Greenock Jns to fold reported

Paisley Ton

The Morton forum has a topic indicating Greenock ns are in danger of folding.

Anyone know of this and when/why.

Used to attend all there games 1960-67 and Morton supporters should if required help out the other local team if they can.

Yes, round about this time last year we had the same stories about how they were likely to fold because of the rates to hire Ravenscraig and money they owed to the council. It seemed they had got through all that, but perhaps it was only a temporary reprieve.

Sad to see a club to fold at any level, but it seems like these have been becoming more frequent in the last few years in the juniors. I think it really is about time, that the juniors come to some agreement with the rest of Scottish football and do create a proper pyramid.

anyway, I seriously hope that Greenock are able to get out of their financial problems

Sad to see a club to fold at any level, but it seems like these have been becoming more frequent in the last few years in the juniors. I think it really is about time, that the juniors come to some agreement with the rest of Scottish football and do create a proper pyramid.

anyway, I seriously hope that Greenock are able to get out of their financial problems

Not sure a pyramid would do anything for that, I think the junior game is vastly under rated and needs some exposure I'd like to.see the sjfa do some marketing of the league and the fixtures and see a lot of the clubs become more active within their communities ie within the schools etc you just have to look at what St Rochs are doing just now it's brilliant and really engaging the community which should translate in to paying punters for the long term

The pyramid isn't necessarily the golden ticket. As Brycie said, Junior clubs and the SJFA need to do more to make themselves known in the public. The lack of social media presence from most clubs is pretty staggering and it's something that's free to run. I understand proper advertising costs money but the old fellas running Junior clubs seem a bit stuck in the dark ages and need to be more inventive with ways to gain publicity. The worlds moving on and the clubs don't seem to be willing to change with the times so risk being left behind.

16 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Got to admit I fail to see how a restructure will solve the problem of teams failing due to lack of local support. Were it to happen, they'll still be the same team, playing in the same location with the same people running them...just in a different league, which wouldn't solve the underlying problems.

There are a lot of junior sides that are kept going thanks to the efforts of two or three dedicated but ageing volunteers who, were they to become unable to carry on for any reason, would effectively finish the club. Where I think a lot make their biggest mistake is by carrying on regardless almost in a bubble -  for example, if they're not comfortable with modern methods of engaging with the public such as social media, asking for help from someone who is - and more importantly in not bringing in new blood sooner if it's available.Like many elderly punters do in their personal lives, they almost take a perverse pride in insisting that everything's fine and they're doing great...until one day it's not and they're not...

If new blood isn't available to come on board and the team faces a high degree of local apathy despite their best efforts - sad to say, but maybe that club's run its course. You only need to look at the case of Stonehouse Violet a few years ago...folded because of a lack of locals willing to join their committee, and when resurrected by people from outside the village using mainly Glasgow-based players, ignored by the community because they weren't local - go figure...

12 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

From a friend down that way i hear this is all smoke and mirrors. Council being blamed for Greenocks financial woes. Last year they were given a grant to cover large debts they owed for use of facilities. Grants are now up for being awarded again. Coincidence ? 

Archived