The Photography Thread

Was at the camera club last night for the Annual Cups awards. Got an unbelievable 20/20 for all 3 digital images. Obviously have to tell somebody.

The first is 'Metrosexual' which was taken with an iPhone. The other two are 'Caledonian Isles' and 'Killing Machine'.

memb08_metrosexual.thumb.jpg.316a57cff17ed166c4d28a58e6d90677.jpgmemb08_caledonian_isles.thumb.jpg.a556039a20a32b9c925a728de3437cc7.jpgmemb08_killing_machine.thumb.jpg.31d7daefdeaf0a4486ea1302abf9c3fb.jpg

The dinky wee trophy looks like this:

7617_12094297965559d15d23945.jpg.929556bc64bac0d2346b6614ba3918bd.jpg

Have started to really enjoy the simple art of taking photos.  What's a decent reliable camera that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?  

This was taken on my Huawei Mate 10 Pro from the Top of the Rock looking down towards the Empire State. 

TOTR.thumb.jpg.029b8a745751da2797c6ec3481d89ca1.jpg

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Have started to really enjoy the simple art of taking photos.  What's a decent reliable camera that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?  

This was taken on my Huawei Mate 10 Pro from the Top of the Rock looking down towards the Empire State. 

Probably better to state your budget first, then @Stevo Fife will be in with the Nikon suggestions and me with the Canon :lol: 

But the market is crammed so there are no poor cameras. Sony make some real winners  these days, and for holidays I carry a Panasonic Lumix compact which is excellent for about £250. I'm selling a Canon 6D at the moment but it's body only and probably not what you're after as an entry level camera. You have permission to pass the word around though :lol:

Edited by The Mantis

10 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Was at the camera club last night for the Annual Cups awards. Got an unbelievable 20/20 for all 3 digital images. Obviously have to tell somebody.

The first is 'Metrosexual' which was taken with an iPhone. The other two are 'Caledonian Isles' and 'Killing Machine'.

memb08_metrosexual.thumb.jpg.316a57cff17ed166c4d28a58e6d90677.jpgmemb08_caledonian_isles.thumb.jpg.a556039a20a32b9c925a728de3437cc7.jpgmemb08_killing_machine.thumb.jpg.31d7daefdeaf0a4486ea1302abf9c3fb.jpg

The dinky wee trophy looks like this:

7617_12094297965559d15d23945.jpg.929556bc64bac0d2346b6614ba3918bd.jpg

Well done. Looks like you got the Sigma pretty much spot on for the Osprey shot;)

29 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Probably better to state your budget first, then @Stevo Fife will be in with the Nikon suggestions and me with the Canon :lol: 

But the market is crammed so there are no poor cameras. Sony make some real winners  these days, and for holidays I carry a Panasonic Lumix compact which is excellent for about £250. I'm selling a Canon 6D at the moment but it's body only and probably not what you're after as an entry level camera. You have permission to pass the word around though :lol:

Canon are shit. Nikon all the way:lol:

8 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

To be honest, most entry level camera's are good enough, most of my improvements have come from having better lenses on rather than moving up the scale (I will contradict that by saying as I mainly shot sports,I did find the need to move up a few levels to get something that had better auto-focusing and shots more FPS, but it was very specific to my needs)

Nikon and Cannon are still the 2 big hitters with a wide range of lenses from 3rd partys along with their own, Sony sometimes suffers from a smaller range of lenses to chose from, however Sony seem to be beating the 2 major brands when it comes to the new mirrorless cameras (although I've not kept up with it over the last year or so.) 

2nd hand is the way to go though, and if possible see  if you have an independent camera store nearby, they will most likely have a second hand range and you can actually get to see how it feels, then go with the one that feels comfortable, you'll be (hopefully) using it a lot.

12 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Canon are shit. Nikon all the way:lol:

12 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Well done. Looks like you got the Sigma pretty much spot on for the Osprey shot;)

Nah, that was Canon :thumsup2

Currently have a Lumix FZ72 which is more than enough for the use i make of it.  Benefits are that it has a 60x zoom which is great for bringing far away really close & has a full HD video that also benefits from the mega zoom.  Im not competent enough to consider upgrading to a "professional" camera and the concomitant hefty outlay.

The camera allows me to achieve what im looking for in getting (now and again) fairly decent shots.  Its very much about getting a camera that is within your budget and brings you results you are happy with.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...