Fantasy Baseball 2017

placidcasual

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/07/2018 at 11:42, Savage Henry said:

Am I right in thinking that this week is a shortened one?  I know that Yahoo combines this week into next week for scoring purposes, but I seem to recall our league counts three games (for most teams) as a complete week?

Just checking, because this makes roster changes even more important than usual.

Cheers.

That’s right - standard Monday to Sunday. 

I would hold off on making any trades for picks just now. I'd like to gauge feelings on maybe increasing the number of keepers a weeeee bit once we get to the off-season.
I think that may be a prudent move, especially if we manage to keep all the teams managed. I wouldn't go doubling it or anything but a raise to the 12/15 range. Less wholesale changes could also stimulate more trade action during the season.

5 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:
16 hours ago, placidcasual said:
I would hold off on making any trades for picks just now. I'd like to gauge feelings on maybe increasing the number of keepers a weeeee bit once we get to the off-season.

I think that may be a prudent move, especially if we manage to keep all the teams managed. I wouldn't go doubling it or anything but a raise to the 12/15 range. Less wholesale changes could also stimulate more trade action during the season.

Increasing the keepers gets my vote - 10 makes it very tricky (although that could be part of the skill in building a team). I'd agree something like 12 or 13 would make sense.

I think the only way to get more trades happening is if we have more teams.  It's just too easy to pick up a decent option from the waivers at the moment and because we have fairly large rosters you rarely have to make a tough choice about who to cut. 

I would be really disappointed if we increased the number of keepers. It's what keeps the league fairly fresh and interesting in the absence of trades. I actually think that 10 is too much.

If it was possible to increase the number of teams then great, not sure we have enough interested parties.

Is there any need to have such a large roster? I have several guys I haven't played at all this season.

2 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

I would be really disappointed if we increased the number of keepers. It's what keeps the league fairly fresh and interesting in the absence of trades. I actually think that 10 is too much.

If it was possible to increase the number of teams then great, not sure we have enough interested parties.

Is there any need to have such a large roster? I have several guys I haven't played at all this season.

I get what you're saying, but it is meant to be a Dynasty league.  

I get what you're saying, but it is meant to be a Dynasty league.  
I agree. That's the point in the format, building teams for not only the current season but for the foreseeable future. With that in mind I think that's why you should have so many roster spots. So that you can have some prospects for the future secured.

It’s a no from me. Actually all of the above from me. I’d be up for maybe four or four be keepers and a squad of 16 or 18.

It’s a no from me. Actually all of the above from me. I’d be up for maybe four or four be keepers and a squad of 16 or 18.

I have no problem with this either if it's what we choose to do. But, then that's a keepers league and not a dynasty league. We just have to decide what avenue we'd rather go down.

2 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:
5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I have no problem with this either if it's what we choose to do. But, then that's a keepers league and not a dynasty league. We just have to decide what avenue we'd rather go down.

2 leagues and do both?

12 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:
15 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

This is a fair point, actually.  I'm all in favour of ramping it up some.  Is it possible to add age quotas, or separate rookie drafting into the league?    If it's a dynasty league, eventually the lack of trades is going to be a problem (of course, the simple solution would be to have more teams, but we're just a tiny bunch, the Baseball thread gang!)

Zach Britton becomes the latest player to go on my list of p***ks.  I've held onto him all season whilst he's been injured, he returns and starts to look good again after a slow start  then moves to a team where he has no chance of securing the closers role any time soon.

p***k.

Zach Britton becomes the latest player to go on my list of p***ks.  I've held onto him all season whilst he's been injured, he returns and starts to look good again after a slow start  then moves to a team where he has no chance of securing the closers role any time soon.

p***k.

That’s another point. Holds really need to be a scoring category if you are going to have such big squads. Somebody like Adam Ottavino, probably the best reliever in baseball this year, is effectively worthless in our league.

I just had a look at the potential scoring categories - hadn't even considered there would be as many as there are!

But aye, holds seems like an obvious one to add.  Perhaps introduce a fielding category or two as well?

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Any way to cancel a trade if both parties agree? Could just trade back I suppose

If it can't be cancelled by our commish, I'll happily veto it for you if you've both changed your mind!

Thought it looked like a cracking trade all in all though. We need more of that!

Archived