The Wheel vs The Rock: The 3rd Chapter

A tough game but one we should and need to win if we want to take advantage of the Dundee United/Morton match. There's absolutely no point in humping DU 3-0 one home game if we then slip up to Dumbarton the next . Got to be the same side unless Baird is fit. Hopefully McKee will maybe get a place on the bench if he still exists.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A tough game but one we should and need to win if we want to take advantage of the Dundee United/Morton match. There's absolutely no point in humping DU 3-0 one home game if we then slip up to Dumbarton the next . Got to be the same side unless Baird is fit. Hopefully McKee will maybe get a place on the bench if he still exists.

Agree with all of that although I'd maybe bring Aird in for Craigen as goal aside, he wasn't great on Saturday. I think Aird & Hippolyte could hurt Dumbarton on Sat.

2 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Agree with all of that although I'd maybe bring Aird in for Craigen as goal aside, he wasn't great on Saturday. I think Aird & Hippolyte could hurt Dumbarton on Sat.

Would perhaps be harsh to drop Craigen especially as his confidence seems to be on  a high just now.  Aird also looks like a player that can have an impact off the bench whilst Im not sure Craigen does. I'd start with craigen and if hes struggling get Aird on a bit quicker.

Would perhaps be harsh to drop Craigen especially as his confidence seems to be on  a high just now.  Aird also looks like a player that can have an impact off the bench whilst Im not sure Craigen does. I'd start with craigen and if hes struggling get Aird on a bit quicker.

True. He has scored 2 in 2.

He looked bright in his first couple of appearances but had a death in the family so had to go back to Canada for a week or so and his replacement RW Craigen has hit a bit of form. I'd definitely like to see a bit more of him though. 

Is it a fluke that craigen s up turn in form coincided with the arrival of Aird for competition?

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think I've ever seen Hippolyte hurt us. A poor man's Andy Stirling.

I'm always amazed hes playing at this level. Used to watch Stirling when he was at Stenny and he was absolutely abysmal. I'm sure they freed him and he signed for the shire.

Mckee was sitting in front of us in the morton main stand Saturday. He and baird had their civvies on while the other players had their falkirk gear on so presuming both are still injured.

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm always amazed hes playing at this level. Used to watch Stirling when he was at Stenny and he was absolutely abysmal. I'm sure they freed him and he signed for the shire.

Pretty sure the Stenny fans nickname for him was "Magic". Either way, he's been excellent for us for the last few months, this last month in particular, and looks comfortably good enough to play at this level. If his end product was better he wouldn't be playing for us.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Pretty sure the Stenny fans nickname for him was "Magic" @ FrancescFabregas can you confirm? Either way, he's been excellent for us for the last few months, this last month in particular, and looks comfortably good enough to play at this level. If his end product was better he wouldn't be playing for us.

I think that nickname was more tongue in cheek than anything else.  He spent most of his time on the bench and did very little when he came on. He always looked a bit over weight and slow to me and I wasn't surprised when he ended up at the shire. He's obviously improved a hell of a lot since then as I was expecting the shire to be a stop on the way down and not up I must admit.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think that nickname was more tongue in cheek than anything else.  He spent most of his time on the bench and did very little when he came on. He always looked a bit over weight and slow to me and I wasn't surprised when he ended up at the shire. He's obviously improved a hell of a lot since then as I was expecting the shire to be a stop on the way down and not up I must admit.

@Francesc Fabregas can you confirm this shit? I always thought Stirling was well regarded at Stenny, Shire and Stranraer, with only his time at the Pars being less than good.

Overweight and slow are certainly not two things you could level at Stirling, he's easily one of the quickest players in the league.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm sure I remember FF from on here having a wee soft spot for him. I'm also sure I remember him saying that John Coughlin (IIRC) deployed him as a false 9 once, which must've been quite something. He was (by all accounts) the best winger in League 1 last season, and the Stranraer fans' reports couldn't have been any more glowing.

