Scottish Islands

8MileBU

Far worse places than Rothesay across Scotland more broadly. Apparently home to some glorious Middle Eastern and French patisserie as well thanks to the local Syrian community, though I'm always too stuffed from the breakfast rolls at Wemyss Bay to confirm. Hopefully the pandemic hasn't killed off the new development that Bute Brewing Co. and other recent start-ups were planning to use though, as the town could definitely do with kickstarting more contemporary attractions. 

Port Bannatyne is wealthy and nice to look at but losing all three village pubs and any focus of the community in the past decade is a grimmer outcome than living in one of the Rothesay favelas IMO. 

Edited by vikingTON

West Island Way completed. An absolute beast of a day. 50,000 steps, whatever that is in real money.

Far far too hot and consequently as I'm limping into Port Bannatyne now my water has ran out about two hours ago. And that was me trying to ration it. My tongue is stuck to my skull.

All my bones are sore and my shoulder for some reason is clicking loudly in time to my stride. My eyes are stinging from sun cream running into them as I've sweated my way around Bute.

There will be bugger all shops open here to buy a drink and I've missed the last bus to Rothesay by an hour.

^^^ Verge of actual tears.

With time, I will think of this as a fun experience, but were I to have my time again, I would just do the Southern loop again instead of that tortuous Northern loop.
IMG_20210613_145534.jpegIMG_20210613_172416.jpegIMG_20210613_123559.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Kerrera today. If you want to know the exact distance a seven year old can walk before having a full meltdown, it's about 200 yards short of the return journey to Gylen Castle. Full tantrum ensued.

Fortunately the RNLI speeding past to recover a sailboat which had biffed some rocks enlivened matters and the tantruum was abated.

Top tip from today would be get the 8:45 ferry, which we had to ourselves, as the next ferry at 10:35, and those coming after, brought waves of people. The time we had the island to ourselves was superb.

IMG_20210626_103201.jpegIMG_20210626_141319.jpegIMG_20210626_084131.jpeg

Few days in Oban booked in August was thinking of heading to Lismore for a few hours to see the lay of the land, mainly to check out Coeffin Castle

Any recommendations for things worth looking out for?

Going to Luing and Easdale as well followed by a couple of nights on Arran, hoping that I don't get TOO drunk at the distillery :)

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Kerrera today. If you want to know the exact distance a seven year old can walk before having a full meltdown, it's about 200 yards short of the return journey to Gylen Castle. Full tantrum ensued.

Fortunately the RNLI speeding past to recover a sailboat which had biffed some rocks enlivened matters and the tantruum was abated.

Top tip from today would be get the 8:45 ferry, which we had to ourselves, as the next ferry at 10:35, and those coming after, brought waves of people. The time we had the island to ourselves was superb.

I had that exact same tantrum when I was there. I was on my own though 🤣

Cracking loop that southern end. Like you I was in heaven with the peace and quiet. Other than the postie on her quad bike I think I passed two people towards the jetty on the last leg

Few days in Oban booked in August was thinking of heading to Lismore for a few hours to see the lay of the land, mainly to check out Coeffin Castle
Going to Luing and Easdale as well followed by a couple of nights on Arran, hoping that I don't get TOO drunk at the distillery [emoji4]

I had that exact same tantrum when I was there. I was on my own though [emoji1787]
Cracking loop that southern end. Like you I was in heaven with the peace and quiet. Other than the postie on her quad bike I think I passed two people towards the jetty on the last leg

First day up Oban way today in a good while, no new recommendations as such. I notice a new place (The View), where they've built a nice looking terrace overlooking the bay. It used to be the horrible Skippinish Ceilidh House. Haven't been in yet.

Otherwise it has only been a case so far of visiting Kerrera and Ganavan, then getting a nice chippy from George Street Fish bar.

Lunch was from the seafood hut at the ferry terminal. They had the admirable cheek to both say they only took card for £20+ transactions AND sulk and ask if I had anything smaller when I handed over a £20 note to pay for our £14 purchase. First time I've used cash to buy my lunch since Covid, that £20 note has probably been with me since then. They gave me my change in 20 and 50p's. Service has never been their "thing" I suppose.

