The Photography Thread

A few from a recent trip to the Isle of May. I’ve moved to manual mode now and I’m enjoying the results. Started buying photography magazines as well to pick up tips. I’m not sure what quality these will show up on PnB because I’ve saved them from my FB but hopefully they look relatively sharp...

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

19 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

A few from a recent trip to the Isle of May. I’ve moved to manual mode now and I’m enjoying the results. Started buying photography magazines as well to pick up tips. I’m not sure what quality these will show up on PnB because I’ve saved them from my FB but hopefully they look relatively sharp...

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Lovely set of photos there, I especially like the razorbill. I keep meaning to take a wee trip to May, there seems to be a lot of dolphins about around that way as well just now.

IMG_2920.thumb.jpg.a52ad1c49fe2168dd250fc060d519a97.jpg

IMG_2921.thumb.jpg.45202e5eac89f09388440334db3e483d.jpg

IMG_2922.thumb.jpg.8a5cee1d8045223e718881617ccbaf2d.jpg

IMG_2923.thumb.jpg.29525b1da23954547b28c8de5bd7dcef.jpg

IMG_2924.thumb.jpg.5c87f4d020c57cb08ac74de16fb785ef.jpg

IMG_2925.thumb.jpg.87f96d921409453e8ce0048c585e1f46.jpg

The puffin really is a glorious looking bird.

On 7/30/2018 at 14:11, jamamafegan said:

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Crackers :thumsup2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking for some advice on lenses. I want to make the step up to improve my wildlife photography. I currently use a 55-300mm Nikon kit lense. It’s done me really well however there’s many occasions where I can’t get close enough to my subjects without spooking them and I feel the time is now to start looking at getting a new lense. I think my photography is decent and I’m wanting to take it more seriously now and see where it leads me.

I don’t have a lot of money to spend and it will take me a while to save. Ideally I’m looking to get something no more than £1000. If people advise I should add a couple hundred onto the budget to get the best value for money lense then I am open to that. I’ve seen that Tamron and Sigma do good value for money lenses. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I’d be very appreciative.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Looking for some advice on lenses. I want to make the step up to improve my wildlife photography. I currently use a 55-300mm Nikon kit lense. It’s done me really well however there’s many occasions where I can’t get close enough to my subjects without spooking them and I feel the time is now to start looking at getting a new lense. I think my photography is decent and I’m wanting to take it more seriously now and see where it leads me.

I don’t have a lot of money to spend and it will take me a while to save. Ideally I’m looking to get something no more than £1000. If people advise I should add a couple hundred onto the budget to get the best value for money lense then I am open to that. I’ve seen that Tamron and Sigma do good value for money lenses. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I’d be very appreciative.

For the reach you are looking for I'd suggest either the Sigma Contemporary or the Sigma Sport. Both 150-600. Difference between the two as far as optics are concerned are minimal.  The Sport is weather sealed (waterproof) and very heavy! A better build quality IMO.

I cant comment on the Tamron as I've never used one but before i bought the Sigma S I researched them both and Sigma came out tops.

The C (brand new) will set you back between £750-£850 depending on where you shop. The S will set you back nearer £1200

There's a post on hear a few pages back about the Sigma about calibrating the Sigma to get the best out of it. You need the dock to do this.

Downside is the lenses stop at f5.3 so really need a fair bit of light (sun) for them to perform at their best and get sharp shots. That's the frustrating bit.

Here's a shot I got yesterday and was a bit cloudy so so couldn't get the mix right so fairly high ISO (grain effect on photo)

That aside, the Sigma is a good sharp lens.

logo 1600 x 1200 (1 of 1).jpg

Edited by Stevo Fife
typo

22 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

For the reach you are looking for I'd suggest either the Sigma Contemporary or the Sigma Sport. Both 150-600. Difference between the two as far as optics are concerned are minimal.  The Sport is weather sealed (waterproof) and very heavy! A better build quality IMO.

I cant comment on the Tamron as I've never used one but before i bought the Sigma S I researched them both and Sigma came out tops.

The C (brand new) will set you back between £750-£850 depending on where you shop. The S will set you back nearer £1200

There's a post on hear a few pages back about the Sigma about calibrating the Sigma to get the best out of it. You need the dock to do this.

Downside is the lenses stop at f5.3 so really need a fair bit of light (sun) for them to perform at their best and get sharp shots. That's the frustrating bit.