He was bang average for us in the first part of the season, but B'Jesus has he found some form. He's absolutely glorious to watch in full flow, so quick and nifty that defenders have to Ross Docherty him because they don't know where his feet are. He tore Queen of the South a new one in our, ehm, 1-2 defeat and followed it up with an absolute beezer of a performance against Raith at Stark's.

I've no idea what his career aims are, but if he wants to go full-time I'd imagine he'll have plenty of offers in the summer.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

@Francesc Fabregas can you confirm this shit? I always thought Stirling was well regarded at Stenny, Shire and Stranraer, with only his time at the Pars being less than good.

Overweight and slow are certainly not two things you could level at Stirling, he's easily one of the quickest players in the league.

Yeah, he was nicknamed Magic during his short spell at Ochilview, although like "Shadwell Dog" says, it was a little ironic. We certainly didn't see the best of him - he only really began to hit his stride when he moved to Stranraer - but he was capable of the odd moment of brilliance, hitting gorgeous long-range goals and taking on players for fun. Unfortunately, these flashes came in low-stakes matches. I don't think John Coughlin really knew where best to play him and Davie Irons never seemed to trust him (there was one game at Brechin City, we lost 3-1 and conceded a goal from a direct free-kick - Stirling was in the wall and as the shot was struck, he tucked in behind the boy next time and the ball flew in through the vacant space).

Still, his talent wasn't in doubt and I'm pleased to see him doing well at Dumbarton, the best part-time club in the country.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You don't go from Stenny to the Shire if your decent . As I said I can only comment on what he was like back then. He's obviously improved a lot since then.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yeah, he was nicknamed Magic during his short spell at Ochilview, although like "Shadwell Dog" says, it was a little ironic. We certainly didn't see the best of him - he only really began to hit his stride when he moved to Stranraer - but he was capable of the odd moment of brilliance, hitting gorgeous long-range goals and taking on players for fun. Unfortunately, these flashes came in low-stakes matches. I don't think John Coughlin really knew where best to play him and Davie Irons never seemed to trust him (there was one game at Brechin City, we lost 3-1 and conceded a goal from a direct free-kick - Stirling was in the wall and as the shot was struck, he tucked in behind the boy next time and the ball flew in through the vacant space).

Still, his talent wasn't in doubt and I'm pleased to see him doing well at Dumbarton, the best part-time club in the country.

Fair enough. He has a lot of freedom in the system we play now with two set holding midfielders. He'll start out wide but drifts around the park when it suits him and he breezes past players, it's great to watch.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

You don't go from Stenny to the Shire if your decent . As I said I can only comment on what he was like back then. He's obviously improved a lot since then.

Didn't Shire have some investment in their team round about that time though? They certainly had a team pushing towards the top of the table rather than the bottom for a year or so.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Didn't Shire have some investment in their team round about that time though? They certainly had a team pushing towards the top of the table rather than the bottom for a year or so.

I'm sure Andy Stirling joined the Shire not long after after Spencer Fearn left the club.

He did score against Rangers at Ibrox during his time at the Shire, and fair play to him!

This is another big game for us and given our capitulation on Saturday, it's one that we've put more pressure on ourselves than we should have to get something from it.

Falkirk are on very good form so it'll be as tough a game as it usually is against them, but we have a not too bad record (from my memory only, stats may disprove that opinion) at TFS and we do seem to play better away from home.

I wouldn't change anything from the side that started against Ayr, but this week will be massive for Stevie and the players to put Saturday behind us and get right up for this game and getting a result from it.

4 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm sure Andy Stirling joined the Shire not long after after Spencer Fearn left the club.

He did score against Rangers at Ibrox during his time at the Shire, and fair play to him!

Always good to see a player turning his career around some what. He could've downed tools after leaving stenny and going to the shire but he's obviously put the effort in and been rewarded for it.

Archived