Elgin vs Clyde

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a tough one.

We need the team to give us the commitment and effort we got last night, but will they have enough in their tanks, physically and mentally after last night's exertions and disappointment.

Over to you Barry.

Weather wise it's looking like a decent weekend so let's get up there in numbers and give the guys some backing.

Obviously either feel sorry for ourselves after disappointment last night or take some confidence from good performance, who knows with us?

Don't think tiredness will be too much of an issue as our "new" cup tied signings will probably come in, hopefully McMillan fit so another option. Linton seemed ok fitness wise when he came on last night so more quality back in straight away after him missing a few games recently.

Fingers crossed we get our act together and the remainder of the season gets back on track; there is no doubt we are more than capable of finishing in play off place but we need consistency and from Saturday onwards our players actually turning up. At least we seem to have a keeper now which is helpful.     

mckenzie ,finnie ,linton ,flynn there are four fresh players for saturday the boy miller looked ok last night and if we get mcmillan back then we could possibly change half the team if there is tiredness . The cup run has been excellent and in a way has masked the last three months in which we haven't won a league game our next five games are Elgin away Annan away Montrose at home Forfar at home Arbroath away  The results will  tell us if the play off place will be achieved.  Hope I'm wrong but after those run of games I cant see us being less than double figures away from the play offs.  Even after good results in the cup it hasn't tranferred on to league form and you have to question why ?

fingers crossed 

15 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

mckenzie ,finnie ,linton ,flynn there are four fresh players for saturday the boy miller looked ok last night and if we get mcmillan back then we could possibly change half the team if there is tiredness . The cup run has been excellent and in a way has masked the last three months in which we haven't won a league game our next five games are Elgin away Annan away Montrose at home Forfar at home Arbroath away  The results will  tell us if the play off place will be achieved.  Hope I'm wrong but after those run of games I cant see us being less than double figures away from the play offs.  Even after good results in the cup it hasn't tranferred on to league form and you have to question why ?

fingers crossed 

Good honest post - but after watching last night, I have new found optimism, hopefully go on a decent run (fingers crossed) :thumsup2

Not a great fixture to come back to after the cup exploits. Although we lost to Ayr we matched them over the two games. Johnston, Smith, McNiff and Gormley all put in decent performances in the cup and hopefully this carries on into the league.

Will be interesting to see who we start on Saturday with a much larger pool of players to choose from than recent weeks.

Personally I think it's exactly the right kind of game.

They've just gone toe to toe with a team two leagues above.  That must have given them some new confidence.  Away to Elgin won't be any tougher than away at Somerset, so if we can go up there to the team in 2nd (?) and get the 3 points, that could be the game that triggers off some momentum. I'm not saying it should be easy against any of these teams but they should now go into these games thinking all of them are winnable at least, buoy them up a bit.

Maybe they did raise their game, twice, against Ayr, but it also means they're capable of that standard of performance and have something to play for.  That's got to be an incentive for them.

1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Personally I think it's exactly the right kind of game.

They've just gone toe to toe with a team two leagues above.  That must have given them some new confidence.  Away to Elgin won't be any tougher than away at Somerset, so if we can go up there to the team in 2nd (?) and get the 3 points, that could be the game that triggers off some momentum. I'm not saying it should be easy against any of these teams but they should now go into these games thinking all of them are winnable at least, buoy them up a bit.

Maybe they did raise their game, twice, against Ayr, but it also means they're capable of that standard of performance and have something to play for.  That's got to be an incentive for them.

hope your right but two very good performances against  Arbroath and Striling certainly didn't result in improved league performances , as i said earlier the next 3 to 4 weeks will determine if we will make the play offs and the managerial skills of BF and the desire of the players.

with the squad we have we should be comfortably in the play offs and not far off challenging. something is wrong when they seem to be able to turn performances on in the cup but haven't won a league game since November.  Just hope its been rectified 

14 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

hope your right but two very good performances against  Arbroath and Striling certainly didn't result in improved league performances , as i said earlier the next 3 to 4 weeks will determine if we will make the play offs and the managerial skills of BF and the desire of the players.

with the squad we have we should be comfortably in the play offs and not far off challenging. something is wrong when they seem to be able to turn performances on in the cup but haven't won a league game since November.  Just hope its been rectified 

That's basically what I'm saying though.  They've shown in these two games they have the ability to match that standard so in theory they've certainly nothing to fear in the league games.

So you can only assume there was something going on "mentally" when it comes to the league, prior to playing Ayr.  Hopefully these two games have helped restore confidence, and in this league anyone who goes on a decent run are virtually guaranteed to make the playoffs. Plus of course other than Easton & Lowdon, injuries have cleared up and the depth of squad is greater, so you'd think that would give them a more positive outlook moving forward.

If you'd the choice of promotion or a quarter final, it's a no brainer. So the incentive should really still be greater.  

If we lose to Elgin this week and then to Annan next, I think that'd be the point beyond which redemption was completely unthinkable. We'd be taking a real punt on our status as a senior side if we couldn't get rid at that point.

Half time saturday. Barry and gormley must go posters will be back....

Don't really think we have much of a chance of play offs unless we hit a real good vein of form

Interesting listening to the radio on the way to the game Derek Ferguson thinks we are under achieving as did everyone else on radio scotland and they have BF on all the time backing him up

If we don't go up it won't be the fans fault in fact I think BF and the team have been shown lot more patience than other managers This is his third attempt at promotion and the board have given him all the support The only one who should carry the can us the manager

Hope they can turn it around

Archived