Blast From The Past!

• 3 weeks later...
This type of technology below seemed like a big part of growing up.

I read somewhere recently that they could wash a load in about 15 minutes. I don't remember that but if it's true why the f**k were they replaced?cd252b5ed8355fc9dc417b2bf7924d54.jpeg.bad1594726eb4fff03ed604d7e34555b.jpeg
Maybe it was just down to my old man being too cheap to pay £2 in the Hydro shop for a replacement , but I remember our one had an utterly useless rubber hose to connect it to the sink taps. Every wash would result in a very wet and soapy kitchen lino

• 3 months later...

This'll be an alien concept to youngsters brought up in the smart phone era, but people used to hang around TV shops on a Saturday afternoon to check out the football scores.

p07396f2.jpg.2ac74cdf494d4e7a32ab600789adbdae.jpg

That's the only picture that I can find and it appears to be Welsh rugby fans, but it's the same idea. After watching a game at Links Park I would head up the High Street and catch the results in a shop window. One shop in the town even put on Ceefax on Saturday afternoon so that shoppers could check the scores. How's that for public service?

In fact, do you even get town centre shops with switched on Tv's in the window any more? It all seems to be Argos and out of town retail parks these days.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

27 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

This'll be an alien concept to youngsters brought up in the smart phone era, but people used to hang around TV shops on a Saturday afternoon to check out the football scores.

p07396f2.jpg.2ac74cdf494d4e7a32ab600789adbdae.jpg

That's the only picture that I can find and it appears to be Welsh rugby fans, but it's the same idea. After watching a game at Links Park I would head up the High Street and catch the results in a shop window. One shop in the town even put on Ceefax on Saturday afternoon so that shoppers could check the scores. How's that for public service?

In fact, do you even get town centre shops with switched on Tv's in the window any more? It all seems to be Argos and out of town retail parks these days.

It's odd that even now in the days of smartphones and immediate updates and notifications on games, after being at the football you'll still see groups (myself included) crowded round the TV in the pub waiting the final scores and checking their coupons 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

It's odd that even now in the days of smartphones and immediate updates and notifications on games, after being at the football you'll still see groups (myself included) crowded round the TV in the pub waiting the final scores and checking their coupons 

That’s not odd, it’s normal human stuff.
Odd is religion and monarchy. That is bonkers.

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

It makes your coupon last longer. If i checked mine live they'd be in the bin by half 3 🤣

Further back than that, I remember having to wait for the lad selling the evening paper (Green Final in my case) to come round the pubs on a Saturday night to catch up with scores. I always wondered how much these lads made in tips, considering their main clientele were usually half pished

3 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

Further back than that, I remember having to wait for the lad selling the evening paper (Green Final in my case) to come round the pubs on a Saturday night to catch up with scores. I always wondered how much these lads made in tips, considering their main clientele were usually half pished

It was The Sporting Post in my area. I remember the scores on the front weren't always accurate.  There was a "late scorers" amendment section on the back page.

28 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I was that soldier! Evening Times, Saturday Pink edition in my case. Yes, profitable days for schoolboy Bold in the early 70s.

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was The Sporting Post in my area. I remember the scores on the front weren't always accurate.  There was a "late scorers" amendment section on the back page.

Didn’t do pubs but had paper round that meant waiting until anytime between 6.30-7pm for the late edition of The Sporting Post to arrive. This was after doing a 5pm delivery of the Tele.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

I was that soldier! Evening Times, Saturday Pink edition in my case. Yes, profitable days for schoolboy Bold in the early 70s.

We're you anything like the wee c**t in Montrose who would take your pound coin, hand you the paper and then promptly f**k off without offering any change?

12 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

We're you anything like the wee c**t in Montrose who would take your pound coin, hand you the paper and then promptly f**k off without offering any change?

Certainly not. All businesses depend on customer satisfaction and recurring trade. And there were no pound coins then.

The crowding-round-the-Radio-Rentals-window thing reminded me of being dragged out to a local shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon during the European Championships when I was a kid. I noticed the electronics section in a department store had Eire v Holland on one of the TVs, so abandoned my mum to set up camp in front of the game. It must have been a decent match, as I didn't notice until the Dutch scored at the end that I'd been joined by dozens of men who'd presumably escaped from/been parked in front of the football by their wives  :lol: