23 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

As I said, no excuses, I know it's not right but plenty do it. They talk about it, maybe just joking of course. 

If anything comes out of this, it's to be very,very careful what you put on social media. That applies to us all.

Like not being a f'cking idiot? 

Guys like Fraser Wishart must feel like they are banging their heads off a brick wall when trying to deal with some of these numpties.

People have certain addictions and gambling amongst footballers has been a notorious problem so it's unfair to judge them on that, adding in the shocking stuff he has had to deal with off the pitch so he has my sympathy with that too. 

On the other hand he knew what he was doing was totally wrong, even before the unfortunate circumstances in his personal life. He should get hammered for this but I hope he gets the help he needs to beat his addiction.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Any player caught betting against their own team should receive a suitable punishment. Saying "but others do it too" is not an exuse or a justification. I've seen plenty of players speak about betting but I've never seen any openly admit to placing bets against their own team.

The same way "I gave 100% in those games", "I even scored against Rangers" and "I love Cowdenbeath" is completely irrelevant in all of this. The more these things get mentioned the more it seems like the guy is desperstely trying to dig himself out of a hole.

Of course it isn't right. That's now the third time I've posted that. Maybe footballers should all be banned from betting on any games.

Bookies wouldn't like that though.

Of course it isn't right. That's now the third time I've posted that. Maybe footballers should all be banned from betting on any games.
Bookies wouldn't like that though.

They are banned from betting on any games.

The point you were trying to make is that other footballers are well known to bet against their own team. The point I'm making is that they aren't.

They are banned from betting on any games.

The point you were trying to make is that other footballers are well known to bet against their own team. The point I'm making is that they aren't.

Barry Ferguson made the point that it's driven into the players at the start of every season by the PFA.

A lot of folk saying that this should serve as an example for others not to do the same thing.  They will do the same  though because that is the football mentality.  I have witnessed when some footballers  turn senior , no matter the club , they somehow think they have made it. Their whole attitude changes. The weaker willed ones put on an act that they don't have a care in the world. They have some extra cash so  they get all the fancy clothes , go out on the raz at the weekend after games on the premise that they are earning big bucks. They want to be noticed.   It's not the case for all players obviously, but there does seem to be an addictive pattern that a lot seem to follow. The gambling is one.  It is not a new thing . It has been going on for as long as I can remember,  but it is accepted as the norm in the footballing circle. Clubs themselves seem to turn a blind eye. Maybe it is now time for them to take a tougher stance and take a bit more interest in what the players are getting up to. If the fans can find stuff on social media then I am sure the clubs can do more. 

Going by what has been reported it looks like Dean's problems  started long before his personal life was thrown into turmoil. Possibly by trying to be one of the boys , who knows .  The sad fact is that he isn't the first and certainly won't be the last.  Are clubs too soft ?  I would say so.    

Brett has been a good and loyal servant to Cowdenbeath but after this he has to be sacked. How can anyone defend him for betting against his own team? Incredible.

The club's reputation is already in tatters after the other controversies this season involving Robertson and Johnston.

Wanye Shaw the Sutton United goalkeeper has been forced to resign having eaten a pie on TV knowing a bookie had offered odds on it.

Brett has directly bet on his team to lose whilst playing 5 times. By comparison he should be hung, drawn and quartered at the Tower of London.

4 hours ago, the27thwanderer said:

Ave worked with a few footballers that Ave said to us at work here were going somewhere wi 5 players injured starting young yins get money on the opposition n u look at coupon that team is 3/1 so a don't think for 1 minute he's only 1

Nout wrong with this, I regularly get tips from a Pars player about U20s games. 

33 minutes ago, tikataka said:

Brett has been a good and loyal servant to Cowdenbeath but after this he has to be sacked. How can anyone defend him for betting against his own team? Incredible.

The club's reputation is already in tatters after the other controversies this season involving Robertson and Johnston.

A bit of a contradiction there.  Betting against your team isn't good and loyal. 

18 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

I cant believe there is actual Cowden fans supporting him. He bet again the club he apparently "loves" numerous times, the fact they have not released him is worrying.

He's got a meeting tonight apparently with the club.  Give the board a chance FFS.

1 hour ago, JakeSAFC said:

I cant believe there is actual Cowden fans supporting him. He bet again the club he apparently "loves" numerous times, the fact they have not released him is worrying.

56 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

He's got a meeting tonight apparently with the club.  Give the board a chance FFS.

44 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Fair enough, surely he has to be released?

I would imagine that it's taken as long as it has because they have to ensure that the correct procedures are followed so that there is no risk of him claiming for unfair/wrongful/constructive dismissal. It is very unlikely that this would happen as, should they choose to chuck him, they could say it was justified under conduct, "some other substantial reason" or if it's within the needs of the business for example. They've got to make sure they adhere to the ACAS code of practice too.

Based on the evidence though, it doesn't look too good for him. Judging by his recent proclamations of love for Cowden though, I assume that he's expecting to be punted.

Incidentally, I remember Michael Moffat being banned for 6 games, 2 suspended, for placing 7 bets, 6 involving his club. Did he bet for or against Ayr Utd? Just as a matter of interest, more than anything.

3 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Nout wrong with this, I regularly get tips from a Pars player about U20s games. 

That's the problem bookies have with lower league matches. Very little coverage is given to the games, even in the internet age. Bookies set the odds based on league position and form, but wise fans can spot opportunities when they know that key players are suspended, injured or struggling. Of course, it doesn't always work. Quite often does though. Key players have a bigger influence on these games than they do in the top leagues.

I would imagine that it's taken as long as it has because they have to ensure that the correct procedures are followed so that there is no risk of him claiming for unfair/wrongful/constructive dismissal. It is very unlikely that this would happen as, should they choose to chuck him, they could say it was justified under conduct, "some other substantial reason" or if it's within the needs of the business for example. They've got to make sure they adhere to the ACAS code of practice too.
Based on the evidence though, it doesn't look too good for him. Judging by his recent proclamations of love for Cowden though, I assume that he's expecting to be punted.
Incidentally, I remember Michael Moffat being banned for 6 games, 2 suspended, for placing 7 bets, 6 involving his club. Did he bet for or against Ayr Utd? Just as a matter of interest, more than anything.

No

The only player to do it as far as I'm aware is Ian Black

Good company to be in...

3 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

Wanye Shaw the Sutton United goalkeeper has been forced to resign having eaten a pie on TV knowing a bookie had offered odds on it.

Brett has directly bet on his team to lose whilst playing 5 times. By comparison he should be hung, drawn and quartered at the Tower of London.

Why don't you make yourself a big steaming mug of 'shut the f**k up' and ponder on how to act smart instead of acting like a smart arse.

Dribbling sanctimonious mess that you are.

Archived