Blast From The Past!

18 minutes ago, L'immortale Par said:

The Capri replaced a silver Cortina (must have been one of the last ones). I remember my arthritic old grandpa raging about getting folded into the back of the Capri.

We did that in reverse we had a capri, the basic one tbf. I think that was as far as the old man would push is luck. He got a mark 4 1.6 Cortina which was a cracking car. He's had a mark 2 before the capri, again the 1.3 not  1600E.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We did that in reverse we had a capri, the basic one tbf. I think that was as far as the old man would push is luck. He got a mark 4 1.6 Cortina which was a cracking car. He's had a mark 2 before the capri, again the 1.3 not  1600E.

The Cortina replaced the Panzer?

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The MkII 1600E was a step up from the 'cooking' Cortina 1600 (which my auld man had) and had lowered suspension, wood veneer and a rev counter.  A much coveted car in Motherwell!

My old man had the obscure DAF 33 which was an automatic made in the Netherlands. It had a button on the dashboard for giving you extra power for going up steep hills. He told us kids not to touch the button so we pretended it was for a James Bond style ejector seat.

The seats were black plastic. If you left the car parked in the sun and came back they burned yer bum with the heat they'd absorbed.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Somewhat different now

Yeah but what VW had in between (early 90s)  was the Corrado which was a pretty decent car and a Sirocco for all intensive purposes.   Looks pretty good:

VW-Corrado-5.jpg.a495da9afa2fa53cd94ed50aee5f6226.jpg

From the car option list in about 1992/3 I opted for the Honda Prelude which had a 2.2l VTec engine and about 180 bhp but also had 4 wheel steering.  OK so it looked a bit like a hairdresser's car but was just a delight to drive.

536739977_prelude2.2.thumb.jpeg.048bb69581b4efa81a768dae798085aa.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When I was a kid a guy down the street had one of these.  Was considered cool as f**k at the time!

.h4uqeX8bWa4Yh8lufm5f76sUfm7nAhwdjDYsmmGm

An Opel Manta?  You're from Motherwell(ish) and about my age.  There can't have been more than one about.

Still, cool AF.

Edit:  Referencing another post - I am 95% convinced that the chip shop when you came out of Motherwell Baths and turned right (the one just up from the library) was Gino's rather than Mario's.

Edited by The_Kincardine

If we’re doing ‘yer da’s company car’  mine hit his peak with one of these. Granada Ghia 2.8. Seemed like something unworldly at the time. Had to wash it weekly for my pocket money but the wheels were an utter bitch to clean. 😂

AC553116-7F19-431A-87A4-9261F3737214.jpeg

Edited by alta-pete