The Photography Thread

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

I hired this lens twice from Calumet/Wex in Leith and bought it the second time, and they refunded the hire.

Well, that's been a most enjoyable hour. I was completely unaware of this place, and have been in about their website since reading your post. If I didn't have an important lunchtime meeting in Nobles I would be heading up there in an hour's time.

I see they have some used 1.4x converters. Maybe I'll see about the hire-with-option option, and try one behind my 100-400 MkII, down at the Lagoons.

2 minutes ago, sugna said:

Well, that's been a most enjoyable hour. I was completely unaware of this place, and have been in about their website since reading your post. If I didn't have an important lunchtime meeting in Nobles I would be heading up there in an hour's time.

I see they have some used 1.4x converters. Maybe I'll see about the hire-with-option option, and try one behind my 100-400 MkII, down at the Lagoons.

Just remember a lot of the hire stuff comes up from London so you need to give them a couple of days. Also I got a new lens, not the hire one, but it came to my house next day. Maybe see you at the lagoons some day :thumsup2

10 hours ago, sugna said:

You'll  also lose a stop with the 1.4 TC .

These lagoons you are talking about. Is that the ones at Musselburgh?

10 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

These lagoons you are talking about. Is that the ones at Musselburgh?

Yep. There's almost always something interesting at the scrapes or over the sea wall.

Also, the area is dual-purpose: take the camera and the golf clubs. The big field used to be a great praccy, although the way they cut it these days gets in the way a bit.

31 minutes ago, sugna said:

Yep. There's almost always something interesting at the scrapes or over the sea wall.

Also, the area is dual-purpose: take the camera and the golf clubs. The big field used to be a great praccy, although the way they cut it these days gets in the way a bit.

Was down there last year. Quite enjoyed it. A few kingfishers at the river entrance as well.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Is that shot taken of a bird in captivity (white mouse) or in the wild??

All my stuff is wild. Don't believe in captive animals.

I occasionally use frozen white mice to attract certain species depending on location.

Pertinent question though.;)

I haven't had the camera out basically since June :lol: Combination of work being mental, fiancee being long term ill and me point-blank refusing to get up at 3am for sunrise. However Autumn is here, which means genuine dark skies and better light. These two are from a stunningly clear night in Glen Clova last weekend. Off up to Torridon/Assynt for a fortnight next weekend to try out a few shots I've planned and hopefully some clear nights/auroras. 

43054600060_725ea714ce_c.jpg

43955373945_f15203fc0c_c.jpg

27 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I haven't had the camera out basically since June :lol: Combination of work being mental, fiancee being long term ill and me point-blank refusing to get up at 3am for sunrise. However Autumn is here, which means genuine dark skies and better light. These two are from a stunningly clear night in Glen Clova last weekend. Off up to Torridon/Assynt for a fortnight next weekend to try out a few shots I've planned and hopefully some clear nights/auroras. 

What kind of exposure lengths did you have?