Fantasy Baseball 2017

placidcasual

12 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Can I get a yay or a nay from the rest of you, preferably by the end of this month - that'll give me an idea of teams etc. From there I'll get a redraft sorted out in plenty of time for opening day.

@SamuraiJock @Savage Henry @ChoppeReid @Dee4Life1893 @Cowshed Chris @calum_gers

Also looking for at least one new owner, if anyone else is interested.

Yeah, I'll be back.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be interested in taking that last team. I know next to nothing about baseball mind you but have played some DFS when there is no NFL.

How does the schedule work? Teams play multiple games in quick succession but I see the schedule is for 1 game per week roughly. 

Do all the MLB teams play the same amount of games over the course of a week?

A quick idiots guide would be appreciated before I commit.

You select your line up on a Sunday or Monday. The week runs from Monday to Sunday for scoring purposes. You'll always have guys playing an uneven number of games each week but it evens itself out and the scoring is low so the difference is negligible. The only one you need to look for is if your starting pitcher has two scheduled starts. They can make a big difference.

Your welcome to give it a go for a season. It's a dynasty league so even if it's not going well the incentive is there to keep building your team. All I'm really looking for is a commitment to at least set your line up once a week.

On 2/8/2018 at 02:16, placidcasual said:

Can everyone set their keepers please? Up to 25 so no requirement to drop anyone. I'll do a 5 round draft once that's done. Can you make sure they're set by 14th February.   I've increased the rosters to 30.

25 keepers basically means the same teams will win it next season - i.e the teams with the ace pitching who get the most two start weeks.

May I suggest we cut it to ten keepers?  It's more of a challenge, makes the draft more interesting, and leads to some tough decisions on who should stay... and who should die.

25 keepers basically means the same teams will win it next season - i.e the teams with the ace pitching who get the most two start weeks.
May I suggest we cut it to ten keepers?  It's more of a challenge, makes the draft more interesting, and leads to some tough decisions on who should stay... and who should die.

I could do. I'm not so sure about going down to 10 as it's almost a redraft then. Any more input is welcome...

50 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

I could do. I'm not so sure about going down to 10 as it's almost a redraft then. Any more input is welcome...

I've always thought that the idea of keeper leagues 1. there should  fewer keepers than there are essential players in a squad, so that you have to manage who you keep. 2. Teams who have had a weaker draft can get rid of more poor players and parity ensues over time.   With only five new roster spots, the strong teams keep all the best players anyway, and reinforce as necessary, so barring season long injuries, this season will follow last season's results.

But it's your league! I may be completely misunderstanding the idea.

FWIW, In my other keeper league, we only keep five from a roster of 20. 

I'm new to this league, but 25 does sound a high amount of keepers. If the roster sizes are 30 you shouldn't really keep more than half your roster. So I'd suggest somewhere in the range of 10-15 keepers. That way teams can be rewarded for past success in previous seasons, but also gives the lesser teams hopes of improving their rosters and not just by a couple of decent additions.

I'm new as well but having spent an evening of research I managed to identify 13 keepers and to be honest at least 5 of them were borderline and would be gone if there had been more attractive free agents. My inherited pitchers in particular are a disaster so fwiw I'd be happy with 10 keepers.

4 hours ago, placidcasual said:

I actually quite like the idea of 10 keepers even though i like my current squad. If nothing else it means i'll end up with a different looking team and it gives something to think over in the meantime.  It does also mean that if someone somehow ends up with a really dominant squad then there's a chance for others the following year.

Alright. I'll change it to ten keepers. We'll do a 15 round draft. An email draft with 150 picks will take far too long so will get a live draft arranged for nearer opening day. There's no rush now to set your keepers. Let's call it end of this month deadline.

Archived