The Photography Thread

Photo's from a track day last week at Golspie which I've only just got around to editing......just struggling atm to get any enthusiasm going. 

Just went out to focus (pun intended) on panning techniques, still not as good as I want to be but getting there.  Need a smaller lens for the Nikon though, the Sigma 150-600 is too heavy to get right down on the low shutter speeds I want to hit. 

50333856243_5be6f56a79_c.jpg

50334702887_b29ec93d77_c.jpg

50334550431_3fd6b5d8c1_c.jpg

4. (not a pan but definitely the best sounding car of the meet)

50334531976_f5a7026bdd_c.jpg

Fancy. What does it weigh?

1.42kg. Has a max load of 14kg which is plenty and at full height without the central column extended it’s pretty much at a perfect height to my eye level. Comes with additional spiked feet and a short centre column for low level photography. Should be perfect for both landscape and wildlife although I’ll need to get a ball head for the landscapes stuff at some point.

14 hours ago, philpy said:

Advice needed please. Getting a new camera, budget of £340 (broke my Sony, got insurance pay out).  Been looking at the can eos4000d. Any good?? 

Have you considered secondhand?  Some decent buys to be had on Ebay, etc if you do your research and are happy to take a chance.

Edited by Hard Graft

16 hours ago, philpy said:

Advice needed please. Getting a new camera, budget of £340 (broke my Sony, got insurance pay out).  Been looking at the can eos4000d. Any good?? 

I've got the Canon 750D which is over 4 years old, but is the High End of Canon Entry Level (only model higher is the 760D, which internally is identical - only difference is it has a wee LCD at the top). It's a great camera that will last a beginner a while before it starts to limit you.

Had a quick look on mpb.com, and though it's a little above your budget, you can get one in like new condition for just over £340 (without lens). Then a 18-55mm Lens for about £60. Not purchased from them before, but on the Photography forum I am on, the reviews are generally very good.

16 hours ago, philpy said:

Not used that camera or Cannon at all but reading a few reviews and it looks like a really good entry level DSLR.  For a beginner I would happily recommend this with no concerns, however if your looking for something  a bit more advanced (Higher FPS for action or better ISO for working in low light) then you'll be limited with the 4000d.

However I would echo what others have said about the second hand market.  I've purchased 2nd hand from WEX and ParkCamera's without being able to hold the camera, however both have a really good grading system which gives a good indication of the condition. 

Remember that the most important factor (apart from the photographer themselves) is the lens rather than the body, if possible buying an older second hand body and getting a better lens would be the ideal option as long as it keeps within the budget.

On 16/09/2020 at 17:58, philpy said:

10 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

However I would echo what others have said about the second hand market.  I've purchased 2nd hand from WEX and ParkCamera's without being able to hold the camera, however both have a really good grading system which gives a good indication of the condition. 

I've used Wex and  Ffordes in Beauly second hand, both have very good grading systems and the 5D iv which is now my main body came from up north to Midlothian the next day.

Spoiler

Cue @Stevo Fife "Canon are shit mate" 😂

Edited by The Mantis