The Photography Thread

Woke yesterday morning to find a modern sculpture in the nouveau/supermercado style had been erected/placed across from my house.  I believe its the work of the local youth art branch known as the "Leetelsheetz" who's work can be seen all over town in various formats.  Not sure if it will compete with the Kelpies or Angel of the North, but i'm sure once it rusts, it will then have the "vintage" look the artists were craving.

Modern Art, eh ??

P1030418.JPG

Tonight I’ve been shopping for camera filters and what was meant to be a shopping spree became more of a learning session. It seems like there’s loads to consider when buying filters and it’s left me tearing my hair out as to which product I should but and which manufacturer. I’m resigned to having to spend a bit of money here.

I’m looking to get a kit with 3 ND Grad filters in it - a 1, 2 and 3 stop. If I have to buy the holder and adapter rings separately then so be it. I’m also wanting a polarising filter too.

My camera has a cropped sensor and tonight I’ve discovered that this means I will need hard edged ND grads. I believe soft edged filters on a cropped sensor camera will spread the effect of the filter too thinly and basically make it a mess. Cokin do hard edged ones in a kit but annoyingly the 3 stop one is a soft edge. (Wtf Cokin?) Lee filters look the business but cost a small fortune. Hitech filters also look decent.

As if this wasn’t enough to deal with, I was hoping to get a system that works for both my current lens (18-50mm) and a wide angle lens that I intend to buy at some point (perhaps 10-20mm). Is it doable to buy a system that works well for both or is this a case of sucking it up and buying a new system when I get the wide angle lens? If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it because this is driving me nuts.

On 10/09/2019 at 22:54, jamamafegan said:

Tonight I’ve been shopping for camera filters and what was meant to be a shopping spree became more of a learning session. It seems like there’s loads to consider when buying filters and it’s left me tearing my hair out as to which product I should but and which manufacturer. I’m resigned to having to spend a bit of money here.

I’m looking to get a kit with 3 ND Grad filters in it - a 1, 2 and 3 stop. If I have to buy the holder and adapter rings separately then so be it. I’m also wanting a polarising filter too.

My camera has a cropped sensor and tonight I’ve discovered that this means I will need hard edged ND grads. I believe soft edged filters on a cropped sensor camera will spread the effect of the filter too thinly and basically make it a mess. Cokin do hard edged ones in a kit but annoyingly the 3 stop one is a soft edge. (Wtf Cokin?) Lee filters look the business but cost a small fortune. Hitech filters also look decent.

As if this wasn’t enough to deal with, I was hoping to get a system that works for both my current lens (18-50mm) and a wide angle lens that I intend to buy at some point (perhaps 10-20mm). Is it doable to buy a system that works well for both or is this a case of sucking it up and buying a new system when I get the wide angle lens? If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it because this is driving me nuts.

I've got a Lee holder kit but with Hitech filters, 100x100 I think. Started using soft grads but was working with a guy who just used hard. You'd think it would leave a definite line across the image but it doesn't (full frame for me). You buy adjuster rings to fit the lens.

I've got a Lee holder kit but with Hitech filters, 100x100 I think. Started using soft grads but was working with a guy who just used hard. You'd think it would leave a definite line across the image but it doesn't (full frame for me). You buy adjuster rings to fit the lens.

I took the plunge and got my gear tonight. Got a Cokin filter kit with 3 ND grads, a filter holder, holder adapter ring and a Hoya polarising filter. Got the Z-Pro or large size with the hindsight that I may buy a wider angle lens later down the line. It’s probably cost me twice as much for everything but hoping I made a good decision there. Cost me 150 for the lot, had to go through 4 different companies to get all the stuff as cheap as possible. Pretty pleased in the end, looking forward to the deliveries.

Superb photos from Eigg as well [emoji106]

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Superb photos from Eigg as well emoji106.png

Cheers. There's another one on the Scottish Islands, you probably saw it 😉

Had some Cokin stuff back in the day but it was a plastic holder and a bit flimsy. Mind you that was probably in the days of film. However i was speaking to a Canadian guy last year who said Cokin were all the rage over there for quality and Lee wasn't really quoted, even though all the pros use them here. Think Cokin have/had 2 different standards. Anyway my stuff is metal, the holder and the rings. Maybe somebody else can comment.

Edited by The Mantis

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/09/2019 at 12:32, jamamafegan said:

Lads, how are you uploading your high def images onto this thread? I've somehow forgotten how to do it!

Not sure what you mean but if your saving your photos as JPEG after processing then click on choose files and find yer folder.

Either that or you were pissed when you posted this :-)

Tosser.jpg