Scottish Islands

8MileBU

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Cool. My wee lassie would love that. What’s it got inside it and how much per night/week etc, if you don’t mind me asking?

This is the picture I took. There is a double futon you can see and a table with dishes and such on it.

Shower/toilet is a walk across yard to back of the shop with an outdoor sink there as well.

Fridge is in outdoor barn as there is no electric in the yurt.

It was £93 a night for us.. kids loved the adventure but we had gale force winds so.it was noisy!

FB_IMG_1559655970566.jpg

Edited by ArmadaleKillie

Man those islands of the Outer Hebrides are immense. Think I was on 13 of them (Lewis, Harris, Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Scalpay, Great Bernera, Grimsay, Baleshare, Flodda,) The weather wasn't great (putting it mildly) but when the sun did come out it was a sight to behold. Even when the sun wasn't out it was something special, particularly at the Butt of Lewis in a gale that blew your bollocks off. Callanish was an impressive sight...shame about the four busloads of tourists though, and the Blackhouse at Arnol was an amazing insight into how the islanders used to live.  Madness it was only the sixties that they moved the inhabitants out of them. It's been mentioned on here about the roughness of the terrain in some of the places and it isn't half bleak. Seeing the plane land on the beach was something, particularly how strong the wind was that day won't be forgotten, but you had to feel the tourist tat that they were trying to sell on the back of it, in the airport was a bit OTT. Never got to St Kilda, but I doubt the boats would have went anyway in the weather. I was told  the Army were training there anyway, so I doubt it would have had the same impact, so probably dodged a bullet. Managed to create havoc however when I asked for a roll and slice at Horgabost. A debate followed :lol:

Bit disappointed I didn't see all of the islands in their full glory as you could tell that it would be something special to see them, but what I did see in their full glory it's amazing

35.thumb.jpg.a4a3f5fdb8333abc1d5cdf4f2c839be3.jpg54.thumb.jpg.8e299a410898e10c9723fe9e335b520a.jpg55.thumb.jpg.6981c17e9f6fe14791b8f6f601466ddc.jpg63.thumb.jpg.b496dd73282c80c1f961ee3aba9e7c6c.jpg64.thumb.jpg.e51d3af7896414dd3ce0280f7b805164.jpg67.thumb.jpg.5e02c72ff22d703a950eec6498f9027f.jpg33.thumb.jpg.b467b7a5a0f5d508592e9324d61a40f2.jpg

Man those islands of the Outer Hebrides are immense. Think I was on 13 of them (Lewis, Harris, Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Scalpay, Great Bernera, Grimsay, Baleshare, Flodda,) The weather wasn't great (putting it mildly) but when the sun did come out it was a sight to behold. Even when the sun wasn't out it was something special, particularly at the Butt of Lewis in a gale that blew your bollocks off. Callanish was an impressive sight...shame about the four busloads of tourists though, and the Blackhouse at Arnol was an amazing insight into how the islanders used to live.  Madness it was only the sixties that they moved the inhabitants out of them. It's been mentioned on here about the roughness of the terrain in some of the places and it isn't half bleak. Seeing the plane land on the beach was something, particularly how strong the wind was that day won't be forgotten, but you had to feel the tourist tat that they were trying to sell on the back of it, in the airport was a bit OTT. Never got to St Kilda, but I doubt the boats would have went anyway in the weather. I was told  the Army were training there anyway, so I doubt it would have had the same impact, so probably dodged a bullet. Managed to create havoc however when I asked for a roll and slice at Horgabost. A debate followed :lol:
Bit disappointed I didn't see all of the islands in their full glory as you could tell that it would be something special to see them, but what I did see in their full glory it's amazing
35.thumb.jpg.a4a3f5fdb8333abc1d5cdf4f2c839be3.jpg54.thumb.jpg.8e299a410898e10c9723fe9e335b520a.jpg55.thumb.jpg.6981c17e9f6fe14791b8f6f601466ddc.jpg63.thumb.jpg.b496dd73282c80c1f961ee3aba9e7c6c.jpg64.thumb.jpg.e51d3af7896414dd3ce0280f7b805164.jpg67.thumb.jpg.5e02c72ff22d703a950eec6498f9027f.jpg33.thumb.jpg.b467b7a5a0f5d508592e9324d61a40f2.jpg

Brilliant pics and sounds an immense trip.

19 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

You did well enough judging by those pics. You even made it to Mangurstadh, most people on limited time don't make it to Uig at all. Cradhlastadh (Crowlista) is the village I go to. Best go to Calanais at night though after the tourists have gone. It is possible to get it to yourself.

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

You did well enough judging by those pics. You even made it to Mangurstadh, most people on limited time don't make it to Uig at all. Cradhlastadh (Crowlista) is the village I go to. Best go to Calanais at night though after the tourists have gone. It is possible to get it to yourself.

It was more a case of dodging the showers. Think I had two periods of prolonged sunshine.

