The Photography Thread

37 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I've been into landscape/nightscape stuff for about 3-4 years. Favourite places are Skye and Torridon, the scenery is incredible and it's hard to go wrong there in decent light. I shoot a lot when i'm hillwalking as well, which in the right conditions can get some pretty cool results. 

32365750222_5a0504a018_c.jpg

An Ruadh Stac, Torridon

30421007111_0184a13e8a_c.jpg

Old Sligachan Bridge & Sgurr nan Gillean, Skye

30458391705_3000c5145d_c.jpg

The Quiraing, Skye

33172830325_8b48c19eef_c.jpg

Airlie Monument & Northern Lights, near Kirriemuir

Cracking photos Jupe. Got a real warmth about them. Recognise most of these shots as go to Skye quite often.

You shoot Canon or Nikon?

Cracking photos Jupe. Got a real warmth about them. Recognise most of these shots as go to Skye quite often.
You shoot Canon or Nikon?

Thanks Stevo. I started with Nikon, then switched to Canon, and progressed up to a 6d with 16-35l lens. I switched across to a Sony a7ii in December. The top and bottom images are Sony, the middle two are with the Canon combo.

Switched for a more lightweight set up as I plan on heading into the Fisherfields, maybe also deep into the Mullardochs as well and weight of kit is an issue.

Skye is brilliant but spending a week in Assynt instead of the usual week in Skye this year.

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

Thanks Stevo. I started with Nikon, then switched to Canon, and progressed up to a 6d with 16-35l lens. I switched across to a Sony a7ii in December. The top and bottom images are Sony, the middle two are with the Canon combo.

Switched for a more lightweight set up as I plan on heading into the Fisherfields, maybe also deep into the Mullardochs as well and weight of kit is an issue.

Skye is brilliant but spending a week in Assynt instead of the usual week in Skye this year.

Funny as i started the other way round Jupe. First camera was a light Panasonic G3 with a 300mm lens and then moved up to a Nikon D500 with a Sigma sport lens that weighs a ton.. Don't do as many hills these days and find a good rucksack copes with the weight.

Keep the photos coming. Some cracking stuff.

Funny as i started the other way round Jupe. First camera was a light Panasonic G3 with a 300mm lens and then moved up to a Nikon D500 with a Sigma sport lens that weighs a ton.. Don't do as many hills these days and find a good rucksack copes with the weight.

Keep the photos coming. Some cracking stuff.

Cheers mate. Your wildlife stuff is glorious. I've managed a couple of close ups of a few Ptarmigan but that's about it [emoji38]

@jupe1407 - Stuning pics there, love the last one.  I really need to give it landscape a try.  Went for a random drive and ended in Kyle of Lochalsh and even with it being overcast there were some stunning views on the way.  Of course, I didn't have the camera with me.

@Stevo Fife - Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW for the snow photos? Some of them are a bit blue which indicates the White Balance was off, it's something I've noticed that happens in JPEG where as in RAW it can be resolved in post production.

Anyway, Saturday's effort saw me covering the Highland Wildcats Community League games....of course it rained constantly throughout the afternoon, just praise the lord for waterproofs and water resistant equipment.

33122554101_548c085cf9_z.jpg

33250869545_8c292c0ccf_z.jpg

33094426482_051c7172f6_z.jpg

32435929723_f5df3ca890_z.jpg

32436065863_24480c2078_z.jpg

[mention=15829]jupe1407[/mention] - Stuning pics there, love the last one.  I really need to give it landscape a try.  Went for a random drive and ended in Kyle of Lochalsh and even with it being overcast there were some stunning views on the way.  Of course, I didn't have the camera with me.
[mention=13400]Stevo Fife[/mention] - Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW for the snow photos? Some of them are a bit blue which indicates the White Balance was off, it's something I've noticed that happens in JPEG where as in RAW it can be resolved in post production.
Anyway, Saturday's effort saw me covering the Highland Wildcats Community League games....of course it rained constantly throughout the afternoon, just praise the lord for waterproofs and water resistant equipment.
33122554101_548c085cf9_z.jpg
33250869545_8c292c0ccf_z.jpg
33094426482_051c7172f6_z.jpg
32435929723_f5df3ca890_z.jpg
32436065863_24480c2078_z.jpg

Those are excellent mate.

