Fantasy Baseball 2017

placidcasual

The trouble is we only keep 10 players at the end of the season. So there's no real point in trading for folk if two thirds of everyone's roster is going to be available in the draft anyways. You're just going to sit and wait and see who you get in the draft. I think raising the keepers might stimulate more trades as less quality players will fall out of rosters and into the draft. But, it might not and could just lead to the good teams hording more talent with no real need or want to trade but that's the trouble with any fantasy league. We just have to decide which way we want to go.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally feel the free agent pool is deep enough to cover the lack of trades. Any time I've had injuries or players sent down, I've been able to pick up serviceable replacements.
Yeah that was kind of my point(badly put). Fantasy baseball never really generates a lot of trades due to the size of the player pool. There's always decent to good replacements floating about.

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

Personally feel the free agent pool is deep enough to cover the lack of trades. Any time I've had injuries or players sent down, I've been able to pick up serviceable replacements.

This is spot on and the only way I can see that we'd get more trading happening is if we had about 10 more teams. Then you'd not be able to have such depth of quality on your roster with the additional back up of quality free agent options. 

However, I don't think we have a waiting list to join.

Final day of the season and the title match is nicely poised. 

Enrico Palazzo has a healthy 45 lead, but Fidel’s have 2 more starters and all the starters are quality. Could get really tight. 

Good luck to you both!

ETA... 3rd vs 4th really close too,  beyond that I think it’s all decided.

4 hours ago, Dee4Life1893 said:

I'm the early 50's Yankees! Bring on the hate :thumsup2

Seriously, good season guys. Unlucky in the final Enrico Palazzo.

Am I only allowed to hate certain vintages of Yankee? Oh god,  I've been doing it wrong...

Well done to both finalists and, of course, to Fidels Astros for taking the title.

For next year, I think we leave it at 10 keepers. I’d suggest going with 5 starting pitchers and 1 closer.
Reduces the effect of folk fiddling things and taking advantage of starters who qualify as relievers which isn’t really in the spirit of the game IMO.

I’m sure there are other things we can do to improve things overall

23 hours ago, Dee4Life1893 said:

I'm the early 50's Yankees! Bring on the hate :thumsup2

Seriously, good season guys. Unlucky in the final Enrico Palazzo.

A well deserved win I think for the defending champ! My pitching was struggling to hold together all year so not a huge surprise to come up short. 

18 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Well done to both finalists and, of course, to Fidels Astros for taking the title.

For next year, I think we leave it at 10 keepers. I’d suggest going with 5 starting pitchers and 1 closer.
Reduces the effect of folk fiddling things and taking advantage of starters who qualify as relievers which isn’t really in the spirit of the game IMO.

I’m sure there are other things we can do to improve things overall

I'd like to suggest we all have a bit of a chat about whether we want to continue as a dynasy league or switch to a redraft. 

If we persevere as a dynasty league, I'd like to increase the number of keepers.  This would allow you to stash prospects as well as active players.  At the moment there's little incentive to trade players for various reasons.  Without more teams, we'll never get away from the situation of having perfectly adequate replacements from waivers (and there's no prospect of half a dozen more folk looking to join up).  I think this will always limit the number of trades however, having control over prospects could introduce a bit more of that activity with folk willing to sacrifice a current proven player for a few players who are on the verge.  20 keeper spots would allow you to do that.

Alternatively, we could switch to a redraft league.  That would also give us the option of retaining a limited number of keepers (say 5).  This would give a much higher turnover of players and would mean year to year things could look very different.

I'm also open to the option of doing one of each as both have their merits, but feel at the moment we're kind of falling somewhere between the two and not getting the benefits of either!

2 hours ago, k-ton said:

I'd like to suggest we all have a bit of a chat about whether we want to continue as a dynasy league or switch to a redraft. 

If we persevere as a dynasty league, I'd like to increase the number of keepers.  This would allow you to stash prospects as well as active players.  At the moment there's little incentive to trade players for various reasons.  Without more teams, we'll never get away from the situation of having perfectly adequate replacements from waivers (and there's no prospect of half a dozen more folk looking to join up).  I think this will always limit the number of trades however, having control over prospects could introduce a bit more of that activity with folk willing to sacrifice a current proven player for a few players who are on the verge.  20 keeper spots would allow you to do that.

Alternatively, we could switch to a redraft league.  That would also give us the option of retaining a limited number of keepers (say 5).  This would give a much higher turnover of players and would mean year to year things could look very different.

I'm also open to the option of doing one of each as both have their merits, but feel at the moment we're kind of falling somewhere between the two and not getting the benefits of either!

I agree with this. As I've said before I'm happy to go either way(insert Kenneth Williams picture). I think we should have a discussion about it and decide together which is best, because as k-ton has said currently we're somewhere in the middle and that makes planning for next season problematic.  

Of the 2 options I think the redraft approach is likely to be more popular with the majority. I get the impression some are more active MLB fans than others, so i'd worry that a Dynasty league would end up dominated by a few strong managers. Re-draft means everyone gets a chance to reset and fight for the title each year.

Happy to go with a majority either way though. 

Of the 2 options I think the redraft approach is likely to be more popular with the majority. I get the impression some are more active MLB fans than others, so i'd worry that a Dynasty league would end up dominated by a few strong managers. Re-draft means everyone gets a chance to reset and fight for the title each year.
Happy to go with a majority either way though. 

I quite like the idea of a second league, as well as increasing the number of keepers in the dynasty league. I think once you start a dynasty league, by definition you need to keep it that way. The second league could be a bit more experimental. Maybe even a straight points league, although again, would it be the same four or five players who dominate.

Meant to say - if we do end up with 2 leagues then I’d be happy to act as commissioner on the new one (assuming no one else is desperate to do it). 

Not done it before, but presuming it’s not crazy difficult! 

52 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Meant to say - if we do end up with 2 leagues then I’d be happy to act as commissioner on the new one (assuming no one else is desperate to do it). 

Not done it before, but presuming it’s not crazy difficult! 

I for one welcome K-ton as our new second league overlord. I mean commissioner!

• 5 months later...

Archived