Over to Mull tomorrow. IMG_20210626_183318.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

First day up Oban way today in a good while, no new recommendations as such. I notice a new place (The View), where they've built a nice looking terrace overlooking the bay. It used to be the horrible Skippinish Ceilidh House. Haven't been in yet.

Otherwise it has only been a case so far of visiting Kerrera and Ganavan, then getting a nice chippy from George Street Fish bar.

Lunch was from the seafood hut at the ferry terminal. They had the admirable cheek to both say they only took card for £20+ transactions AND sulk and ask if I had anything smaller when I handed over a £20 note to pay for our £14 purchase. First time I've used cash to buy my lunch since Covid, that £20 note has probably been with me since then. They gave me my change in 20 and 50p's. Service has never been their "thing" I suppose.

Over to Mull tomorrow. IMG_20210626_183318.jpeg

Service is generally bad in the Highlands and much of rural Scotland. It’s a weird mentality.

On 31/05/2021 at 22:40, Avon Barksdale said:

Going to Arran for the 1st time in July. Genuinely excited.

Arran is just a magnificent place. Where I live I can be at the Ardrossan Ferry in 25 minutes. 
For family reasons we go to Lewis a lot. Have also visited Skye and Harris. 

if anyone wants any info re Lewis just say.

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

:)

If you're interested in Coeffin then I'd take in Tirefour broch on the way: a still remarkably intact Iron Age round building on the east side of the island. Walkhighlands has a guide for the route to Tirefour from the ferry terminal (stay on the right side of the island and you can't go too far wrong). The junction that runs up from Tirefour to the main road/clachan/heritage centre is about 500 yards away from the opposite path going down to Coeffin, so it's not a significant diversion at all. That also gives great views over the Appin mountains before heading over to the Morvern ranges on the other side. 

If you have time then getting the other ferry back from the northern point of Lismore to Port Appin, passing Castle Stalker and then getting the bus from Portnacroish back into Oban is a good bonus as well. 

Going to Luing and Easdale as well followed by a couple of nights on Arran, hoping that I don't get TOO drunk at the distillery

Another great and underused day out from Oban, if the weather is good then the beer garden looking over the sea at Ellenabeich is glorious as well.

Edited by vikingTON

18 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Arran is just a magnificent place. Where I live I can be at the Ardrossan Ferry in 25 minutes. 
For family reasons we go to Lewis a lot. Have also visited Skye and Harris. 

if anyone wants any info re Lewis just say.

Whereabouts in Lewis? my missus is from Uig. Quite a bit on this thread if you dig back for 24 pages. We're off again next Thursday.

Edit - just to add a couple of cheeky pics from our last visit in April/May. The last one is St Kilda from about 50 miles away.

EOSR3366-Pano.thumb.jpg.dc7a37646a0658c1a6f1bfacf517882b.jpg

EOSR3173.thumb.jpg.0c6f780e3700636eecad6b3447c63fbc.jpg

EOSR3418.thumb.jpg.762b3cabb35a6d88e09fec10693795ff.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Whereabouts in Lewis? my missus is from Uig. Quite a bit on this thread if you dig back for 24 pages. We're off again next Thursday.

Edit - just to add a couple of cheeky pics from our last visit in April/May. The last one is St Kilda from about 50 miles away.

EOSR3366-Pano.thumb.jpg.dc7a37646a0658c1a6f1bfacf517882b.jpg

EOSR3173.thumb.jpg.0c6f780e3700636eecad6b3447c63fbc.jpg

My Mrs is front Sandwick. We tend to go all over the place when we are up. Great pics! 👍

The whole Firth of Clyde to Arran is turquoise at the moment and with the weather holding it could get even brighter through the week. This was from Dunagoil on Bute today. 

First visit to Helmi's in Rothesay for a Syrian breakfast as well, very much a holiday vibe today. 

IMG_20210628_151339.jpg

Heading to Orkney for 5 days on Saturday. Will read through the thread later to see if there’s been any suggestions but if anyone’s been I would appreciate recommendations for things to do/visit. I’ve got a plan drawn up but there’s room for more.

