Just now, Allan Jacobsen said:

Article on the BBC about 53 players being caught gambling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38794176

Some of the punishments on there are really severe. Interesting to note that a former FIFA and Interpol person is effectively saying that you have to be pretty thick to be caught. Blows the idea of Brett being unlucky out the water a bit.

That basically proves the fact that football players are thick as mince. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

4 suspended as Vince's post above.

I should have read Vince's post before butting in. I'm sorry.

Having followed Dean Brett's case over the last few days, I'm pretty uneasy about the whole thing. It's quite difficult to put his personal tragedy to one side and focus purely on his betting offences because the two are apparently intertwined but even so, it is unforgivable for a player to bet against his team in matches in which he was participating. It questions his integrity and his ethics - I would not want someone like that playing at my football club, regardless of how popular they are. I honestly cannot understand some of the support towards him in this instance.

The way the player has conducted himself over the last few days is also pretty dubious. Brett doesn't seem like a very bright guy and/or he has been badly advised by those around him - I can't imagine anyone at Cowdenbeath was thrilled about his interviews with The Sun and the BBC - because keeping his head down, removing himself from social media and waiting for things to play would have been the most appropriate course of action. Instead, he's joining in with the jokes and appearing to have a laugh at the situation (although I can appreciate there might some degree of gallows humour here). Brett seems arrogant too, that he's been able to post what he likes on social media without reprisal, and his pleas for clemency seem to be because that's what you're supposed to do, rather than appealing for genuine contrition.

I hope Cowdenbeath and the PFA work towards getting Brett the help and support he needs but there is no way he can play for the club again, not a chance.

Edited to add - referring to an official as a "faggot" on Twitter is stupid and charmless and he deserves his four-match ban.

Why do Cowden not have the balls to get rid of him ?  Is there a can of worms they hope won't be opened ? 

It's called protocol.

For what it's worth, I don't think we will sack him but I'm fairly sure he's played his last game for us.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

He used the term "faggot"

The guy is clearly a massive fanny. There's no excuses.

Giving it the "aye but I didnae ken whit it meant eh" shite on social media. There's several people backing him up unsurprisingly including one with genuinely the most disturbing cover photo I have ever seen (not his coupon - no pun intended).

Felt sorry for him to begin with, very little sympathy now. He genuinely believes that he's a victim. Plus his BBC interview is full of contradictions, televised and written.

3 minutes ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

What the big delay in all of this , cowden obviously need to get shot of him. He bet against his own team winning ffs, which he was playing in!!

On 2/21/2017 at 18:53, Allan Jacobsen said:

I would imagine that it's taken as long as it has because they have to ensure that the correct procedures are followed so that there is no risk of him claiming for unfair/wrongful/constructive dismissal. It is very unlikely that this would happen as, should they choose to chuck him, they could say it was justified under conduct, "some other substantial reason" or if it's within the needs of the business for example. They've got to make sure they adhere to the ACAS code of practice too.

Although, as CL said, it's looking less likely to be an immediate release but let his contract run down. Which leads to another question: when does the loan/emergency loan window shut?

I should have read Vince's post before butting in. I'm sorry.
Having followed Dean Brett's case over the last few days, I'm pretty uneasy about the whole thing. It's quite difficult to put his personal tragedy to one side and focus purely on his betting offences because the two are apparently intertwined but even so, it is unforgivable for a player to bet against his team in matches in which he was participating. It questions his integrity and his ethics - I would not want someone like that playing at my football club, regardless of how popular they are. I honestly cannot understand some of the support towards him in this instance.
The way the player has conducted himself over the last few days is also pretty dubious. Brett doesn't seem like a very bright guy and/or he has been badly advised by those around him - I can't imagine anyone at Cowdenbeath was thrilled about his interviews with The Sun and the BBC - because keeping his head down, removing himself from social media and waiting for things to play would have been the most appropriate course of action. Instead, he's joining in with the jokes and appearing to have a laugh at the situation (although I can appreciate there might some degree of gallows humour here). Brett seems arrogant too, that he's been able to post what he likes on social media without reprisal, and his pleas for clemency seem to be because that's what you're supposed to do, rather than appealing for genuine contrition.
I hope Cowdenbeath and the PFA work towards getting Brett the help and support he needs but there is no way he can play for the club again, not a chance.
Edited to add - referring to an official as a "faggot" on Twitter is stupid and charmless and he deserves his four-match ban.

Summed up perfectly.

