• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Footballers are well aware they aren't allowed to bet and they still do it - it's been highly publicised for a couple of years at least now. If some of them are stupid enough to make it public knowledge then they deserve everything that's coming to them.

I would argue that Dean's "faggot" comment is probably enough for him to be sacked, never mind the fact he's bet on his team to lose on various occasions and is now laughing and joking about it online despite a full investigation taking place. I genuinely don't think there's a solution to the gambling thing in football, it comes down to players taking responsibility for their actions and as has been shown by this whole episode (and the many that have gone before it), footballers are fucking morons. If the SFA want to rid this from the game then they need to investigate everyone and give them heavy bans if they've broken the rules.  The current "we'll only act if it's brought to our attention and here's a 6 game ban if we do catch you" approach allows footballers a certain degree of leeway with a punishment which isn't exactly career ending or life changing. Precedent is set though, so they've fucked it for themselves.

It shouldn't be up to the SFA it should be up to the clubs. They are employees of the clubs and should be abiding by the club's standards.   A high percentage of footballers are vain creatures and just want to be noticed. Social media is the ideal way for them to guage how popular they are and as with this case in question to boast about their achievements.   How hard is it for a club official to check 20-30 twitter and facebook accounts ? I am sure a lot easier than it would be for the SFA. 

If the clubs are not seen to be doing everything in their power to stop this happening they should be punished . 

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It shouldn't be up to the SFA it should be up to the clubs. They are employees of the clubs and should be abiding by the club's standards.   A high percentage of footballers are vain creatures and just want to be noticed. Social media is the ideal way for them to guage how popular they are and as with this case in question to boast about their achievements.   How hard is it for a club official to check 20-30 twitter and facebook accounts ? I am sure a lot easier than it would be for the SFA. 

If the clubs are not seen to be doing everything in their power to stop this happening they should be punished . 

It's not a club rule though, it's a governing body rule (note it should be SPFL and not the SFA, perhaps even FIFA/UEFA?) so it's not really down to the clubs to enforce it. Clubs don't have a duty to punish their player if they're found to be gambling on football but it certainly looks better if they do. The SPFL have a duty to clamp down on the rules they've set.

How long has this rule been in force? Just a few year ago that I used to spot the players that were not in the matchday squad heading into the bookies before kick off pretty much every week.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

How long has this rule been in force? Just a few year ago that I used to spot the players that were not in the matchday squad heading into the bookies before kick off pretty much every week.

Just did a quick google search and found the SFA Handbook from 2011 which says there's no gambling allowed.  So at least 6 years.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's not a club rule though, it's a governing body rule (note it should be SPFL and not the SFA, perhaps even FIFA/UEFA?) so it's not really down to the clubs to enforce it. Clubs don't have a duty to punish their player if they're found to be gambling on football but it certainly looks better if they do. The SPFL have a duty to clamp down on the rules they've set.

If it's not a club rule , then why isn't it ?  That in itself deserves punishment.  That should be the remit of the SFA to ensure their member clubs are upholding their rules.    I said in an earlier post that clubs are far to lenient .  I would even go as far as saying that some are condoning it going by the amount of players who brag about it on social media  and also the time it is taking for Cowden to make a decision

12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

If it's not a club rule , then why isn't it ?  That in itself deserves punishment.  That should be the remit of the SFA to ensure their member clubs are upholding their rules.    I said in an earlier post that clubs are far to lenient .  I would even go as far as saying that some are condoning it going by the amount of players who brag about it on social media  and also the time it is taking for Cowden to make a decision

Surely given the importance of the matter its best for the club to take stock of all the information and having a thorough investigation instead of doing anything rash. There will be employment rules to go through and things like that have to be done right or they can comeback to bite you on the arse. I'm sure "normal" employers will go through the same procedures.

17 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Some clubs may well have it written into their policy, but I'd imagine in most instances clubs will just accept the punishment which the league impose on a player as them being punished. It's a bit different with Brett because he's actively bet on his team to lose when he was playing, that makes it a slightly different ball game from just betting on Man Utd to beat Burnley and I can see why the club would want to consider their own action. Makes sense for Cowdenbeath to take time over this if I'm honest, there very well could be further info which is not public knowledge and if they are going down the route of bagging him then they need to be sure procedures are followed. He's been suspended, what's the rush? 

It's a lot of shite anyway

If it's betting on teams in other leagues than the one a players playing in I don't see the problem? Even just making it so players playing in Scotland can't bet on Scottish games.

It's basically because it's ridiculously easy for word to get round in football.

Arbroath have a massive training ground bust up after Doris breaks his leg on Thursday, cammy gill goes into training on Friday and tells everyone about it, Herron texts his mates at Blackpool, McMullan let's Celtic players know, duthie tells everyone at stenny etc and before kick off comes you maybe have 100 players putting a bet on Arbroath losing.

Brett probably doesn't know anything more than the rest of us about barca Madrid, but Hemmings may well have told him half the Oxford squad has food poisoning.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Surely given the importance of the matter its best for the club to take stock of all the information and having a thorough investigation instead of doing anything rash. There will be employment rules to go through and things like that have to be done right or they can comeback to bite you on the arse. I'm sure "normal" employers will go through the same procedures.

Aye , fair do's . Just comparing the Sutton United approach to Cowden's though. They took the approach of the player letting the club down so he had to go even though he did hee haw compared to Dean.  Also Cowden have a QC as chairman. Surely he knows a bit about  employment law.............unless he goes through the usual long drawn out crap that most other lawyers seem to do. 

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Aye , fair do's . Just comparing the Sutton United approach to Cowden's though. They took the approach of the player letting the club down so he had to go. 

And it wasn't even a pie he was eating. Stewards enquiry.

DEAN BRETT

Following complaints from two organisations concerned with equality issues, the SFA investigated Dean Brett’s Twitter account re alleged offensive Tweets. This resulted in the matter being brought before an SFA Disciplinary Tribunal. We can now confirm the final Determination has now been received and accepted from that Tribunal. Following a hearing at Hampden Park, the Tribunal found that between 23 May 2016 and 5 November 2016 Dean made comments upon a social networking site, namely Twitter, that were of a discriminatory, and offensive nature, based upon sexual orientation as well as comments that were otherwise of an offensive nature.

Thus Dean Brett was in breach of Disciplinary Rule 73 of the SFA’s Disciplinary Rules. The outcome now is that an 8 match suspension will apply as follows – 4 matches immediate. Thereafter four matches suspended for 12 months and to only take effect in the event that:

1. Dean commits a further breach of Disciplinary Rule 73 before 16 January 2018; and/or

2. The Tweets agreed by the parties at the hearing of 16 January 2017 as having breached Disciplinary Rule 73 are not removed by Dean Brett from his Twitter account by 5pm on 17 January 2017; and/or

3. Dean fails to produce evidence, before 16 January 2018, to the Judicial Panel Secretary, that he attended training upon a) the use of social media and b) Equality issues.

3 minutes ago, vince sinclair said:

For the betting?

Its the suspension that you posted about above Vince the BBC will have just taken the story from the OS statement. I would imagine that the gambling one will still to be held by the SFA.

Article on the BBC about 53 players being caught gambling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38794176

Some of the punishments on there are really severe. Interesting to note that a former FIFA and Interpol person is effectively saying that you have to be pretty thick to be caught. Blows the idea of Brett being unlucky out the water a bit.

Archived