Blast From The Past!

22 hours ago, coprolite said:

When i were a lad, the year 2000 was so futuristic it had a dystopian comic named after it. Now it's a "blast from the past" images.jpeg.253c1512cbf44a1f456a2183e8e85203.jpeg

I grew up thinking the World Cup in Japan was so far away in the future. Scary to think it was 18 years ago.

7 hours ago, get_the_subbies_on said:

When I started work (at 17), I thought the folk who had 2 years service were old timers. 34 years later....

Last week was my 41st anniversary of starting work...thoroughly depressing! My second line manager is 34 to make matters worse.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_inline_p7g65g8AU41qhyw63_500.png

i was a huge fan of Moviedrome in my youth. For the uninitiated, this was a BBC2 series devoted to cult classic movies. It was on a Sunday night and each film was introduced by Alex Cox. 

I developed a real love for cult movies watching Moviedrome.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

On 19/03/2020 at 08:04, tongue_tied_danny said:

You never see custom cars these days...

1.Ford_Pop_Hot_Rod_in_Commercial_Street_Dundee.jpg.acd52f16a16a5620021229b9a9b25b3b.jpg

Shitty Max Power boy racer efforts don't count. It's time for a custom car revival...

That looks like Commercial Street in Dundee.

BTW agree with you about a custom car revival.

19 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

tumblr_inline_p7g65g8AU41qhyw63_500.png

i was a huge fan of Moviedrome in my youth. For the uninitiated, this was a BBC2 series devoted to cult classic movies. It was on a Sunday night and each film was introduced by Alex Cox. 

I developed a real love for cult movies watching Moviedrome.

Used to enjoy Moviedrome on BBC 2. Very influential for me in finding some unusual independent movies.

Cox directed Sid & Nancy, Repo Man which were pretty decent films.

Looking forward to the first Mastermind post to be met with that Mintola image.

Anyway, I blame Jonathan Ross and his Incredibly Strange Film Show for my teenage obsession with odd and obscure films. Looks like some of the episodes are on YouTube, so that's my viewing sorted for tomorrow. I'm still vaguely hoping to track down a copy of The Illinois Enema Bandit.

Did anyone else stay up 'til 3am on Saturday nights to have Mariella Frostrup's voice soothe them to sleep on The Little Picture Show?

41 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Looking forward to the first Mastermind post to be met with that Mintola image.

Anyway, I blame Jonathan Ross and his Incredibly Strange Film Show for my teenage obsession with odd and obscure films. Looks like some of the episodes are on YouTube, so that's my viewing sorted for tomorrow. I'm still vaguely hoping to track down a copy of The Illinois Enema Bandit.

Did anyone else stay up 'til 3am on Saturday nights to have Mariella Frostrup's voice soothe them to sleep on The Little Picture Show?

Was the Illinois Enema Bandit the film where Burt Reynolds disappeared up his own arse?

• 3 weeks later...

Was watching a video on Eighties toys when these A-Team action figures popped up, and suddenly I was five years old again and feeling the utter joy at seeing TOYS! TOYS, MUM!

goodguys.jpg

Anyone else on here have these? I swear I got mine from Happy Meals or something similar, as I ended up with more than one of the lad in the orange jumpsuit (whichever he was supposed to be) and have a vague memory of playing with them in some restaurant or other. I never questioned it at the time, but their odd outfits were due to re-use of existing plastic moulds for other action figures. The shit you learn. There was an interesting series on Netflix about that kind of thing, but I forget the title and I cancelled my subscription a while back.