The Photography Thread

On 11/29/2018 at 18:35, sugna said:

We had a drake in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, nicknamed Gerry (gerry-manderin'). Quite an assertive fellow, particularly in the mating season when he kept the mallard drakes away from their ducks. Despite his instincts, mallards and mandarins can't interbreed (but he probably had fun trying): basic mismatch in chromosome numbers.

I've found one of my photos of Gerry in Figgate Park. Apparently it was taken on the afternoon of the 25th of February, 2016, which is about when I thought he'd been around.

IMG_8624.thumb.JPG.6b2644d10f3486a1c8d428c566504356.JPG

I've since replaced both the camera and the lens I used for that shot. All I need now is a belligerent mandarin drake to point them at.

13 hours ago, sugna said:

I’ve found one of my photos of Gerry in Figgate Park. Apparently it was taken on the afternoon of the 25th of February, 2016, which is about when I thought he'd been around

January 22 ;)

He must have been there a while.

7760D4DF-1B17-4B09-BF9B-40F7EF6203C1.thumb.jpeg.6bd2d0becd2f54b6cce09fa91a28794a.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

There's a resident crew of male & female mandarin ducks at Balloch Park, Loch Lomond. Meant to get back this summer to get more photos but never got round to it.

Stunning little birds and very photogenic. Both male & female below.

_SDJ8993-2-Edit.jpg

_SDJ9063-2-Edit.jpg

_SDJ9097-2-Edit.jpg

_SDJ9219-2.jpg

Edited by Stevo Fife
typo

18 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

There's a resident crew of male & female mandarin ducks at Balloch Park, Loch Lomond. Meant to get back this summer to get more photos but never got round to it.

Stunning little birds and very photogenic. Both male & female bellow.

That should make them easy to locate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My better half done me an absolute solid and purchased me a DJI Mavic Pro for Christmas. I'm mostly interested in getting into videography stuff when I'm out on location so I'm buzzing to give it a bash. Been trawling through Youtube the last couple of days to try and familiarise myself with everything. I'm also looking forward to getting a different perspective with still images, although I don't reckon I'll be able to print very large given the sensor size in it.

Any drone owners got any tips for a complete beginner? I'm away for a couple of days as of tomorrow but I still don't feel clued up enough to take it with me and take it for a spin.

Anyone have any opinions on the canon 77D or 80D? Looking to replace my 550D and can't decide between the two. I assume they're probably better for sport and wildlife than the 6D but would welcome input from someone that knows more than me (pretty much anyone).

52 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Anyone have any opinions on the canon 77D or 80D? Looking to replace my 550D and can't decide between the two. I assume they're probably better for sport and wildlife than the 6D but would welcome input from someone that knows more than me (pretty much anyone).

It's been a while since I've been into Canon stuff, or paid great attention to the range. But if you're looking for a fast FPS and aren't bothered about full frame, maybe look at a reconditioned 7d Mkii. I had the 6d which was excellent for landscape stuff but only shot 4.5fps or something. The 7dii was into double figures, has a good processor and the obvious advantage for sports/wildlife of giving you a x1.6 crop factor. You'll get better image quality from the 7dii IMO

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Some not bad prices for 7D mk 2 prices on ebay at the moment.  Again you are taking a chance but bargains to be had.