Blast From The Past!

raleigh-burner-35th-anniversary-01_1200x

Pretty sure my first bike was one of these. The height you could get if you hit a ramp at speed was really something else. Mines was obviously better than this one as it had spokie dokies and a Kelloggs Frosties reflector on the wheel.

Edited by Bert Raccoon

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

image.png.f3001648bbb9857d025681023ce6048f.png

I then moved on to one of these. Well before the advent of mountain bikes, cool as f**k. No mudguards, cowhorn handlebars, balloon tyres, the lot. You could do some speed on it, even with only the Sturmey Archer 3 speed. I think the gearing was meant for 20" wheels, this bad boy had 26"s.

Anyway, it met its end as I was cycling home pished, c.1988. In those days the Council turned the streetlights off at night. Someone had left their front door porch light on and my attention was drawn like a moth to a flame. At that point was doing about 25mph when the bike hit the boot end of the unseen parked VW Polo. Front forks crumpled, perfect bike shaped dent in the Polo bumper, I landed on the bonnet and I can only assume I got a nasty knock to the head as I cannot remember leaving my insurance details before fleeing the scene...  

Late 80s I'd something similar. Raleigh Maverick,  5 speed gears which were geared quite high and was murder going up hills. 

360_d2b8cab8e0b57eb1f43354eaaa45961f.jpg

49a6439f9896447772ee8a9183b915d92a4a842f

15 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

raleigh-burner-35th-anniversary-01_1200x

Pretty sure my first bike was one of these. The height you could get if you hit a ramp at speed was really something else. Mines was obviously better than this one as it had spokie dokies and a Kelloggs Frosties reflector on the wheel.

This one for me, I think.  It's the yellow wheels that stick  in my memory.  

e1d0a18cc463ed91bcd0abaeec79de80.jpg

Edited by bennett
Pic not loading

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

image.png.f3001648bbb9857d025681023ce6048f.png

I then moved on to one of these. Well before the advent of mountain bikes, cool as f**k. No mudguards, cowhorn handlebars, balloon tyres, the lot. You could do some speed on it, even with only the Sturmey Archer 3 speed. I think the gearing was meant for 20" wheels, this bad boy had 26"s.

Anyway, it met its end as I was cycling home pished, c.1988. In those days the Council turned the streetlights off at night. Someone had left their front door porch light on and my attention was drawn like a moth to a flame. At that point was doing about 25mph when the bike hit the boot end of the unseen parked VW Polo. Front forks crumpled, perfect bike shaped dent in the Polo bumper, I landed on the bonnet and I can only assume I got a nasty knock to the head as I cannot remember leaving my insurance details before fleeing the scene...  

That just needs a basket on the front, removal of centre bar, and somewhere to put your pigtails/masculinity.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Late 80s I'd something similar. Raleigh Maverick,  5 speed gears which were geared quite high and was murder going up hills. 

360_d2b8cab8e0b57eb1f43354eaaa45961f.jpg

49a6439f9896447772ee8a9183b915d92a4a842f

This one for me, I think.  It's the yellow wheels that stick  in my memory.  

e1d0a18cc463ed91bcd0abaeec79de80.jpg

From your posts on this thread Bennet I think you and I must be around the same age, if not exactly the same. 

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

A Raleigh Wolf Cub.  Had a wee computer screen (blank screen with noise buttons on it).  My pride and joy when I was wee.  God knows how my parents managed to afford it. 

B1DBA8B6-8192-45E7-BF9D-F7F6BE0DEA59.jpeg

Never heard of that. I wonder if it was the smaller version of the Vektar the same way that the Tomohawk was the smaller version of the Chopper and the Budgie was the smaller version of tbe Tomohawk. You could get insane height on your bunnyhops on the Budgie. 

images (18).jpeg

4996b717c52071a8fac606dd7a6456e9.jpg