The Photography Thread

Apologies, tried to edit my post and deleted the whole thread by mistake!

So, we'll start again:rolleyes:...

Cheers guys. Yes, It's a Cairngorm reindeer to be precise. They roam free near the ski centre. Stunning beasts and allow you to get fairly close.

Only been "into" photography for a couple of years but like anything else you get better with practice and more importantly learning about good light, aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Read up on it, watch Youtube tutorials and practice :-)

I'll put up a few more photos (starting with the reindeer and please feel free to chip in with your own shots.

_SDJ6130-Edit.jpg

4 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Apologies, tried to edit my post and deleted the whole thread by mistake!

So, we'll start again:rolleyes:...

Cheers guys. Yes, It's a Cairngorm reindeer to be precise. They roam free near the ski centre. Stunning beasts and allow you to get fairly close.

Only been "into" photography for a couple of years but like anything else you get better with practice and more importantly learning about good light, aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Read up on it, watch Youtube tutorials and practice :-)

I'll put up a few more photos (starting with the reindeer and please feel free to chip in with your own shots.

_SDJ6130-Edit.jpg

How the f**k did you manage to delete the thread? :lol: Your face when you found out you had chucked the thread in the bin must have been a picture. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

To be honest, it could do with a freshen up:P

The new heads gone threads gone thread imo. :wub:

I'd post some pics myself but they aren't done on a proper camera, one in particular that had a weird rainbow caught in the sky a few years ago. It is apparently a very rare phenomenon, looks like an upside down rainbow up in the sky but I had to do a lot of fiddling with the colour, gamma and contrast to make it look see-able on the screen because it was a shitty camera with a crappy zoom function.

Edited by hellbhoy
mo info

This was in the sky for around 20mins and is not an optical illusion from the lens, first the original pic around 15mins after the phenomenon and was fading away away at the time of the shot so isn't as visible as it first was, zoom function wasn't great at full before heading into digital zoom. The second I edited on nero photo app to bring out the freaky rainbow. It was truly a bizarre feeling looking at it, was something to do with enough moisture in the air and the exact moment where the sun had been in the sky for this to happen.

58ab9d2b12232_RainbowintheskyoriginaPBl.thumb.JPG.2943e446d38706abd9b63547d42855d1.JPG

And after some tweaking.

58ab9d36b6e7c_RaionbowintheskyPB.thumb.jpg.fd28a2df5845138df4f48dcbedb5f84f.jpg

I kid you not here, a Christian friend of mine joked? at least I think he joked that if viewed a particular way you can see the planet Niburu/planet X in the pic and the rainbow is the key to spotting it? and shows the curve of the edge of it?? :lol:

8 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

God knows! I got confused with the quotes and tried to reverse the damage:rolleyes:

Where was the dolphin pic taken? I go up to Chanonry point quite a lot in summer. Great place.

230716_0109.jpg

230716_0145.jpg

230716_0232.jpg

Chanonry is where I go, it's about 30-40 mins drive from my place.  That mother and calf are about a fair bit, but I've not got those close-ups.

I've arrived there with a whole school of dolphins feeding a metre from the shore, but by the time I've sprinted down the beach they were half way out into the firth!  I'm determined to get them close up this year.

I started photography as a hobby a few years back and have mainly focused on sporting activities, I have tried to do landscape or urban photo's but have never been happy with the results, might be something I try and work on this year I suppose.

Anyway, a few from last year before I start again this weekend.

27863096132_9275e5c48a_z.jpg

27725716051_80a3bf283d_z.jpg

27678491561_3b33076834_z.jpg

27059440674_7d092d4622_z.jpg

On 21/02/2017 at 01:55, hellbhoy said:

This was in the sky for around 20mins and is not an optical illusion from the lens, first the original pic around 15mins after the phenomenon and was fading away away at the time of the shot so isn't as visible as it first was, zoom function wasn't great at full before heading into digital zoom. The second I edited on nero photo app to bring out the freaky rainbow. It was truly a bizarre feeling looking at it, was something to do with enough moisture in the air and the exact moment where the sun had been in the sky for this to happen.

