The Photography Thread

Indeed, sir.  2 out of 3 aint bad in your photo.  Had you upset the wee turquoise fellae on the left or did he not understood your Fife twang saying "Haw neebs, ower here"  ??  😂😂

Great photo mate, especially with the smug smile of the big fellae  👍 

Bought a Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera with AF-P 18-55VR Lens today and renewed my adobe licence for Lightroom and Photoshop. How many of you capture  in RAW format and what edits do you usually make on every picture? One of my colleagues was telling me today I should only be capturing RAW images and not JPEG on my current camera.

19 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Bought a Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera with AF-P 18-55VR Lens today and renewed my adobe licence for Lightroom and Photoshop. How many of you capture  in RAW format and what edits do you usually make on every picture? One of my colleagues was telling me today I should only be capturing RAW images and not JPEG on my current camera.

You shoot in whatever mode you are comfortable with.

The D35OO is entry level and a decent camera but doesn't mean you have to shoot in any specific format. If you're just starting out I'd suggest sticking with JPEG until you've got your head around learning the exposure triangle i.e. Shutter speed/Aperture/ISO and how these work and compliment each other.

Once you've mastered that you can step up to Raw if you so wish. 

I shoot Raw but know many good photographers who shoot nothing but JPEG mostly because its easier and does a lot of the work for you. Raw gives you much more option to develop and manipulate photos further but its not the be all and end all.

I'll average between 5-10 mins per image in post processing if its a fairly standard shot and up to 20 mins if its something special. Sometimes more. That can be a ball ache if you've rattled off a 1000 shots on a day out.

Google is your friend and there are loads of videos on post processing on youtube.

And good lad for choosing Nikon!

11 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Don’t just use RAW because somebody tells you. Use JPEG till you feel it’s letting you down and you’re not getting the best out of the camera. Like Stevo says there’s plenty more to worry about first.

I used Photoshop alone for many years and took a while to see what use Lightroom was after it came out.

Nowadays I shoot RAW, download the pics, view them once in Preview (Mac native app), delete quite severely, import into Lightroom, delete some more, then tweak the best ones and move them into Photoshop before downsizing them and chucking them into albums on the Mac which then syncs with the iPad and phone for showing off to people.

If I want to post pictures on here, Facebook etc, I just take them straight from the albums. If I want them for a club competition the albums remind me what choice I’ve got, but I go back to the RAW file and spend time on it.

I still use JPEG if it’s a football match btw.

• 2 weeks later...