Mangurstadh was a phenomenal sight. Although this poor wee sheep may not agree after getting stuck half way up the cliffs. The grass is always greener :lol:

5cfbf31588834__DSC6635(2).thumb.jpg.9d7859652973cfd248dffb6a2b7a9a73.jpg

Just back from a week in Lewis. I know Harris gets all the plaudits for beaches, and Luskentyre probably is still the best, but, Valtos, Reef, Brenish etc are pretty well up there.

We stayed in Ness to loads of great cliff walks around the lighthouse and then along the coast to Tolsta including seeing a pair of golden eagles.

Went into it wondering if a week was too long just in Lewis but ended up being nowhere near enough when you have the weather to go on decent length walks each day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off to Mull on Monday for three nights. I've two full days there and I'm planning to climb Ben More one day and a trip to Iona on the other. Will that fill both days and if not, what other things do the p&b brethren recommend I should do?

13 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm off to Mull on Monday for three nights. I've two full days there and I'm planning to climb Ben More one day and a trip to Iona on the other. Will that fill both days and if not, what other things do the p&b brethren recommend I should do?

Haven't been since July 1989 and I hear it's hootching with tourists these days. Camping at Craignure with a car, and wife and 2 young kids. I climbed Ben More after tea one  night, after most of the tourists had gone, wearing shorts and a t-shirt and had a dip in a pool by the roadside. It was so good I went in again after I had dried off and dressed 😂

Went to Staffa one morning and carried on to Iona later the same day, even though there's a fair bit of driving involved.

I’d say that’ll keep you fairly busy but the best thing to do is just adopt the typical islander mentality and take it as it comes.

I’d say that’ll keep you fairly busy but the best thing to do is just adopt the typical islander mentality and take it as it comes.
I can do that. I lived in Arran for nine years so I'm well used to that!

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:51, microdave said:

A fish supper from the van at Tobermory, or lunch at the Boathouse on Ulva and Calgary Bay if you have time. Wonderful beach.

Get yourself out to Staffa to see the rock columns and the puffins [emoji106]

20190629_145545.jpgIMG_20190511_213110_425.jpg

9 hours ago, mynameisearl said:

Get yourself out to Staffa to see the rock columns and the puffins emoji106.png

When I was around seven we had a holiday in Mull for a few days, and can remember going to Staffa. On the boat across the guy had mentioned you may see a Whale. As we were going across, I saw something come out the water and screamed whale. All these American tourists ran from one side of the boat to the other, which nearly caused the bugger to capsize. Anyway, it just turned out to be a well positioned rock, and my Mum still gives me pelters about it. Staffa was incredible though, even at that age I can remember being so impressed by the rock columns as you mentioned. 

Really keen to go back to Mull, have recently been doing my Dad's family tree, and found that we owned a farm (Lephin) at one time, it now looks like it has been made into holiday homes, so would like to stay there for one evening. 

15 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Got the very wee ferry from Cromarty on the Black Isle to Nigg this week. It's an island of the mind.

A must visit if you like staring at oil rigs and cruise ships.

Very very nice coffee indeed at the coffee shop on the ferry slipway in Cromarty. IMG_20190703_111319.jpgIMG_20190703_100727.jpgIMG_20190703_100025.jpg

Spent a week in Portmahomack last October but sadly it was closed for winter (the ferry I mean, but pretty much Portmahomack too). Saw where Uncle Roy MacGregor leaves most of his big heavy things, and I don't mean Ross Draper.

A few pics from my week on Barra.

First up is an empty beach in Vatersay.

FB_IMG_1562334183004.jpg.50e7a5a6ded65dcbe3ae509bf2b97c5e.jpg

Next up is the view Westwards from the Tidal Island of Orasaigh which is next to the Barra airport beach.

FB_IMG_1562334217805.jpg.83ad32f1032945ee01d8d07b372cfe94.jpg

I climbed onto Halaman Skerry in Halaman Bay to get the next picture. I did get a bit wet even at low tide.

FB_IMG_1562334259917.jpg.f8b21a44b5ae3c6554778635f2307113.jpg

We also got the boat to Mingulay to see the cliffs and abandoned village.

FB_IMG_1562334337327.jpg.3c47e7b12f6a7426718b18fd35850132.jpgFB_IMG_1562334570008.jpg.6ea86a2c9f83a275d9d5e5e5a85b8db2.jpg

Finally we have the obligatory image of Kisimul Castle!

FB_IMG_1562334309740.jpg.981611113bb2650b4cb6bcdf498e5995.jpg

Got the very wee ferry from Cromarty on the Black Isle to Nigg this week. It's an island of the mind.

A must visit if you like staring at oil rigs and cruise ships.

Very very nice coffee indeed at the coffee shop on the ferry slipway in Cromarty. IMG_20190703_111319.jpg.5069b5c297135554fa8891eac6f0e142.jpgIMG_20190703_100727.jpg.1b3e14f5fdedba7458d76de097b39e5c.jpgIMG_20190703_100025.jpg.51295bd15197c715234aad6322b78685.jpg
Being meaning to do this. I enjoy staring at rusty hulks like most people, but is there anything like a pub or cafe on the Nigg side if you're on foot?