• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad times right now. The club is in dire straits with one blow after another. Disapointed in whats happening just now and as for the Club they cant really win in this situation. All i know is dean is an asset on the field. On the games he betted on he wasnt giving anything less than 100% percent. stupid stupid guy for betting against us.

As someone has said if any other player outwith dean had done this they probably would be sacked. Difficult one for the club and its directors. There will be punishment from SFA for sure. Wonder if fox has been betting on other teams... hope so...

Will see what comes out from all of this. If we stand by him and he plays for us again he will be under immense scrutiny from fans etc and will have to go above and beyond on the pitch. If we let him go he will get  a new club for sure.

6 minutes ago, NELLY said:

As someone has said if any other player outwith dean had done this they probably would be sacked. Difficult one for the club and its directors. There will be punishment from SFA for sure. Wonder if fox has been betting on other teams... hope so...

You start setting a bad precedent if you don't sack popular players or players that are an asset on the pitch. The approach has to be consistent here. It shouldn't matter if it was a Burton O'Brien or a Dean Brett.

I'm happy for us to keep him till the end of the season and support him during that time to ensure he is in the best possible place when he leaves us. There wouldn't be any hard feelings and he would be welcomed back as he has been a great servant to the club.

I'm sure if it was a Hibs player doing it Dean would feel the same.

Everyone keeps commenting on his Social Media etc. I think a lot of you seem to miss the fact that he probably doesn't really give 2 fucks about it. I mean yes the SPFL and Cowdenbeath will throw the book at him. But he has already gone through the worst life can throw at him. His perspective on life will be so different to the rest of us and any sanctions really in the big scheme of things won't really matter to much to him.

1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:

You start setting a bad precedent if you don't sack popular players or players that are an asset on the pitch. The approach has to be consistent here. It shouldn't matter if it was a Burton O'Brien or a Dean Brett.

I'm happy for us to keep him till the end of the season and support him during that time to ensure he is in the best possible place when he leaves us. There wouldn't be any hard feelings and he would be welcomed back as he has been a great servant to the club.

I agree muz. The only out I can see is that other players wouldnt or shouldnt bet in future thus this consistency argument shouldnt need to be used. If it did then you couldnt then sack that 2nd player..lol..

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Is there any point though?  If he gets a suspension and is out the rest of the season they why should the club pay his wages? 

No excuses, however, anyone who has played the game knows how much of this goes on at every club.
Players talk about it all the time. It's worse for full timers. Usually bookies and pool is the afternoon entertainment for many.

It doesn't though.

How many players do you genuinely believe bet against their own team? Whilst him placing bets in general is against the rules, he could be forgiven for that. Placing bets against your own team, some games in which he participated himself, is absolutely unforgivable and I'd be very surprised if there are other players doing similar.

The outpouring of support for him, and in particular people saying "we all know every player does it" is a bit off IMO. The main issue here is what he bet on, not the fact he was simply placing bets. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone stupid enough to do that.

The more I read about it and the more I see his presence on social media the harder I find it to have sympathy for the guy, unfortunately.

11 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Cowden fans over on Facebook genuinely appear to be on another planet. People are actually changing their profile pictures to a snap of him, whilst one page has actually started the hashtag #WeAreAllDeanBrett. Mental.

I thought you were joking. You weren't.

It's beyond parody now. As much as it could be argued that the social media stuff is a defence mechanism, it's also clear that he's loving the attention. A brighter person would've kept their head down. He's giving interviews to the press and, I'd assume, getting paid well for it - the less said about the BBC one in particular, the better. Betting against the team you play for is not acceptable. He's leaving himself open to a lot of accusations as well. There's something about his frequent proclamations of how much he loves Cowdenbeath that just sounds somewhat hollow to me.

5 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Is there any point though?  If he gets a suspension and is out the rest of the season they why should the club pay his wages? 

The SFA have set a precedent with giving pathetic suspensions for this sort of thing so I cant see him being out for the season. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they made an example of a less known player as they were too scared to do it to Black.

