The Photography Thread

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you know the maximum before it becomes a streaky mess from the stars moving about?

Depends on your camera/lens combo. What are you using?

ETA: The "Rule of 500" is a useful guide.

Basically 500/focal length of lens = Max exposure time before stars start to trail. In my case it's 500/20mm = 25 secs. If your camera isn't full frame you'd need to adjust the focal length. So for example, a crop sensor camera like a Canon 80D with a 20mm lens would be: 500 / 32 (20x1.6) = 15.6 secs. The x1.6 is the crop factor you need to multiply a focal length by for a Canon. Once you know the max exposure time, the only variable left really is the ISO. So if you're lucky enough to have a camera that can handle high ISO, you can easily push that up to 3200 and beyond to pull through the starlight. 

Edited by jupe1407

Just now, jupe1407 said:

Depends on your camera/lens combo. What are you using?

Just snapping with my phone at the moment which should be obvious from my pic above. :lol: Used to do a bit years ago with SLR film cameras, and more recently for money with a digital camera which I never really got my head around so I just took multiple shots at different settings. I was just curious if there was a fixed time before star movement would blur a shot from Earth at zero magnification.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Just snapping with my phone at the moment which should be obvious from my pic above. :lol: Used to do a bit years ago with SLR film cameras, and more recently for money with a digital camera which I never really got my head around so I just took multiple shots at different settings. I was just curious if there was a fixed time before star movement would blur a shot from Earth at zero magnification.

See previous post :lol:

You can usually push the times by 5 seconds or so, it's not going to be noticed unless you blow it up to an enormous print size or zoom right in.

I haven't had the camera out basically since June [emoji38] Combination of work being mental, fiancee being long term ill and me point-blank refusing to get up at 3am for sunrise. However Autumn is here, which means genuine dark skies and better light. These two are from a stunningly clear night in Glen Clova last weekend. Off up to Torridon/Assynt for a fortnight next weekend to try out a few shots I've planned and hopefully some clear nights/auroras. 
43054600060_725ea714ce_c.jpg&key=c93002d7b5a9e9e73ea27f3c6de2d0a55ad1b14697d855b6fcb74fbbf29ccb79
43955373945_f15203fc0c_c.jpg&key=1f04b68ba4499e82872cf836172da5f29568a60fb6ce4b0cd9bd9bb64c0245c6
I was staying in Glen Clova last week and witnessed that very scene, amazingly clear skies

23 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:
1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:
I haven't had the camera out basically since June emoji38.png Combination of work being mental, fiancee being long term ill and me point-blank refusing to get up at 3am for sunrise. However Autumn is here, which means genuine dark skies and better light. These two are from a stunningly clear night in Glen Clova last weekend. Off up to Torridon/Assynt for a fortnight next weekend to try out a few shots I've planned and hopefully some clear nights/auroras. 
43054600060_725ea714ce_c.jpg&key=c93002d7b5a9e9e73ea27f3c6de2d0a55ad1b14697d855b6fcb74fbbf29ccb79
43955373945_f15203fc0c_c.jpg&key=1f04b68ba4499e82872cf836172da5f29568a60fb6ce4b0cd9bd9bb64c0245c6

I was staying in Glen Clova last week and witnessed that very scene, amazingly clear skies

That was on Friday 14th

What kind of laptop are people using to edit their photographs? My laptops died and now I need a new one. Whats good for using programmes like Lightroom and Photoshop? I fancy getting a MacBook but I’ve been told they are limited as to what software they can use. Any suggestions?

On 9/23/2018 at 17:23, jupe1407 said:

I haven't had the camera out basically since June :lol: Combination of work being mental, fiancee being long term ill and me point-blank refusing to get up at 3am for sunrise. However Autumn is here, which means genuine dark skies and better light. These two are from a stunningly clear night in Glen Clova last weekend. Off up to Torridon/Assynt for a fortnight next weekend to try out a few shots I've planned and hopefully some clear nights/auroras. 

43054600060_725ea714ce_c.jpg

43955373945_f15203fc0c_c.jpg

They're lovely, lovely photographs.  I'm massively jealous of folk that can take pictures like that.

I also want to go somewhere dark enough to see the night sky like that

Looking at some of the pictures and conversations in this thread I feel as if I'm probably in the wrong place to ask, but I'll give it a go. My shitey point and click thing that cost me £60 seven and a half years ago has served me well, but I want to get something decent. It's mainly (well, completely) going to be used for taking pictures at gigs and indoors things so being able to get a decent image in low(er) light is preferable. Any advice on makes/stats/features I should look for would be very helpful. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Looking at some of the pictures and conversations in this thread I feel as if I'm probably in the wrong place to ask, but I'll give it a go. My shitey point and click thing that cost me £60 seven and a half years ago has served me well, but I want to get something decent. It's mainly (well, completely) going to be used for taking pictures at gigs and indoors things so being able to get a decent image in low(er) light is preferable. Any advice on makes/stats/features I should look for would be very helpful. 

Peeping tom imo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2018 at 15:25, jamamafegan said:

What kind of laptop are people using to edit their photographs? My laptops died and now I need a new one. Whats good for using programmes like Lightroom and Photoshop? I fancy getting a MacBook but I’ve been told they are limited as to what software they can use. Any suggestions?

Macs are widely used by professionals. There might be a few obscure Windows-only programmes out there, but if people are hinting that Macs can’t handle the industry standard Adobe software, they’re telling you porkies. 

Edit - btw if you use Canon, their own DPP software comes free with the camera, runs on Windows/Mac platforms, and is excellent. I believe Nikon’s is decent although you have to pay for it.

Edited by The Mantis

• 1 month later...

Managed to catch a glimpse of the elusive Mandarin duck, which has taken up residence and caused quite the media stir, in New York’s Central Park. The bird, rare in North America appeared about a month ago, believed to have escaped from a private collection.

DSC00167.jpg

51 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Managed to catch a glimpse of the elusive Mandarin duck, which has taken up residence and caused quite the media stir, in New York’s Central Park. The bird, rare in North America appeared about a month ago, believed to have escaped from a private collection.

We had a drake in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, nicknamed Gerry (gerry-manderin'). Quite an assertive fellow, particularly in the mating season when he kept the mallard drakes away from their ducks. Despite his instincts, mallards and mandarins can't interbreed (but he probably had fun trying): basic mismatch in chromosome numbers.