Here's a shot I got yesterday and was a bit cloudy so so couldn't get the mix right so fairly high ISO (grain effect on photo)

That aside, the Sigma is a good sharp lens.

logo 1600 x 1200 (1 of 1).jpg

Thanks for your reply Stevo and cracking photos as always. If I was to get any of the lenses you mentioned there it would be the Sigma sport. You say it's waterproofed - is this a necessity for shooting wildlife in the rain? My camera  (Nikon D3200) isn't waterproof so I feel having a waterproof lense and not a camera would be a bit pointless - and thought that I could maybe water proof both myself somehow through use of a cover or whatnot.

This review covers a lense that interests me - it also mentions your sigma lense: https://www.naturettl.com/wildlife-photographers-review-nikon-200-500mm-f5-6-lens/

The only thing that really puts me off is the f stop at 5/6 because I'm worried I won't get proper use out of the lense here in gloomy Scotland. That said, I think I'm right in saying if I want to go lower than that the price of a lense shoots right up?

It's a daunting thing looking for the right lense when there's so much money involved and so many lenses to choose - especially for an amateur like myself who doesn't quite understand all the lingo yet -  so your input and input from other photographers is very much appreciated. I feel like I can't go into a shop to ask the same questions because they of course just want to make their dollar.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Thanks for your reply Stevo and cracking photos as always. If I was to get any of the lenses you mentioned there it would be the Sigma sport. You say it's waterproofed - is this a necessity for shooting wildlife in the rain? My camera  (Nikon D3200) isn't waterproof so I feel having a waterproof lense and not a camera would be a bit pointless - and thought that I could maybe water proof both myself somehow through use of a cover or whatnot.

This review covers a lense that interests me - it also mentions your sigma lense: https://www.naturettl.com/wildlife-photographers-review-nikon-200-500mm-f5-6-lens/

The only thing that really puts me off is the f stop at 5/6 because I'm worried I won't get proper use out of the lense here in gloomy Scotland. That said, I think I'm right in saying if I want to go lower than that the price of a lense shoots right up?

It's a daunting thing looking for the right lense when there's so much money involved and so many lenses to choose - especially for an amateur like myself who doesn't quite understand all the lingo yet -  so your input and input from other photographers is very much appreciated. I feel like I can't go into a shop to ask the same questions because they of course just want to make their dollar.

Hiya mate, you can buy waterproof covers here http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/

Good selection and I use them for all my gear.

To be honest the weather sealing isn't the be all and end all but I've been out a few times in showers and rain and its come in very handy. Weather here is so unpredictable. Carry a bin liner and elastic bands for emergencies.

I cant comment on the Nikon lens but I'm sure its a very good lens. If i remember correctly the D3200 is cropped sensor so your going to get extra reach on  whatever lens you use. Buy the Sigma and your talking 900mm which is ideal for wildlife.

You are spot on in that you want lower F stops your talking more money. The Nikon 300mm is a great lens, razor sharp but around £1600 plus you'll need a 1.4 teleconverter to boost the reach.

I'm very much a fair weather photographer so sunny/bright days suit me best. I'm saving up for a prime but I'll be years away yet.

Not sure where you live but Wex in Edinburgh (used to be Calumet) rent out lens for a day so you can try before you by. Worthwhile looking for 2nd hand as well. Try MPB to see what they have in stock.

I've just noted your a St Johnstone fan. Good shop in Perth  http://www.jrsphoto.co.uk/ 

Guys are very friendly and helpful and sure they can offer advice.

On 05/09/2018 at 14:31, jamamafegan said:

Couple of things to add to what Stevo says. If you zoom it to 600mm the aperture is f/6.3. I hired this lens twice from Calumet/Wex in Leith and bought it the second time, and they refunded the hire. You can get it on a Friday and return it Monday, and only pay for 1 day. In fact once I’m sure I even hired a lens on Thursday as it was Easter and they were closed Friday :lol:

I’ve not used the C version but I did hire the Tamron equivalent with a mate over a weekend and it was pretty soft. Big difference in weight and bulk with the S so I only use it in hides etc with a pole. I don’t handhold it much, I’ve got a Canon 400mm prime for that.

I also hired a Canon 600mm f/4 prime lens once, about £10k worth. Nearly impossible to manhandle :lol:

Without going into all the boring physics, you just have to remember what f stops actually mean. So for f/4 on a 600mm lens, you’re really talking the aperture being 1/4 of the length, I.e. 150mm or 6 inches. That’s why they’re not small or cheap.

Edited by The Mantis