The Photography Thread

I was lucky enough to knock off one of the photography "bucket list" entries at the weekend. I've wanted to camp on a mountain called Sgurr na Stri for a long time to catch the sunrise hitting the east side of the Cuillin Ridge. It's a stunning viewpoint in the right conditions, but only possible with an overnighter on the summit ridge. This means hauling a full pack of camping gear, plus camera and tripod etc 4.5 miles from Kilmarie down to Camasunary Bay, then up a fairly rough corrie trail. Total ascent for the round trip is 900-odd metres which on a boiling hot couple of days was utterly brutal. The pain and sweat was well worth it though:

33655044096_90b00e9f1f_c.jpg

Edited by jupe1407

9 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

I was lucky enough to knock off one of the photography "bucket list" entries at the weekend. I've wanted to camp on a mountain called Sgurr na Stri for a long time to catch the sunrise hitting the east side of the Cuillin Ridge. It's a stunning viewpoint in the right conditions, but only possible with an overnighter on the summit ridge. This means hauling a full pack of camping gear, plus camera and tripod etc 4.5 miles from Kilmarie down to Camasunary Bay, then up a fairly rough corrie trail. Total ascent for the round trip is 900-odd metres which on a boiling hot couple of days was utterly brutal. The pain and sweat was well worth it though:

33655044096_90b00e9f1f_c.jpg

That's a cracking photo Jupe. Know the area very well as visit and camp at Loch Coruisk every second year. Did you come across the memorial plaque for the plane crash? A US F1-11 smashed into the mountain face in 1982 killing both pilot and navigator. Sad stuff.

Keep the photos coming. That's a belter.

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Thats a cracker Jupe, glad all the effort was rewarded, would have been a right pisser if was gray and overcast.

I've been at the sports (shocker I know) for the past couple of weeks.

33517970131_c309a8c8a6_z.jpg

32833718883_939b71ce02_z.jpg

32671876904_05693c38c7_z.jpg

32671943464_79262c3546_z.jpg

33342037156_9e1191b256_z.jpg

Thanks mate. I had about as certain a good weather forecast as is possible for Skye :lol:  

Excellent shots and image quality on those. What lens do you use?

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

That's a cracking photo Jupe. Know the area very well as visit and camp at Loch Coruisk every second year. Did you come across the memorial plaque for the plane crash? A US F1-11 smashed into the mountain face in 1982 killing both pilot and navigator. Sad stuff.

Keep the photos coming. That's a belter.

Cheers Stevo. If the memorial you mean is the Captain Marion cairn, no. It's on the wrong side. I walked in from Kilmarie. If i'd had time and not had the heavy pack I'd definitely have fancied following the coastal path round the base of Sgurr na Stri and ascended from the Coruisk side. The bad step might have been awkward with all the kit :lol:

There's an interesting account of the crash here. I mind reading it a while back when i was researching Sgurr na Stri: 

F111 Crash

10 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

It's hard to go wrong in such an amazing place. 

Aye but you made such an effort and that deserves a double-Charles.  I may be biased as my great grandmother was from Dunvegan but Skye is just about the bonniest place on the planet.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Aye but you made such an effort and that deserves a double-Charles.  I may be biased as my great grandmother was from Dunvegan but Skye is just about the bonniest place on the planet.

It's not biased tbf. Skye is magnificent. I marginally prefer Torridon (because I've always had good weather there :lol:)

My other half and I usually have a week in Skye every year, followed by a week in Torridon. Last year it utterly pished down for the first 4 days, but the last 3 were glorious. We passed by Dunvegan on the way out to take sunset photos at Neist Point. It's a fantastic part of the Island. 

Full marks tae you guys.
These are all stunning photographs.
I use a Nikon D70s but I'm now too auld tae climb every mountain so I confined myself tae taking photos of insects and plants.
This first one is my favourite.

pb01.jpg.d6e6dbf72db255050dd5146fa9850b11.jpg

pb02.jpg.557d9ab67b57c235b96d0af53263cf4b.jpg

pb03.jpg.b6727ee8d33f98b746dcfd2eb18bd30b.jpg

pb04.jpg.047327346632ed8dd3a82d3a2b194944.jpg

pb05a.jpg.b02db99556f0e6321369765bfb9482f0.jpg

pb06.jpg.b70dd522b69abefe12b744b672f8b424.jpg

Edited by Wee Willie

22 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Thanks mate. I had about as certain a good weather forecast as is possible for Skye :lol:  

Excellent shots and image quality on those. What lens do you use?

I'm using a 70-200 F2.8 Sigma Lens which is a bit short at times, would love to have a 70-400 but need to save up for that one.

Love the F111 blog btw, great read.