58ab9d2b12232_RainbowintheskyoriginaPBl.thumb.JPG.2943e446d38706abd9b63547d42855d1.JPG

And after some tweaking.

58ab9d36b6e7c_RaionbowintheskyPB.thumb.jpg.fd28a2df5845138df4f48dcbedb5f84f.jpg

I kid you not here, a Christian friend of mine joked? at least I think he joked that if viewed a particular way you can see the planet Niburu/planet X in the pic and the rainbow is the key to spotting it? and shows the curve of the edge of it?? :lol:

Unusual right enough. Amazing what a camera can pick up that the naked eye often misses. Good effort.

On 21/02/2017 at 07:55, bunglebonce said:

Chanonry is where I go, it's about 30-40 mins drive from my place.  That mother and calf are about a fair bit, but I've not got those close-ups.

I've arrived there with a whole school of dolphins feeding a metre from the shore, but by the time I've sprinted down the beach they were half way out into the firth!  I'm determined to get them close up this year.

Rising tide is the time to go. Good ap for the phone = Tide Times Uk.

I've seen me standing there for best part of 3 hours with my wellies on to get in front of the crowd:thumsup2

On 21/02/2017 at 19:38, Mackie The Staggie said:

I started photography as a hobby a few years back and have mainly focused on sporting activities, I have tried to do landscape or urban photo's but have never been happy with the results, might be something I try and work on this year I suppose.

Anyway, a few from last year before I start again this weekend.

27863096132_9275e5c48a_z.jpg

27725716051_80a3bf283d_z.jpg

27678491561_3b33076834_z.jpg

27059440674_7d092d4622_z.jpg

Good photos. Nice and sharp.

20 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I hope we can get this thread updated regularly. I like wildlife photography but I'm still trying to get to grips with all the settings and stuff. It's not easy. Took this one recently. Came out pretty good.

32921895882_66f8f4ca42_c.jpg

No worries mate. We'll keep it going and if you need any help with settings just ask.

Main thing is to try and get your head around Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO. Move away from auto mode and shoot in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority until you get the feel for it. Then gradually move to manual. One thing I've learnt is in Scotland you'll need to keep your ISO around 800 upwards as very seldom enough light to get good photos. Watch not set ISO to high or you get grainy photos (noise) but depends on quality of camera sensor.

My advice, take plenty of photos and look at settings on Lightroom or photoshop (or whatever you use to post process). You'll soon see where you go wrong.

Bought a second hand Sony A230 a couple of years ago and played with it for a few weeks and then it got put away in a cupboard. Got it back out last year and got a few lessons which helped massively.

Really like the wildlife stuff although it's abit harder than landscapes etc due to them being moving subjects etc.

_DSC5126.thumb.JPG.f7c4ab328dc74116759fb8e42135e64d.JPGth.thumb.jpg.f815d8c97beea841395a348450a6f766.jpg_DSC5144.thumb.JPG.c9dd595070dbd7825311dbf33c755557.JPG_DSC4651.thumb.JPG.776442bf12c34fbde55862b27fad6e95.JPG

Edited by spud131

I've been into landscape/nightscape stuff for about 3-4 years. Favourite places are Skye and Torridon, the scenery is incredible and it's hard to go wrong there in decent light. I shoot a lot when i'm hillwalking as well, which in the right conditions can get some pretty cool results. 

32365750222_5a0504a018_c.jpg

An Ruadh Stac, Torridon

30421007111_0184a13e8a_c.jpg

Old Sligachan Bridge & Sgurr nan Gillean, Skye

30458391705_3000c5145d_c.jpg

The Quiraing, Skye

33172830325_8b48c19eef_c.jpg

Airlie Monument & Northern Lights, near Kirriemuir