The Photography Thread

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I’ve eaten horse previously and found it quite tasty. There’s neigh way my other half would though and she’d be pretty pissed off if I did in her company. As I said, she comes from a family who’ve always owned horses. 

FTFY

At the very beginning of the year I found out one of my friends that I had grown up with had passed away in his sleep aged 44. He was like a brother to me, like a real brother in the fact that he pretty much stayed with us all the time when we were kids after his mum moved out and his dad took to the pub. As we got older we saw less of each other but it was never awkward when we did.
Anyway I digress, when I found out I went to the beach just to have some quiet time before I went home and this happened. I know it's just coincidence but still, it looked the part. 20190101_104938.jpeg

27 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

I’m fairly new to photography and have started trying to get some nice night time star shots. Can anyone recommend any good areas in Fife suitable for dark sky type shoots?

Here’s a satellite shot which tells you that Fife is not exactly the best place for dark skies, maybe Tentsmuir or thereabouts would be worth a try.

256CE47C-020E-4643-B10C-A20AF933A424.thumb.jpeg.2d7ac11fd1ddff99359b3d9ff0d7be34.jpeg

Here’s one I took on the way back from Palmerston watching ICT the other week, at the Devil’s Beef Tub. I left the car lights in deliberately, to light up the hillside, although some folk might have left them out. Dark as f**k down there and one car every 10 mins.

D8A6956E-4EB6-4C83-AD17-82D1358F344E.thumb.jpeg.eabd33d5754c6279c5a43574c60af0a7.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

50 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Here’s a satellite shot which tells you that Fife is not exactly the best place for dark skies, maybe Tentsmuir or thereabouts would be worth a try.

256CE47C-020E-4643-B10C-A20AF933A424.thumb.jpeg.2d7ac11fd1ddff99359b3d9ff0d7be34.jpeg

Here’s one I took on the way back from Palmerston watching ICT the other week, at the Devil’s Beef Tub. I left the car lights in deliberately, to light up the hillside, although some folk might have left them out. Dark as f**k down there and one car every 10 mins.

D8A6956E-4EB6-4C83-AD17-82D1358F344E.thumb.jpeg.eabd33d5754c6279c5a43574c60af0a7.jpeg

Thank you! What a great shot there, I love that photo. What settings did you use for that?

I’m up in Aberdeenshire this week so will try heading up the Bennachie if I get the chance.

Edited by statts1976uk

11 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Thank you! What a great shot there, I love that photo. What settings did you use for that?

I’m up in Aberdeenshire this week so will try heading up the Bennachie if I get the chance.

16 secs, f/4, iso 3200. The orange glow on the right above the hills will be Moffat, about 5 miles away.

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Is that a double exposure? Just noticed this picture and thought "how the hell did they get the stars to show", then noticed the stars showing on the rocket itself. P.S. Just noticed you said one car every ten minutes so probably not. :lol:

image.thumb.png.d989e702c6f9de01e6157445cff4a1fa.png

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/12/an-ariane-rocket-launches-for-the-250th-time-the-views-were-jawdropping/

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is that a double exposure? Just noticed this picture and thought "how the hell did they get the stars to show", then noticed the stars showing on the rocket itself.

No, mine is just one shot. That other one's just sloppy tbh, would only have taken seconds to sort it.

Edited by The Mantis