The Photography Thread

44 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Went to Beauly for the MacTavish Cup game against Lochaber today, while I got some good results, it confirmed I need that extra length. 

39333486970_ff5836a7cf_c.jpg

I'll dispense with the Kenneth Williams pic and just say that's my favourite. ;)

Complete beginner with regards to photography. Looking to purchase a decent entry level camera to take photos when I’m out hiking.

Was going to go for the Nikon D3400 package
https://m.slrhut.co.uk/product/1/5/2360

Although a guy at work who knows his stuff says I’d be better of with a mirrorless Sony
https://m.slrhut.co.uk/product/1/68/1584

With the Nikon, I’d be getting more for my money but I’m assuming the Sony is a better product.

Thoughts or guidance would help. Any other recommendations in the £3-500 bracket to get me started.

26 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Complete beginner with regards to photography. Looking to purchase a decent entry level camera to take photos when I’m out hiking.

Although a guy at work who knows his stuff says I’d be better of with a mirrorless Sony

With the Nikon, I’d be getting more for my money but I’m assuming the Sony is a better product.

Thoughts or guidance would help. Any other recommendations in the £3-500 bracket to get me started.

I started out with the Nikon's previous incarnation, the D3200 plus kit lens, I got good results in ideal conditions, but if you're just after something for landscapes, I'd look at a couple of the used camera sites - I've used the likes of MBP Photographic a few times for kit and never had an issue. For example, you could pick up a barely used D3400 with a Sigma 18-250mm lens on there for a fraction over £500. 

If you're just wanting something for hiking, the Nikon deal there isn't brilliant, kit lenses are invariably poor and the 70-300mm there isn't great either. I used the Sigma 18-250mm for hillwalking with both my Nikon and Canon cameras early on and found it a great walkaround lens, which covered most of the shots i needs without faffing about changing lens.

The Sony A6000 isn't actually that great compared to the Nikon D3400. The 16-50mm kit lens is truly awful. I actually bought the A6000 as a "hillwalking" camera when I couldn't be fucked carrying the Canon full frame out and about and ended up barely using it. If you're buying a Sony, you're better holding off until you budget allows you to go full frame. Sony's lens selection is heavily weight to full frame as well. The range they have for crop sensors at the budget end is dismal. 

22 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I've got 2 Canon bodies and all the fancy lenses I'll ever need. But if I'm out walking I carry a Lumix DX7 (not sure which model they've reached nowadays). It has a metal body (not plastic), modest zoom and a Leica lens. All the different modes, timers etc you'll ever need. Also shoots RAW. About £250 and combine it with a £30 Gorillapod for long exposures. Even goes in a jacket pocket if you're at football.

I realise this question may upset the purists, however I have a video related question.
I'm looking for (free) idiot proof video editing software and wonder if any of you esteemed chaps could point me in the right direction?

Try Go pro editing software, it's pretty straightforward and importantly- free. Download from their site.

2 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Try Go pro editing software, it's pretty straightforward and importantly- free. Download from their site.

It may be idiot proof but is it Zen Archer idiot proof?

So I finally caved in and sourced myself a 2nd hand D500 and Sigma 150-600 Sports over the past few weeks, getting it just in time for this weekend.  So a manic Friday was spent reading up on the new camera and lens before taking in another Shinty game on the weekend.

First of all, loving the reach, normally I camp near 1 end of the pitch but now I can take a more central position and capture more of the game.  I'll still be using the Sony with the F2.8 70-200 for closer action but need to find a way to easily swap between both.  Secondly, that thing is heavy, even on the monopod I could feel the difference, not unworkable but definitely a challenge.   One great thing about it is that I can push/pull the zoom rather than using the focus ring, which makes it easier to go through the range of the lens.

40563161335_f114b8e708_c.jpg

41456847041_6cc0eefa3a_c.jpg

41456877581_c9b8c0196c_c.jpg

41456904801_0f0261c943_c.jpg

40563122655_cb46f67c84_c.jpg

40742475924_abac701fd5_c.jpg

Right.  I'm prepared for the ripping I'll get for this, but I'm trying to find the location that an old photo I have.

The photo in question may, or may not, feature a very young KnightswoodBear.  

It's taken on the Forth and Clyde Canal, somewhere between Maryhill and Clydebank (I think), but I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.

IMG-20180418-WA0000.jpg