The Photography Thread

I had a scroll through my phone and realised I take a lot of pictures of dogs but none are very good, so here's the dogs
cn.thumb.jpg.eeffa77911fdf9211fc80293f1196d78.jpg

Photo taken from the Islands I assume?
A great place to wander about, especially when the weather is good.

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I suspect the dog is thinking
"Oh boy, I bet there is a tasty treat at the top of that tower!"

Also, are you one of the people who claims to live in two places?
"Over the year, I split my time between Toronto and Paris.  Hence my name on P&B"

Nope, just a Pars fan, living in Toronto

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Photo taken from the Islands I assume?
A great place to wander about, especially when the weather is good.

It is indeed from the Islands, this was in August not long after they had opened up the islands again to the public after flooding. The dogs loved it, then got home and passed out for the rest of the day

15 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

One of my favourite shots of 2017. Golden Eagle chick taken on the nest in south Uist last July. Need a licence to photograph Golden Eagles but this was a fair bit away so no disruption.

Nice capture, what piece of glass are you using?  I've currently found that my 70-200 is just not long enough for what I need (espically when I'm shooting sport such as football/rugby/shinty) so I'm curently weighing up getting a teleconverter (either a 1.4 or 1.8) or seeing how much I can get on the black market for a slightly used kidney and find a 70-400 second hand.  I love my Sony but when it come to lenses I'm limited in choice compared to the Canon/Nikon range.

I'll be starting up next month, Snowman Rally on the 10th and then I have the Wildcats Community leagues for the following 3 Saturdays.  Need to hunt out the gloves.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

2 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Nice capture, what piece of glass are you using?  I've currently found that my 70-200 is just not long enough for what I need (espically when I'm shooting sport such as football/rugby/shinty) so I'm curently weighing up getting a teleconverter (either a 1.4 or 1.8) or seeing how much I can get on the black market for a slightly used kidney and find a 70-400 second hand.  I love my Sony but when it come to lenses I'm limited in choice compared to the Canon/Nikon range.

I'll be starting up next month, Snowman Rally on the 10th and then I have the Wildcats Community leagues for the following 3 Saturdays.  Need to hunt out the gloves.

Cheers bud.

I have the Sigma 150-600 Sport. Good lens but very heavy. Wasn't sharp out the box so had to buy the docking station and do the manual adjustment myself which took the best part of a full day. I use a Blackrapid harness for general carrying about and a Manfrotto tripod for static stuff.

20507237_10154918147177149_3268995120954617207_o.jpg

20 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Cheers bud.

I have the Sigma 150-600 Sport. Good lens but very heavy. Wasn't sharp out the box so had to buy the docking station and do the manual adjustment myself which took the best part of a full day. I use a Blackrapid harness for general carrying about and a Manfrotto tripod for static stuff.

Nice piece of kit, I have the Sigma 70-200 and found there was also a slight issue with front focusing but only slight (not noticeable unless you really look for it) so I just roll with it.  Might just have a look out for the 150-600 however as the 120-300 F2.8  is out of the price range at the moment.

Was the manual adjustment  just time consuming or something a bit more difficult? 

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Great thread, first time I’ve dipped in. Stevo & Jupe are fantastic photographers, also great pictures from most on the thread, I’m very impressed indeed.
Do you guys ever “develop” & display the great pictures you take, or is all about progressing & getting better?
Personally, I’d have loads from here on my walls.

On 1/31/2018 at 12:36, Mackie The Staggie said:

Nice piece of kit, I have the Sigma 70-200 and found there was also a slight issue with front focusing but only slight (not noticeable unless you really look for it) so I just roll with it.  Might just have a look out for the 150-600 however as the 120-300 F2.8  is out of the price range at the moment.

Was the manual adjustment  just time consuming or something a bit more difficult? 

Manual adjustment fairly straightforward but time consuming. You have to take the test shots at the various ranges, disconnect the lens, fit to the dock, check on the pc screen, adjust as necessary (if front or back focusing) then test again and repeat throughout the different distances from 150-600.

Took me about 5 hours but worth it.