Blast From The Past!

20 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The old school Boys annuals:
Roy_of_the_Rovers_Annual.jpeg

He-Man was some boy - defending Castle Greyskull and battering Skeletor through the week then curling in 25 yarders into the top corner for Melchester Rovers on the weekend. 

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

Once the gears broke, it was like trying to pedal a tank at times.

Or once somebody stole your gear chain while it was outside the shops. 

Eta: This thing. 

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by Dee Man

6 hours ago, Tynierose said:

See the source image

You know that's not actually been used seeing as neither goalie has been snapped yet.

Eta:  It also somewhat randomly reminds of how very few of the 42 SPFL teams play in red home strips, despite the above representing your stereotypical football game.   Basically Aberdeen, Brechin & (at a push) Stirling.  Also only four of out of the HL and LL (Brora, Deveronvale, Lossie & Civil Service Strollers).   So 7 out of 75 (<10%).

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

He-Man was some boy - defending Castle Greyskull and battering Skeletor through the week then curling in 25 yarders into the top corner for Melchester Rovers on the weekend. 

Hot Shot Hamish was the man. I think he played for Princes Park. I got a letter published, helpfully pointing out that the crowds in the background were excessive for a Scottish lower league side, which won me a tenner

36 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You know that's not actually been used seeing as neither goalie has been snapped yet.

Eta:  It also somewhat randomly reminds of how very few of the 42 SPFL teams play in red home strips, despite the above representing your stereotypical football game.   Basically Aberdeen, Brechin & (at a push) Stirling.  Also only four of out of the HL and LL (Brora, Deveronvale, Lossie & Civil Service Strollers).   So 7 out of 75 (<10%).

The sheep only wore red from 1939.

Up till then it was variations on

aberdeen_1904_1907-am.gif.c06d446d4e9b52a199a77e1e466945b7.gif

Most of my Subbuteo players suffered double leg breaks, some of them multiple times. Fortunately, Airfix glue worked better than any modern physio treatment. One of my Scotland players just had a big blob of glue instead of legs and was notably shorter than the rest. I decided he was Billy Bremner and played him in midfield. The boy could curve around the opposition players like a dream.

It is as well .

Just mind buying them in plastic bags, and the wonders of going through them one by one.

And you always had one that was different from the rest so it was your favorite. I had a green one that I think had once been a stopper in an old glass bottle. Loved that marble, so I did.

8 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I got knocked clean out by one one winter around 1988-89.  Playing for my primary school team on a frozen Blairdardie red ash pitch and went for a ball that dropped between me and their keeper.  It was miles in his favour, but I went for it.  He got to it first and blootered it full force off my face.  I reckon with me going full tilt in one direction and the ball going full tilt in the other, the combined force of impact must have been about 800 miles an hour.  I woke up a bit later at the side of the pitch with my nose plastered across my face.

Do you still get the red ash pitch or blaze over in the West?

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

How many of us had a gat gun

a4b782277c9d3b6a1e4fa4b62e700c9e.jpg

Or a black widow catapult, remember firing marbles and steelies out if it.

1328-Black-widow-CatapultSlingshot-Power

Me and my mates had one of those catapults each, headed up to McCaigs tower in Oban and fired stones over the roof tops! Little shites!

Just now, johnnydun said:

Me and my mates had one of those catapults each, headed up to McCaigs tower in Oban and fired stones over the roof tops! Little shites!

I had one and a day out to Stanley Mills when it was derelict, finishing off the windows that were already broken with various bits of rubble.

Absolutely lethal bits of kit. 

40 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I was a wee shite too back then, you'd never get away with half the stuff nowadays. 

Edit, Blaize pitches were brutal,  haven't seen one in years.

28 minutes ago, Ylf said:

gears where on the handles if i remember ? twisted handle back and forth?

I'm sure it was twist grips and the gear you were in was indicated by a colour, red, yellow and maybe blue.

Edited by bennett