The Photography Thread

2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

P1030792.JPG

We’ve been alternating the feeders in our garden. Starlings and their young can’t get enough of the half coconut with fat and seeds, whereas the seed feeder and table seems to be pretty popular with the blue & great tits, sparrows and big Geoff the pigeon.

ETA: Will need to take pics.

Edited by 8MileBU

29 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Superb.

Well I’m about the same distance away as your username so it’s the first time I’ve been in the toon for months 😉

There was a Tawny Owl hooting away in the woods next to the castle all the time I was there.

Edited by The Mantis

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Well I’m about the same distance away as your username so it’s the first time I’ve been in the toon for months 😉

There was a Tawny Owl hooting away in the woods next to the castle all the time I was there.

I heard one in George Square/Meadows walking home back in February.

Maybe the same one.

On 06/07/2020 at 12:28, hearthammer said:

Just watching the birds from the back bedroom

P1030782.JPG

Starlings love the fat and seeds eh? Ours seem to attract every starling in Falkirk and a wee gang of sparrows and big Geoff the pigeon usually turns up on his tod and eats all the scraps from the flower bed below.

Just crappy phone pics of the starlings just now.

A0C15F05-84D0-4604-91E3-01EC41C1D92A.jpeg

A085272E-529D-481E-80FA-AB2A1D983EFF.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Starlings love the fat and seeds eh? Ours seem to attract every starling in Falkirk and a wee gang of sparrows and big Jeff the pigeon usually turns up on his tod and eats all the scraps from the flower bed below.

Just crappy phone pics of the starlings just now.

A0C15F05-84D0-4604-91E3-01EC41C1D92A.jpeg

A085272E-529D-481E-80FA-AB2A1D983EFF.jpeg

It's great to watch - if they survive el gato from nearby.  I also get magpies and crows that bully the sparrows away from the feeder and the grass.  I find the whole watching them time very relaxing.

9 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

It's great to watch - if they survive el gato from nearby.  I also get magpies and crows that bully the sparrows away from the feeder and the grass.  I find the whole watching them time very relaxing.

Aye it’s good. I’ve sat for hours at a time with the wee lass spotting what birds arrive in the garden and looking up some of the ones we’ve been unsure of in her bird book. It’s been fun spotting and identifying the variety of birds we’ve had. Surprisingly far more types than we’d have expected. There’s a female blackbird that visits pretty often. Fucking noisy wee thing! Some chanter.

ETA: What’s el gato?

Edited by 8MileBU

9 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Aye it’s good. I’ve sat for hours at a time with the wee lass spotting what birds arrive in the garden and looking up some of the ones we’ve been unsure of in her bird book. It’s been fun spotting and identifying the variety of birds we’ve had. Surprisingly far more types than we’d have expected. There’s a female blackbird that visits pretty often. Fucking noisy wee thing! Some chanter.

ETA: What’s el gato?

It's Spanish for cat.  Had a starling caught a week or so ago (see photos above). 

It was June 22nd.

P1030757.JPG

Edited by hearthammer

Can anyone recommend a decent online printer for bog standard snaps, no corrections needed? My nieces are breeding like rabbits and I get sent a constant stream of whatsapp pics, mostly from their Mums tbf, to show their grandma, who doesn't do phones. So when I eventually get round to showing them to her it's an impatient swipe swipe swipe and they're gone, which I feel a bit guilty about. I'm after ease of uploading, reasonable quality and price, and preferably quick delivery.  

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Can anyone recommend a decent online printer for bog standard snaps, no corrections needed? My nieces are breeding like rabbits and I get sent a constant stream of whatsapp pics, mostly from their Mums tbf, to show their grandma, who doesn't do phones. So when I eventually get round to showing them to her it's an impatient swipe swipe swipe and they're gone, which I feel a bit guilty about. I'm after ease of uploading, reasonable quality and price, and preferably quick delivery.  

I got a few canvas prints from Photobox which were good quality. They often have a promo code on the go, sometimes it's for a certain product and sometimes it's just a general saving.

5 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I got a few canvas prints from Photobox which were good quality. They often have a promo code on the go, sometimes it's for a certain product and sometimes it's just a general saving.

Cheers, but I just want paper prints like the olden days, matt or glossy. Are they actually printed on canvas?

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Cheers, but I just want paper prints like the olden days, matt or glossy. Are they actually printed on canvas?

Oh you can get that from them, I've just only got canvas prints done so can't say for certain how good small prints are.  Going buy the canvas I got i doubt there will be an issue.

Worth googling free prints as I've seen a few companies offer 'x' amount of free prints, you just have to pay the postage. Never used them so cant comment on the quality or whether there are any hidden fees.