He's been rightly punished for the comments made regarding the official(s). Clearly the investigation regarding the betting is still ongoing so there is no rush for the club to act. The club have acted without fault in all of this and anyone trying to criticise them is purely point scoring. 

I've given it a few days to comment on this.

My first reaction last week when it was a rumour was that if it is true he should never play again.

As a non gambler I dont see how a few bets each week is an addiction. I have a few glasses of wine but I am not an alcoholic.

I gladly spent on Sportsman Brunches, attending U20 games and various other fundraising activities to support him in a time of need.

This is not that time in my opinion. In my office HR would agree he should be dismissed. And that support was pissed on when he bet against his team and fans.

I wont even offer an opinion on the impact this potentially already had on Cowden's on field plight given the overhaul on Saturday to accomodate his omission.

Still can't get my head round this
The calling the Lino a fag although not very PC in this day and age or the other bets doesn't really bother me one bit
But the betting against us is something I'm really finding hard 2 take in n deal with
DF n the rest of the board must feel so let down after all they've done
Dean is very much a fans favourite and always does appear to give 100%
But this isn't sitting well at all with me
Huge decision 4 the club
Also feel 4 Deans parents who love coming 2 cowden n mixing well with the fans

In my opinion a player should be able to bet on teams in other countries as long as he has never played in any of the divisions he wishes to place a bet in (avoiding the chance of him having possible inside knowledge).

Pro players should be asked to register with a bookie if they want to bet and it's up to the bookies discretion if they want to allow the player to make a bet.

It's already been mentioned on this thread but it's crazy that a part time player in Scotland can't bet on a game in Brazil if he chooses to.

It's basically because it's ridiculously easy for word to get round in football.

Arbroath have a massive training ground bust up after Doris breaks his leg on Thursday, cammy gill goes into training on Friday and tells everyone about it, Herron texts his mates at Blackpool, McMullan let's Celtic players know, duthie tells everyone at stenny etc and before kick off comes you maybe have 100 players putting a bet on Arbroath losing.

Brett probably doesn't know anything more than the rest of us about barca Madrid, but Hemmings may well have told him half the Oxford squad has food poisoning.

Doris breaks his leg people/fans would know or have known by the Friday anyway to be fair.

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Doris breaks his leg people/fans would know or have going out on the Friday anyway to be fair.

Yeah. It's nonsense banning players from betting. They should only be banned from betting on matches in which their team is playing. Lots of people can get inside knowledge and what's to stop a player simply getting a relative or friend to bet on their behalf? It's a stupid rule. Although the two rules which annoy me most in the game are the foul throw rule and offside rule.

I agree its nonsense and if he had not bet against his own team then I doubt a massive fuss about this wouldve been kicked up.

But he did, he actually bet against the team he plays for not once but 5 times. Cowden need to chuck him fan favourite or not.

40 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

I agree its nonsense and if he had not bet against his own team then I doubt a massive fuss about this wouldve been kicked up.

But he did, he actually bet against the team he plays for not once but 5 times. Cowden need to chuck him fan favourite or not.

Not sure what the club will do, but we could do without losing a good player. This may well hamper our attempt to move off the bottom spot, unless it somehow fires up the rest of the squad to play better.

8 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

In my opinion a player should be able to bet on teams in other countries as long as he has never played in any of the divisions he wishes to place a bet in (avoiding the chance of him having possible inside knowledge).

Pro players should be asked to register with a bookie if they want to bet and it's up to the bookies discretion if they want to allow the player to make a bet.

It's already been mentioned on this thread but it's crazy that a part time player in Scotland can't bet on a game in Brazil if he chooses to.

That sounds overly complicated and pretty messy. Who's going to enforce the bookies to take on that kind of responsibility as well?

It's hardly a massive issue not allowing players to bet. If they want a £10 accumulator on they can ask their pal to do it, job done. They will never ever be caught if they stick to that. 

10 hours ago, vince sinclair said:

Dean is very much a fans favourite and always does appear to give 100%

Agreed. However how do we know that he gave 100% in those matches?  All it takes is for him to lose a 50/50 or not track his man as quickly as he could.  I'm not saying he ever threw a match but there's no way we can trust that for sure. Expect we won't hear anything until tomorrow or Saturday anyway about how the club will act.

2 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Agreed. However how do we know that he gave 100% in those matches?  All it takes is for him to lose a 50/50 or not track his man as quickly as he could.  I'm not saying he ever threw a match but there's no way we can trust that for sure. Expect we won't hear anything until tomorrow anyway about how the club will act.

Never saw him drawing out of a tackle. Have missed a few games but not that many. It's a right mess.

Archived