I probably can't add much that TripAdvisor won't have as top 10 Orkney sites but Ring of Brodgar, Maes Howe, Skara Brae and Stennes etc all class. When I was there you could a ticket that covered all Historic Scotland sites.

Tomb of the Eagles is a bit of a hike but stunning on a sunny day.

Highland Park tasting tour is the best whisky tasting experience I have done in Scotland. Was about 80 quid but well worth it. You also have Scapa distillery 

We couldn't get to Hoy as ferries were all booked so book in advance if you fancy that.

The beaches are great all over.

I would say the Italian Chapel is skippable. Interesting story but not much to see in and of itself.

Nobody is too cool to get the Twatt photo.

In Kirkwall itself St Magnus Cathedral is well worth an hour or so. We didn't eat out much but Helgis was god for a pint. Skippers and Torvhaug were more for the young team/offshore lads. I like the Auld Motor House too.

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I probably can't add much that TripAdvisor won't have as top 10 Orkney sites but Ring of Brodgar, Maes Howe, Skara Brae and Stennes etc all class. When I was there you could a ticket that covered all Historic Scotland sites.

Tomb of the Eagles is a bit of a hike but stunning on a sunny day.

Highland Park tasting tour is the best whisky tasting experience I have done in Scotland. Was about 80 quid but well worth it. You also have Scapa distillery 

We couldn't get to Hoy as ferries were all booked so book in advance if you fancy that.

The beaches are great all over.

I would say the Italian Chapel is skippable. Interesting story but not much to see in and of itself.

Nobody is too cool to get the Twatt photo.

In Kirkwall itself St Magnus Cathedral is well worth an hour or so. We didn't eat out much but Helgis was god for a pint. Skippers and Torvhaug were more for the young team/offshore lads. I like the Auld Motor House too.

Brilliant, cheers. Brodgar,  Skara Brae, St Magnus are already on the list. Hoy is as well, I'm a bit wary of ferry spots so will need to get that booked as I want to spend the day there.

Definitely doing the HP tour, I was thinking just the standard one for £30 quid which includes 3 drams. The next one up is £60 per head, the gf will not be up for paying that as she doesn't like whisky.

Not arsed for the chapel but the gf wants to see it. Going to get a nice meal out one night as well so will trip advise that for ideas.

Orkney is fantastic. Absolutely love the place.

Depending on tide times it's worth getting out to the Brough of Birsay if you can. Some stunning sunsets on Orkney as well so be sure to head out for a wander in the evening to catch some of them. The view from Yesnaby is wonderful.

For food I recommend The Foveran just outside of Kirkwall.

Edited by RiG

On 27/06/2021 at 14:03, The Mantis said:

The last one is St Kilda from about 50 miles away.

This photo angle is bamboozling me. I'm trying to imagine you taking the photo from Lewis and I cannot get my head round this. From left to right: Hirta, (wtf is that island?), Boreray, Stac an Armin? I'm on St. Kilda right now, I've been looking out the window trying to figure this out 😆

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

Orkney is fantastic. Absolutely love the place.

Depending on tide times it's worth getting out to the Brough of Birsay if you can. Some stunning sunsets on Orkney as well so be sure to head out for a wander in the evening to catch some of them. 

Yes, this is on the list. Plan is to go there for sunset on Saturday - low tide is at 2348 so fingers crossed I can just about walk over the causeway just in time for sunset at 2220 so I can photograph some puffins. Ring of Brodgar for sunset another night as well.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Brilliant, cheers. Brodgar,  Skara Brae, St Magnus are already on the list. Hoy is as well, I'm a bit wary of ferry spots so will need to get that booked as I want to spend the day there.

Definitely doing the HP tour, I was thinking just the standard one for £30 quid which includes 3 drams. The next one up is £60 per head, the gf will not be up for paying that as she doesn't like whisky.

Not arsed for the chapel but the gf wants to see it. Going to get a nice meal out one night as well so will trip advise that for ideas.

I sent the missus jumper shopping whilst I I hoofed. The 3 dram one will be fine as its a really unique distillery just to see too. If you get the old boy you will get more than 3.