Blast From The Past!

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:
11 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:
Those of us who lived in the north had to put up with this fellah..
unnamed.jpg.68f9ee3b2623e68b5a3ac9d8b96bcc9c.jpg
Where exactly was the divide between Grampian and STV? I'm pretty sure Dundee was north of the Marquis/Thomson line. I'm not sure about Fife or Perth.
STV  always seemed far cooler than Grampian. I remember looking enviously at the TV page in the Daily Record when STV had all night music programmes while Grampian went off at 11pm, after Reflections.

Why does that Man have a haggis on his head and have no Christian name?

It's because he was a Grampian TV presenter and they were a strange breed. 

His co-presenter was the gloriously named Jimmy Spankie.

unnamed.jpg.b6a7ddb423e1c4942d46917da073e8d2.jpg

Guest Moomintroll
Sportscene was, was it not?
Probably, I remember the song being played but I can't remember what programme it was.

5 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Where exactly was the divide between Grampian and STV? I'm pretty sure Dundee was north of the Marquis/Thomson line. I'm not sure about Fife or Perth.

STV  always seemed far cooler than Grampian. I remember looking enviously at the TV page in the Daily Record when STV had all night music programmes while Grampian went off at 11pm, after Reflections.

Folk I knew who lived in North Berwick could get both Grampian and STV- presumably they picked up the signal from Aberdeen which sticks out past Fife if you draw a straight line.

Incidentally there was a competition c1977 on Grampian news for kids to send in a drawing of a steam train called "Paint a puffer". 

The very young me did a painting and entered it. Dad told me I'd won a prize- exciting stuff to a young lad. It duly came in the post-

A Grampian TV car sticker. F*cking magic.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Incidentally there was a competition c1977 on Grampian news for kids to send in a drawing of a steam train called "Paint a puffer". 

The very young me did a painting and entered it. Dad told me I'd won a prize- exciting stuff to a young lad. It duly came in the post-

A Grampian TV car sticker. F*cking magic.

While we're discussing Grampian, here's Kennedy Thomson reading out some birthday wishes. 

4 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

My brother who stays near Chapple Village in Kirkcaldy had a few aerials and could get STV Grampian and Border TV.

This would have been the height of tv viewing back in the day. Bloody kids these days don't know they're born.

f**k sakes, I almost forgot about reflections. Pick a local minister and let them waffle shite at the end of the night.
Up there with BBC 2 fucking off to Gaelic when cartoons were on.
Dotaman, Donnie murdo, catlick planet or what ever that was.
Nothing more disappointing when the TV had 4 and a half channels (5 signal was awful where I was, even after swapping the TV ariel for the much better metal coathanger) and half of it was unwatchable.

6 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

f**k sakes, I almost forgot about reflections. Pick a local minister and let them waffle shite at the end of the night.
Up there with BBC 2 fucking off to Gaelic when cartoons were on.
Dotaman, Donnie murdo, catlick planet or what ever that was.
Nothing more disappointing when the TV had 4 and a half channels (5 signal was awful where I was, even after swapping the TV ariel for the much better metal coathanger) and half of it was unwatchable.

To be fair mate. With dozen of channels now I still struggle to find something worth watching.

It's just a thinner and wider spread of shite these days.

11 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Staying with all things STV/Grampian...The Laird o' Coocaddens  😬

20200309_064502.thumb.jpg.881d7ad3f71543681ff8f1246c96bf11.jpg20200309_064522.jpg.961fcfd6af5540a3afc73ffdfab2204d.jpg

The things that we watched when we had 3 channels,  was that on a Friday night?

On 08/03/2020 at 14:04, tongue_tied_danny said:

While we're discussing Grampian, here's Kennedy Thomson reading out some birthday wishes. 

Was that a teuchter  version of cartoon cavalcade?