Partick Thistle vs Hamilton Academical

Terrible, terrible first half from both sides. Not sure if Accies switched formation in the second, but we seemed to have more space in midfield, whereas we were getting closed down and not creating much in the first. Erskine and Doolan changed the game when they came on. Good too that Archie isn't scared to switch formation and tactics if he thinks it's not working. Accies didn't look to have a cutting edge to them at all, but that may well be down the way the defence coped with them, Barton, Lindsay and Devine looked comfortable for the whole game.

Two positives from the game, the three points and Dumbuya managing to get 90 minutes in his legs.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Where's leefy the night?

19 minutes ago, leefy118 said:

Sookin yer grabbies nobbies

Shares in Bostick go through the roof :P

This game was absolutely brutal until Doolan came on and then a bit shit until Erskine came on. They totally transformed the creative threat we posed to a fucking horrendous Hamilton team, causing several orders of magnitude more problems for their attack than Amoo and Azeez. Asides anything else they drew players away Fromm Stevie Lawless, which gave him far more time on the ball and they gave him a quick out ball too.

Unless the wing backs are really going full pelt a midfield of Barton and Osman doesn't quite gel. I think it was wise to move the former into defence and completely free Dumbuya especially but also Booth. I thought Dumbuya had a very good game but without the requisite support there's only so much you can do at right back.

Defensively we were ugly if solid.

Not complaining at the three points but on the first 55 minutes of the game neither side deserved so much as a draw from this.

Basically, you need footballers to score goals and win football matches. Who knew?

13 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

Liam Lindsay was the best player on the park by a mile. He will play at a much higher level than this. 

Dools and Erskine changed the game, we didn't look like creating anything til they came on.

He was very good. Devine for me, never put a foot wrong. Which was nice...

53 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

He was very good. Devine for me, never put a foot wrong. Which was nice...

I've been Devine's biggest critic but he couldn't be faulted today, hopefully the start of a good run.

Getting a result and not playing well is a huge bonus, I met a zoomer at half time who said Archie was incapable of changing tactics....would love to meet him now.

Accies for me shaded a very poor first half, and clearly 120 minutes on Tuesday took their toll, McKinnon is a player at least 10 teams in the league would love to have, fought for everything, cajoled team mates and was a general pain in the arse..snuff said

The veritable game of two halves. First half was shocking abysmal quality from both sides. The obvious turning point was the introduction of Doolan and particularly Erskine. Accies were even worse than they were earlier in the season and its a toss up to see if either them or ICT end up bottom: nothing whatsoever against Accies fans, but I'm afraid you look doomed unless Mr Canning does something to his side and soon. Thistle without Doolan and Erskine are usually lacking any sort of inventive spark, particularly in the final third. Thinl today may prove to be a vital win for us this season and hopefully convince Archie, that playing with only Ade up front is a poor idea. 

Hats off to Archibald and Paterson for sorting out our defence. The first few months of the season were a nightmare because you just couldn't rely on them keeping a clean sheet. We lost Seabourne, Frans and worst of all, Gary Miller. Dumbaya missing the first half of the season didn't help matters either. I failed to see how we would replace them. Danny Devine was every bit the disaster that ICT fans said he would be.

Now we have three absolutely solid centre halves in Liam Lindsay - outstanding for months now and looking destined for bigger things, Niall Keown who is looking like another steal from the English lower leagues and of course the aforementioned Devine who has improved beyond recognition. It says a lot for our strength in depth that we could afford to drop Keown who was excellent last week in Perth. 

Calum Booth is starting to look like the player he was last season again and Dumbaya seems to be getting over his injury troubles for now. I don't think it's any coincidence that our defence has become a lot more stingy since Cerny has been back in the team. Aside from the fact he's a quality goalkeeper, he does a tremendous amount of work when the ball is at the other end of the pitch, constantly organising his defence and coaching them through games.

With a relatively generous run of fixtures between now and the split, we really need to grasp this opportunity and believe we're good enough. Going on to win today after being so poor in the first half can only be encouraging. We'd never have managed to do that at the start of the season.

Things look bleak for the Accies, but I'd be reluctant to write them off. They have shown that they can pull off a result when people least expect it, especially at home. There aren't too many teams in the bottom six that are capable of going on a three or four game winning run, meaning that they are unlikely to become too isolated even with the horrific run of fixtures they have coming up.

As much as Scully has improved, I don't think it can be understated how much solidity Cerny brings to the defence.

Whilst Doolan scored the two goals, Erskine was the clear man of the match where the two teams spent the first hour punting the ball to each other., after he came on we got the ball down and started playing. Accies playing 120 minutes in midweek seemed to matter.

Horrendous that I have to spend so much time talking about the ref but Collum was that bad. We should have had 2 players booked for tugs on MacKinnon in the first half but the Tesco Value Scott Brown had about 3 instances of dissent, a handball , and a "shoulder" into the back of Callum Booth. Think Devlin could have walked as well for the tackle he was booked for.

Archived