seconds flat. It's all on their terms and yet you can't communicate.
Aye the guides seemed to know the behaviour of all the animals pretty well and apparently the animals see the safari truck and everyone in it as one big 'animal' and know that it doesn't posses any threat therefor don't bother about it.
It's always in the back of your mind that a lion or rhino might just be having a bad day and decide to have a go and there's f**k all you'd be able to do about it.

1 minute ago, spud131 said:

Aye the guides seemed to know the behaviour of all the animals pretty well and apparently the animals see the safari truck and everyone in it as one big 'animal' and know that it doesn't posses any threat therefor don't bother about it.
It's always in the back of your mind that a lion or rhino might just be having a bad day and decide to have a go and there's f**k all you'd be able to do about it.

If I was a lion or a rhino (bear* with me) I would keep everyone on their toes and have a wee fake stampede towards the truck or a big roar.

The guides will know when they can get close and when they cant, I imagine when the have cubs you have to keep your distance.

If I was a lion or a rhino (bear* with me) I would keep everyone on their toes and have a wee fake stampede towards the truck or a big roar. The guides will know when they can get close and when they cant, I imagine when the have cubs you have to keep your distance.  

We had a couple of elephants and a rhino mock charge us. The wife captured one of the elephants doing it. Needless to say we were all shitting ourselves!  

Here's the video of the lions passing right by the safari vehicle.

On 07/12/2019 at 23:50, Mackie The Staggie said:

49183372233_365146220d_c.jpg

I absolutely love this one.  Brilliant.

On 15/12/2019 at 03:28, spud131 said:

Few pics taken from my recent safari trip to South Africa. Might be a few more pics to follow once I get a chance to have a proper look through them all. DSC01535.jpeg

That's fantastic. 

On 15/12/2019 at 03:47, Adam101 said:

I spent a few days on safari/photographing in Tanzania last summer - and cannot recommend it highly enough.  There are few things better than seeing elephants, big cats, eagles etc. in their natural habitat.

Edited by arab_joe
Grammar