The drive to Kyle is brilliant, especially when you get about halfway through Glenshiel with the sisters ridge on the right and the saddle on the left.

In fact if you had by Loch Duich and turn up the Lochcarron Road there's a wee car Park on the right with a great view of the sisters about half a mile up.

IMG_20160825_181112.jpg

11 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Those are excellent mate.

The drive to Kyle is brilliant, especially when you get about halfway through Glenshiel with the sisters ridge on the right and the saddle on the left.

In fact if you had by Loch Duich and turn up the Lochcarron Road there's a wee car Park on the right with a great view of the sisters about half a mile up.

Cheers - despite the fact it rained all day I enjoyed getting back out with the camera.

The drive is indeed brilliant, and to my internal shame it was my first time over that side of the country, will have to make sure I don't leave it too long to get back there with the camera this time.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

@Stevo Fife Those pictures of the breaching humpy <3 

This is the best I got last summer just off Lewis with a 200mm legacy Tokina manual-focus lens (I didn't have the auto-300mm by then), it was really close to the RIB.  My sister got better photos of the tail-slapping with her iPhone :lol:

Spoiler

13558705_10154187860961221_9031795070936

Edited by bunglebonce

5 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

He did! :lol:  Know Alan well and I don't grudge him it. Top bloke (actually I'm ragin)

We made a joint effort in the Fife Free Press though. Mine are 29 seconds in. Hope the link works!

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/in-pictures-humpback-whale-does-a-backflip-off-fife-coast-1-4385099

Edited by Stevo Fife
add link

Was out playing with my camera this morning and was trying to get pictures of birds landing at the feeders down at the RSPB but man are those things fast. Got a few decent photos, although not nearly as good as some of the others on this thread!

_DSC5965_zpso1vbt8yq.jpg

_DSC6002_zpscrvp0gv8.jpg

_DSC5984_zpshys7wmgq.jpg

_DSC5933_zpslu5msxlg.jpg

_DSC5942_zpszzja2mo3.jpg

1 hour ago, spud131 said:

Was out playing with my camera this morning and was trying to get pictures of birds landing at the feeders down at the RSPB but man are those things fast. Got a few decent photos, although not nearly as good as some of the others on this thread!

_DSC5965_zpso1vbt8yq.jpg

_DSC6002_zpscrvp0gv8.jpg

_DSC5984_zpshys7wmgq.jpg

_DSC5933_zpslu5msxlg.jpg

_DSC5942_zpszzja2mo3.jpg

All about the learning Spud. Very good effort. You got a long tail tit and a great tit. Gotta love the tits!;)

First thing you'll need to look at is shutter speed. For birds in flight/moving you'll need a minimum of 1600 shutter speed. Trade off will be plenty of light required so a wide aperture (around 6)  and ISO around 800.. Give it a try and see how you get on. More you play with these settings the more you'll understand how they work for/against each other. Every camera is different but that should give you an idea.

I've been out whale spotting all day and drew a blank. Nothing doing at all.

There's a cracking documentary series on Netflix just now called Stories By Light. Ita six half hour episodes and each follows a differant photographer as they take photos of a specific subject/area. The first episode was all about underwater an d the second is about the Himalayas and the festivals there. The series looks fantastic if your watching it in 4k and some of the photos they take are amazing!

1 hour ago, spud131 said:

There's a cracking documentary series on Netflix just now called Stories By Light. Ita six half hour episodes and each follows a differant photographer as they take photos of a specific subject/area. The first episode was all about underwater an d the second is about the Himalayas and the festivals there. The series looks fantastic if your watching it in 4k and some of the photos they take are amazing!

Good shout Spud. Will go look it up.