Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rodders1910 said:

No chance ayr will win this. Extra time now in the second leg against Clyde...

You can never say never.

We did beat Raith after their marathon tie against Hearts recently. Hopefully for us, your lads will be tired after tonight. Midweek cup ties are murder for us part-timers.

Home win with a brace from the Prince, and one from Fleming if he's fully fit. :)

28 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Ayr have several players who didn't play tonight, who will start on Saturday, at least according to McCall post-match. I doubt that tiredness will be a decisive factor. Ayr have gone nine away games without a loss.

I'm not saying it will make a difference, but it looks likely the majority of the side that started tonight will still play on Saturday. Yes, it looks like a few have been rested but I would imagine 6 or 7 will start that started tonight.

I'd be more confident away from home as we lately seem to have been more impressive away (which sounds ridiculous considering how bad our away form was until we got that victory over St Mirren a few months ago) than we have been at home. But if we give a Hibs/Raith performance then we will ease it, if we play like we have the last few weeks we should hopefully avoid defeat.

8 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Ayr have several players who didn't play tonight, who will start on Saturday, at least according to McCall post-match. I doubt that tiredness will be a decisive factor. Ayr have gone nine away games without a loss.

After our last round tie went to extra time we got pumped on the Saturday  by a Morton side who had looked mediocre in our two previous league games. 

8 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Can we just give Dumbarton the 3 points and all meet in the Stags Head for a piss up? 

You could just send us three points by carrier pigeon and save yourself the journey. Could do without the awful racket you caused the last time.

These are exactly the type of games we end up losing unfortunately. Ayr have had a midweek game and are struggling of late. We have been decent enough and have had a full 2 weeks rest from games. Add to that the bookies have us as favourites. We work terribly when we are expected to win.

Anyway, 3-1 sons. A brace each for Vaughan and Nade. Forrest with the Ayr goal.

This "tired" nonsense is really starting to wear thin. Using similar logic one would think that Clyde should have faltered terribly against us last night as their players are older, their players are quite clearly nowhere near as fit as ours and of course they're playing 2 leagues below us, however as we all know this was far from the case.

I'm sorry, but if professional footballers whether part time or not cannot play 2 matches in a week then there's something far, far wrong with our coaching system and fitness regimes in this country.

Does anyone remember when "part timers" used to play 44 league games in a season plus more cup games than currently ?

Does anyone remember when we were only allowed 2 substitutes (and Ally was loathe to use any on many occasions) ??

Does anyone remember when most professional football clubs only had a core group of 14 or 15 first team players ???

Does anyone remember when we played with a heavier ball, wore heavier boots and played on heavier parks, which we actually ran around on ????

No, I'm sorry, I just don't buy this "too tired" crap !!!

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This "tired" nonsense is really starting to wear thin. Using similar logic one would think that Clyde should have faltered terribly against us last night as their players are older, their players are quite clearly nowhere near as fit as ours and of course they're playing 2 leagues below us, however as we all know this was far from the case.

I'm sorry, but if professional footballers whether part time or not cannot play 2 matches in a week then there's something far, far wrong with our coaching system and fitness regimes in this country.

Does anyone remember when "part timers" used to play 44 league games in a season plus more cup games than currently ?

Does anyone remember when we were only allowed 2 substitutes (and Ally was loathe to use any on many occasions) ??

Does anyone remember when most professional football clubs only had a core group of 14 or 15 first team players ???

Does anyone remember when we played with a heavier ball, wore heavier boots and played on heavier parks, which we actually ran around on ????

I remember when footballers went down the pit for 5 hours before playing football on a Saturday then played again the next day after having 20 pints !! Real men back then, none of your hairbands and girlie coloured boots !!!

But you've missed the point that Dumbarton haven't played for two weeks whereas we've played twice, including last night in a game that went to extra-time on an artificial pitch. It's not about being 'too tired' or not being able to play two games in a week it is about Dumbarton potentially being fresher; we will see if that is the case. Personally I don't have any concerns that fitness will be an issue. I am more concerned about the mentality of the players, they cut a fairly sorry bunch last night - they can't afford to take that attitude into Saturday's game.

But you could turn that on it's head quite easily and say that we're match fit but Dumbarton may be rusty as they haven't played recently.

As for the 20 pints, some of our current players look as if they've got a 20 pint hangover when they're playing.

Give me a fag smoking, pint drinking Henry Templeton any day of the week over our current crop.................

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

But you could turn that on it's head quite easily and say that we're match fit but Dumbarton may be rusty as they haven't played recently.

As for the 20 pints, some of our current players look as if they've got a 20 pint hangover when they're playing.

Give me a fag smoking, pint drinking Henry Templeton any day of the week over our current crop.................

Yep, we will be rusty from having 1 weekend without a game... :wacko:

What a load of shite.

No one is claiming the Ayr players will be crawling around the park absolutely fucked because they went to extra time against Clyde. It's not ideal preperation for an important league match, legs will be more tired than they were had 120 minutes on the Tuesday not taken place and the risk of players picking up slight knocks increases. It's not a guaranteed defeat, far from it, but I'm 100% certain your players and manager would've preferred to have done without it.

Take your back in the good old days pish to the "When rape was banter" thread you dinosaur.

I don't think you will be "rusty" but equally I don't think we will be "tired", I was merely pointing out that a case could be made just the same for either, even though it's utter garbage so far as I'm concerned..........

Archived