Scottish Islands

8MileBU

Ultimately a rapidly filling bookings calendar for the property I go to vs. fixed school holidays didn't leave me with any option other than to rebook my week for 2022.

I'll get a trip over in 2021 at some point, but it will be a long weekend in the Machrie Hotel most likely as opposed to a long spell in a cottage on a beach.

I would do two nights on Rum and Eigg and patch at least one of the others. Unless the timetable has changed, you can cruise around all four islands on the Saturday anyway, stay on Rum and there's a boat to Eigg on the Monday. I think you can do three-four hour stopover on Canna on a Wednesday but not sure if it's from Eigg or Rum. 

Edited by vikingTON

Aye I saw the wee tour, nearly done it last year on a whim, but I'd want to be having a night on each island even if it is just a box ticking exercise. Canna and Rum are the two I fancy most this time round so might just lump with hitting two of them and doing the other two another time

Went to Rum with the mates in 92. Been looking at it again with a view to taking the missus.
Looks a bigger choice of accommodation now. When we went, firstly you needed permission off the Nature Conservancy Council to actually stay. At that time you could stay in the upmarket NCC bothies in Kinloch, or the hostel wing at the castle, or the posh bit in the castle. Also a couple of MBA bothies at Dibidil and Guirdil. Not sure of camping was allowed.
The deer research area north of Kinloch was closed (this was before the right to roam). There was an old phone box with button A and B and I tried to call Edinburgh and get the operator to reverse the charges as I had no change.

The Calmac boat was the Lochmor which was passengers only, and there was a flit boat which came out to meet you, as there wasn't a proper pier. We came back out on a Saturday. The conditions were bad, so they got us and the Eigg folk out, but at Muck they had to turn the flit boat away, so they were stuck there till Monday, and if they were anything like us, they had scoffed all their food and drink the night before 😂

On 25/02/2021 at 09:21, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Anyone ever had a wee tour of the Small Isles? Covid allowing we'd be looking to hit Canna, Rum, Eigg and Muck with at least one night on each over the course of a week but it doesn't look entirely possible according to the ferry timetable. 

When you get to Rum vist Kinloch Castle and take the tour, stories of sado masochism and hints of male only orgies in the ballroom by the SNH guide when we went.

We were surprised to see a full 1940's dental surgery in the castle and thought it a bit odd as only the Bullough family with a few servants used the castle in the summer. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

• 2 months later...

Heading up through the Hebridean Sea at the end of July, North/South Uist & Lewis on the outward journey to the Orkneys and then Shetland. Return on the same route but visiting the inner Hebrides heading South. Skye, Rum, Staffa & Iona.
Very much looking forward to it, particularly the trip up to the Shetland Islands.

• 3 weeks later...

The number of people who traipse down to the Kerrera ferry from two miles outside Oban when you can cruise to Lismore straight from the harbour instead is mind-boggling. Excellent food at the heritage centre thing in the middle of the island as well. 

A glorious day spent on the Isle of Bute yesterday: this is the vitrified fort at Dunnagoil bay (same root as 'Donegal'):

IMG_20210530_145625.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

Dunnagoil Bay: 

IMG_20210530_145556.thumb.jpg.2f7b5521c1b98e6bbeb92007244d9cc9.jpg

Sadly a couple of the island's pubs have suffered independent of the pandemic. Port Bannatyne now has no village pub (some shan bistro instead) and the Kingarth Hotel/bar on the south end has been closed since a family member died in the autumn. Couldn't see any sign of the new facility in Rothesay being planned for Bute Brewing and a bunch of other enterprises to run from, but the Taverna and other bins have invested in the al fresco, cafe culture experience you'd expect from Rothesay.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

The number of people who traipse down to the Kerrera ferry when you can cruise to Lismore instead is mind-boggling. Excellent food at the heritage centre thing in the middle of the island as well. 

Yup, went for a cake and beer at the heritage centre! Cooked food looked great.

FB_IMG_1622487962610.jpg

Been a while since I've posted in my favourite thread. Managed to get to few islands during the breaks in lockdowns last year.

Most pleasing was Raasay which I'd been meaning to go to every time i've been on Skye, and i don't think has had a mention in the thread yet.

Fantastic place with stunning views of the Skye mountains. Had a long conversation with the woman at the distillery who was an expert on local history and the whisky. But the best was saved to last when you come to Brochel Castle.

Definitely worth a trip on the ferry if you're in the area

_DSC3922.thumb.jpg.3a0c7df7bac6cc978939f8e17d528e2d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Bute this weekend to walk the West Island Way.

Took an overnight stop in Greenock and walked the Greenock Cut, which I must say is not too shabby.

Have bookings now to visit Bute, Mull, Coll, Tiree, Islay and Lewis by next summer. I should get a loyalty card from Calmac. IMG_20210611_180619.jpegIMG_20210611_172958.jpegIMG_20210611_205139.jpeg

On 11/06/2021 at 22:28, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Have bookings now to visit Bute, Mull, Coll, Tiree, Islay and Lewis by next summer. I should get a loyalty card from Calmac. 

Coll and Tiree are fantastic islands to visit.  

The beaches are superb on both islands.  Our favourite was one quite near the RSPB site on Coll - can't remember the name it. 

We're hoping to go back to Tiree sometime in the future for a longer period. 

Edited by paul wright scores
Spelling

Day 1 of the West Island Way done. Superb day of walking.

Big circular loop starting from Kilchattan Bay round the Southern end of the island passing St Blane's, through the beach at Stravanan Bay then up an old charabanc track (charabanc, really!) through the middle of the island and down into Rothesay.

Currently sitting in the Galatea Bar nursing a very welcome pint of T, and feeling the stiffness that comes after walking for 7 hours.

Heading back to the digs shortly to collapse into a very deep sleep.
IMG_20210612_153911.jpegIMG_20210612_174334.jpegIMG_20210612_083403.jpeg

If you see this before doing the North half tomorrow, I'd highly recommend taking an anticlockwise route from Port Bannatyne: going up to Rhubodach first, then looping back via Ettrick Bay in the afternoon. 

It'll be much easier and comfortable to do the short but steep climb onto the moorland in the morning, while a pit stop at Ettrick Bay and the tram route across the island is as easy a finish as you could ask for.

Edited by vikingTON

If you see this before doing the North half tomorrow, I'd highly recommend taking an anticlockwise route from Port Bannatyne: going up to Rhubodach first, then looping back via Ettrick Bay in the afternoon. 
It'll be much easier and comfortable to do the short but steep climb onto the moorland in the morning, while a pit stop at Ettrick Bay and the tram route across the island is as easy a finish as you could ask for.
Cheers! Looking forward to getting up to the top, never been further north than Rothesay.