Scottish Islands

8MileBU

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Brilliant, cheers. Brodgar,  Skara Brae, St Magnus are already on the list. Hoy is as well, I'm a bit wary of ferry spots so will need to get that booked as I want to spend the day there.

Definitely doing the HP tour, I was thinking just the standard one for £30 quid which includes 3 drams. The next one up is £60 per head, the gf will not be up for paying that as she doesn't like whisky.

Not arsed for the chapel but the gf wants to see it. Going to get a nice meal out one night as well so will trip advise that for ideas.

Went to HP many moons ago. The missus didn’t like whisky either. On that tour they gave you your dram right at the start then sat you down to watch a video. I thought, fine, I’ll get hers at the end of the video. But she had arsed it 😂 She’s never looked back.

Also Scapa was mothballed while we were in Orkney that time. We did a few house swaps when the kids were young, we had Harbour House at Scapa pier and were looking over to it every day. Went back in 2018 and toured Scapa. A bit meh, and no photos allowed.

The chapel used to be free for you to wander into. It’s now about 3 quid which is no hardship, but if you want photos and aren’t arsed about going in, you have to stand outside the fence. And it’s so popular it’s hard to get a shot without some fat wifey in an orange cagoule wandering out the door just as you press the shutter.

You can go to Hoy by passenger ferry from Stromness but you probably need bikes to get to Rackwick and walk to the Old Man. Otherwise it’s not that worthwhile. Also a car ferry from Houton, goes via Flotta. That way you can visit Longhope (Lifeboat tragedy) and the WWII museum at Lyness, as well as driving up to Rackwick for the Old Man, or climb Ward Hill. The two big hills on Hoy are visible all over Orkney.
There’s a Sea Eagle nest at the Dwarfie Stane which the RSPB make a big fuss about. All the nice young English staff insist on calling it ‘stone’ so you can wind them up by saying what next, Falchurch instead of Falkirk, Churchcaldy instead of Kirkcaldy, Fortfermline for Dunfermline etc etc. And I think it’s pronounced ‘dwaarfie’ rather than ‘dworfie’.

Edited by The Mantis

On 29/06/2021 at 00:07, virginton said:

The whole Firth of Clyde to Arran is turquoise at the moment

IMG_20210628_151339.jpg

True story. This was my view from Kintyre over to Arran from a wee beach near Peninver (between Campbeltown & Carradale) on Tuesday afternoon. Absolutely stunning.

image.thumb.jpeg.07b2280fa876489b3d7862e9c3a48ed1.jpeg

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Brilliant, cheers. Brodgar,  Skara Brae, St Magnus are already on the list. Hoy is as well, I'm a bit wary of ferry spots so will need to get that booked as I want to spend the day there.

Definitely doing the HP tour, I was thinking just the standard one for £30 quid which includes 3 drams. The next one up is £60 per head, the gf will not be up for paying that as she doesn't like whisky.

Not arsed for the chapel but the gf wants to see it. Going to get a nice meal out one night as well so will trip advise that for ideas.

The ferries from Orkney mainland to the other Orkney islands are run by the council and have always been first come first served any time I’ve been up there. Think pre-booking a ferry spot normally only applies to specific HGVs or special delivery type vehicles which need to be carried urgently. Basically though, the inter-island ferries are just town service buses on water for the most part.

That said and now I’ve wrote all the above, it’s been just over two years since I was last in Orkney so not sure if Covid might’ve changed things with the ferries. 

Hoy is definitely worth a visit, even if only for the war museum. It’s not much to look at from outside mind you but I had a couple hours to kill before a return ferry when last on Hoy and could’ve easily spent most of the day in there reading all the stuff on the walls and in the displays.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d03662d3029bf022cb111b18df51f48.jpeg

The museum was free as well but a wee donation wouldn’t go amiss. Same if you go to St Magnus.

Skara Brae is fascinating and well worth the visit too. Takes a good couple hours to get round it all especially if you take in Skraill House too. It was free for me with my Historic Scotland membership card, but have to add that it was very nice of the wee auld wumin at reception to admit my colleague as a child and said “If anyone asks he’s your son”. Which would’ve made me a father at 8 year old! 😄

Edited by 8MileBU

The whole Firth of Clyde to Arran is turquoise at the moment and with the weather holding it could get even brighter through the week. This was from Dunagoil on Bute today. 
First visit to Helmi's in Rothesay for a Syrian breakfast as well, very much a holiday vibe today. 
IMG_20210628_151339.thumb.jpg.62504d48f9493621481fd763851faaea.jpg
Sea has been that colour off the Ayrshire coast for weeks likewise Kintyre last weekend. An unusual although harmless algae bloom apparently behind it.

Couldn't get over to Arran as planned on Wednesday as they're serious about this pre-booking ferries pish - get capacity restrictions due to 'social distancing' on an open fucking boat launched into the sun - but the view of it from Skipness was sublime. 

IMG_20210701_173718.thumb.jpg.2a4e71f93db26bf5fb9520c581ea98de.jpg

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

Couldn't get over to Arran as planned on Wednesday as they're serious about this pre-booking ferries pish - get capacity restrictions due to 'social distancing' on an open fucking boat launched into the sun - but the view of it from Skipness was sublime. 

Was that the Claonaig -Lochranza route you tried to get on? 

When I looked at the website it stated turn up and go

Ardrossan-Brodick; for all the extra effort to get to Claonaig, I was as well just exploring north Kintyre while already there instead. 

Will probably use Skipness as a base and the Lochranza ferry as a daytrip in the future though. 

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ardrossan-Brodick; for all the extra effort to get to Claonaig, I was as well just exploring north Kintyre while already there instead. 

Will probably use Skipness as a base and the Lochranza ferry as a daytrip in the future though. 

Ah cheers. Thought my meticulous planning was about to be thrown into disarray 😄

Did you try the Seafood shack ?

Yep, great produce as you'd expect but the relaxed, completely unfussy handling of it was a bonus. Well stocked with Arran red squirrel which is hard to come by, as well as the ubiquitous blonde. 

1 hour ago, ArmadaleKillie said:

2nd day in Shetland and I have now visited Mainland, Yell, Fetlar and Muckle Roe. May need to slow down a bit but trying to use the nice weather.

FB_IMG_1625428751658.jpg

FB_IMG_1625428682772.jpg

FB_IMG_1625428652184.jpg

Photo_6553675_DJI_75_jpg_4306553_0_202174115014_photo_original.jpg

FB_IMG_1625428667865.jpg

How are the temperatures up there? I’ve been in Shetland during a supposed European heatwave before and I think it maxed out at 17c one day!

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

How are the temperatures up there? I’ve been in Shetland during a supposed European heatwave before and I think it maxed out at 17c one day!

Balmy 18degrees today... was about 16 yesterday. So yup, glad I brought my jacket!

I had my first visit to the Outer Hebrides and ticked off Lewis and Harris and Great Bernera. 

Bosta on Great Bernera was awesome and pretty much all of Harris is jaw dropping. Lewis was alright as well. The fruit pudding is better than the black pudding and I've never seen ma niece as happy as she was in a big playground in Ness. 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Pictures must be mainly Fetlar as I have no idea where that tower would be on the other islands mentioned.

Only the first was on Mainland (Culswick Broch). Rest were all Fetlar.