The Photography Thread

On 1/31/2018 at 13:25, Brother Blades said:

Great thread, first time I’ve dipped in. Stevo & Jupe are fantastic photographers, also great pictures from most on the thread, I’m very impressed indeed.
Do you guys ever “develop” & display the great pictures you take, or is all about progressing & getting better?
Personally, I’d have loads from here on my walls.

Cheers.

I've had a few in papers over the past couple of years and got a mention on Boogie in the morning ( radio Forth breakfast show) with the Humpback whale in the forth last March. Used the pics on their website and tweeted them which was good.

Mostly i stick to  Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages but thinking about a website sometime in the future.

Hey Stevo, thanks for the greenies as a subtle message that the thread has moved and is active   :lol:  Great photos btw.

I bought a decent 16-35mm for my camera.  Heading to a bothy on the Applecross peninsula at the weekend - the last time I was there the stars were out something beautiful.

I don't have a scooby what to do with landscape photography beyond the basics, so I'm looking forward to some trial and error.

I'm counting down the days until the salmon run, so that I can dolphin-watch at Chanonry all summer again.

Edited by bunglebonce

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Hey Stevo, thanks for the greenies as a subtle message that the thread has moved and is active   :lol:  Great photos btw.

I bought a decent 16-35mm for my camera.  Heading to a bothy on the Applecross peninsula at the weekend - the last time I was there the stars were out something beautiful.

I don't have a scooby what to do with landscape photography beyond the basics, so I'm looking forward to some trial and error.

I'm counting down the days until the salmon run, so that I can dolphin-watch at Chanonry all summer again.

No worries BB;)

Applecross is amazing. We're heading up again for the highland games in July. Amazing part of the country.

16-35 is perfect for landscapes. Just google it for info on settings.

Might bump into you at Chanonry this year. Got my best shots last August at 6am in the morning and near enough whole beach to myself. Great place!

Never seen as many blue tits as I've seen this winter, or long-tailed tits as I've seen over the last year. Good views of coal tits and great tits on a very wintry trip to Bavelaw yesterday. However, since this isn't the bird thread, I'll shut up until I can find one of those pictures that's any good. I'm hoping that I'll have a reasonable shot of one of the female reed buntings.

On 30/01/2018 at 16:20, Stevo Fife said:

Cheers bud.

I have the Sigma 150-600 Sport. Good lens but very heavy. Wasn't sharp out the box so had to buy the docking station and do the manual adjustment myself which took the best part of a full day. I use a Blackrapid harness for general carrying about and a Manfrotto tripod for static stuff.

I’ve had that lens too on a Canon since last summer. I hired one which was very good at the 600 end and then bought a new one. Not quite as sharp as the one I hired. Searched the net and couldn’t really find what the docking station was for. This is the first time I’ve seen evidence that you can calibrate the lens with it. For general carrying around I use the Canon 400mm f/5.6 prime.

Canon lets you calibrate your lenses anyway (although I haven’t checked if it works for 3rd party lenses) and I presume Nikon does too. So what’s the advantage of the dock as I gather it’s fairly pricy?

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I’ve had that lens too on a Canon since last summer. I hired one which was very good at the 600 end and then bought a new one. Not quite as sharp as the one I hired. Searched the net and couldn’t really find what the docking station was for. This is the first time I’ve seen evidence that you can calibrate the lens with it. For general carrying around I use the Canon 400mm f/5.6 prime.

Canon lets you calibrate your lenses anyway (although I haven’t checked if it works for 3rd party lenses) and I presume Nikon does too. So what’s the advantage of the dock as I gather it’s fairly pricy?

Most of the modern cameras allow you to AF fine tune but there are questions raised as to how accurate this is. I tried mine with a Nikon 50mm prime and worked fine but Nikon doesn't like 3rd party lens like Sigma, so AF fine tuning is way out hence the docking station option. The dock is around £40 which isn't much if your spending £1200 on glass. Often if a lens is out and cant be done via camera you have to send it back to Nikon (or Canon depending on which side of the fence you sit) which can take weeks. With the Sigma you can do it yourself fairly quickly.:)

10 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Most of the modern cameras allow you to AF fine tune but there are questions raised as to how accurate this is. I tried mine with a Nikon 50mm prime and worked fine but Nikon doesn't like 3rd party lens like Sigma, so AF fine tuning is way out hence the docking station option. The dock is around £40 which isn't much if your spending £1200 on glass. Often if a lens is out and cant be done via camera you have to send it back to Nikon (or Canon depending on which side of the fence you sit) which can take weeks. With the Sigma you can do it yourself fairly quickly.:)

Cheers Stevo, I’ll give it a go. Must have misheard the price somewhere, thought it was about £140 :lol:

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Cheers Stevo, I’ll give it a go. Must have misheard the price somewhere, thought it was about £140 :lol:

Here you go bud. This is what I paid for it a year ago so decent price. You just download the software and away you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Dock-Mount-Nikon-Lens/dp/B00CBQ5X5S

If you get stuck (especially at the 600mm long end ) give me a shout.