If he has an addiction here I would rather we supported him rather than releasing him rather than saying fend for yourself..

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It doesn't though.

How many players do you genuinely believe bet against their own team? Whilst him placing bets in general is against the rules, he could be forgiven for that. Placing bets against your own team, some games in which he participated himself, is absolutely unforgivable and I'd be very surprised if there are other players doing similar.

The outpouring of support for him, and in particular people saying "we all know every player does it" is a bit off IMO. The main issue here is what he bet on, not the fact he was simply placing bets. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone stupid enough to do that.

The more I read about it and the more I see his presence on social media the harder I find it to have sympathy for the guy, unfortunately.

As I said, no excuses, I know it's not right but plenty do it. They talk about it, maybe just joking of course. 

If anything comes out of this, it's to be very,very careful what you put on social media. That applies to us all.

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

As I said, no excuses, I know it's not right but plenty do it. They talk about it, maybe just joking of course. 

If anything comes out of this, it's to be very,very careful what you put on social media. That applies to us all.

I think you are way off here. We are talking specifically about betting against your own team.

No they don't.

When have you ever in your life heard of, or seen a player bragging about betting against his own club?

Betting in general yes, betting against their own club is absolutely unheard of.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It doesn't though.

Same here.  I see he says he only ever mentions betting against us against big sides (Rangers, Dundee utd and Falkirk) but I'm certain in the interview on the BBC he says he bet against us v Raith?  I'd love to see the full list of sides he bet against us for.

Just now, Muzza81 said:

The SFA have set a precedent with giving pathetic suspensions for this sort of thing so I cant see him being out for the season. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they made an example of a less known player as they were too scared to do it to Black.

If he has an addiction here I would rather we supported him rather than releasing him rather than saying fend for yourself..

He was already offered a 4 match ban for his Twitter comments before any of the gambling stuff came out.  Ian Black was given a 10 match ban (7 suspended) for just betting on 160 matches (3 against own team). Dean has bet on over 6000 matches!

Dean could easily be given a 10 match ban for this on top of the Twitter suspension. That's him for the season.

If Dean really does have an addiction then I would love the club to support him. He's not coming across as somebody who is looking for help though - he's coming across as somebody who has been caught and is trying to wriggle his way out of it.

2 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Same here.  I see he says he only ever mentions betting against us against big sides (Rangers, Dundee utd and Falkirk) but I'm certain in the interview on the BBC he says he bet against us v Raith?  I'd love to see the full list of sides he bet against us for.

He was already offered a 4 match ban for his Twitter comments before any of the gambling stuff came out.  Ian Black was given a 10 match ban (7 suspended) for just betting on 160 matches (3 against own team). Dean has bet on over 6000 matches!

Dean could easily be given a 10 match ban for this on top of the Twitter suspension. That's him for the season.

If Dean really does have an addiction then I would love the club to support him. He's not coming across as somebody who is looking for help though - he's coming across as somebody who has been caught and is trying to wriggle his way out of it.

Yeah, hard to disagree with you here tbh.

Ave worked with a few footballers that Ave said to us at work here were going somewhere wi 5 players injured starting young yins get money on the opposition n u look at coupon that team is 3/1 so a don't think for 1 minute he's only 1

Have they actually told you they were betting on it themselves? It's a totally different matter.

Ave worked with a few footballers that Ave said to us at work here were going somewhere wi 5 players injured starting young yins get money on the opposition n u look at coupon that team is 3/1 so a don't think for 1 minute he's only 1

It doesn't matter a jot that he's not the only one.

Correct.

Any player caught betting against their own team should receive a suitable punishment. Saying "but others do it too" is not an exuse or a justification. I've seen plenty of players speak about betting but I've never seen any openly admit to placing bets against their own team.

The same way "I gave 100% in those games", "I even scored against Rangers" and "I love Cowdenbeath" is completely irrelevant in all of this. The more these things get mentioned the more it seems like the guy is desperstely trying to dig himself out of a hole.

Archived