Scottish Islands

8MileBU

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Do you enjoy Gigha? Gigha is the least interesting island I’ve been to. From what I recall there was very little to do there, it was more of a tick box exercise.

I’d been before so it was just to let the missus tick it off her bucket list. Buzzed up and down on our bikes and had a few drinkies in the hotel. Food was great. Mrs Mantis wanted to visit Achamore Gardens too, but you’re right, not much else.

A bit of a contrast from 96 though. I stayed at the b&b above the P.O. run by the McSporrans. McSporran was on the tv back then as he had so many different hats/jobs. The community bought the island and seem to have improved it.

Any further tips on what to do and where to visit on the Small Isles would be appreciated, as I've just won a couple of free ferry tickets to head over there. 

Rum would be my starting point.

http://www.isleofrum.com/thingstodo.php

Eigg and Muck are worth just cycling/walking/climbing and taking it all in. The Cathedral Cave and Massacre Cave on Eigg are worth a look. Cathedral one can only be accessed when the tide is out though.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been to the abandoned crofting village on Vatersay, Eorasdail  (spelling?)

What's the walk like? It's not a long or hilly walk, more concerned about getting caught out in the middle of bogs and wading through burns. Been caught out with things like that before.

30 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Anyone been to the abandoned crofting village on Vatersay, Eorasdail  (spelling?)

What's the walk like? It's not a long or hilly walk, more concerned about getting caught out in the middle of bogs and wading through burns. Been caught out with things like that before.

Just so happens we’re flying off to Barra for a couple of days on Sunday. As usual, I’ve been before but the wife wants to go. Probably get the bus to Vatersay and walk back so I’ll let you know. Never heard of it although the Highlands are full of deserted villages, anything special about this one?

Edit - I see why it’s a bit different - only dates from about 1910.

Edited by The Mantis

11 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Just so happens we’re flying off to Barra for a couple of days on Sunday. As usual, I’ve been before but the wife wants to go. Probably get the bus to Vatersay and walk back so I’ll let you know. Never heard of it although the Highlands are full of deserted villages, anything special about this one?

Don't think there's an awful lot to it, although there are a couple of nice looking wee beaches close by.

Apparently it was where the some of the Mingulay residents settled when that Island was abandoned. The village itself was abandoned in the 1970's

fgfr.jpg.f1f697c888593fa40dedabe340df9703.jpg

Enjoy Barra. I can't wait to get there. Three weeks and counting

Edited by I'm Brian

6 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Don't think there's an awful lot to it, although there are a couple of nice looking wee beaches close by.

Apparently it was where the some of the Mingulay residents settled when that Island was abandoned. The village itself was abandoned in the 1970's

Cheers. I think your post overlapped with my edit. I’ll see how boggy it is from Vatersay village :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2019 at 08:56, I'm Brian said:

Just back on Tuesday. Spent Sunday and Monday nights there. One of those weekends when you realise how stunning Scotland can be if you get the weather. Both flights were superb as you could pick out all the landmarks.

Taxi down the west side (no bus on Sundays). Castle Bay Bar was jumping Sunday night with the Vatersay Boys.

Monday we got the bus to Vatersay, visited Eorasdail then walked back to Castlebay. Saw an otter but never got the camera out quick enough.

Tuesday, airport bus up the east side. Had a good B&B at Tigh na Mara (Linda Maclean) overlooking the ferry. Cafe Kisimul does a really good curry but book in advance. Hope you get it even half as good.

IMG_4679.thumb.jpg.1a5e4baae4cd42a49bf3740f0d48ea82.jpgP1040527.jpg.e54ff3c1e69eaa8312fb31f89f69e015.jpgP1040528.jpg.f521039dc0997ed47d53d1a6e5e239b5.jpgP1040535.jpg.43689df53759b85c5ccc1b0c080063af.jpgP1040508.jpg.e96cbc43b506501356651cc5bbc3b441.jpgP1040546.jpg.ad6b0fda710cc1cb11acc2022d2dbd65.jpgJB7D4079.jpg.6e0b55a4fb16d2a4b3bc99228acb6159.jpgJB7D4070.jpg.dc939bbeb75b5a1066cc872566c5b38a.jpg

On 07/05/2019 at 08:17, I'm Brian said:

Forgot about this bit. The ground was very dry and you could have done it in flip flops :lol:

in any case it’s sandy machair type terrain so unlikely to get boggy even after rain. Very pleasant walking. Just as you arrive at Eorasdail you have to jump a sort of dryish burn. They’d have a problem getting fresh water some of the time if you ask me.

Edited by The Mantis

Looks awesome. You certainly got the weather for it.  If it's half as good as that when I go I'll be delighted. If it wasn't for my bloody football team I'd have been there already!!

Quick question on the airport. Is that the spot to be for the take off/landing. You really can't go to Barra and not witness the uniqueness of it.

2 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Looks awesome. You certainly got the weather for it.  If it's half as good as that when I go I'll be delighted. If it wasn't for my bloody football team I'd have been there already!!

Quick question on the airport. Is that the spot to be for the take off/landing. You really can't go to Barra and not witness the uniqueness of it.

I’m assuming you want photos. There’s a fence which keeps the beach out of bounds when it’s active, although if you’re using better than a phone camera you’ll be fine. I noticed how the plane approaches over the airport buildings assuming a westerly breeze, there’s an airsock at each end of the beach.

The photo with the buildings in was taken with a wee LUMIX compact, quite a wide angle. The other two were taken with my 400mm Canon prime lens, which was all I had with me in case I saw any wildlife. Really needed my 70-300 instead.

On take-off, if I was going back again  I would stand a couple of hundred yards past the airport as it taxis right up to the road before turning. If you want it leaving the ground then get yourself a passing place before the airport and it’ll take off right towards you.

on Tuesday there was an 1150 and a 1320 so you can get two shots at it. One plane on a Sunday I think. Both planes are Twin Otters, one with the saltire and one with tartan.

5 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I’m assuming you want photos. There’s a fence which keeps the beach out of bounds when it’s active, although if you’re using better than a phone camera you’ll be fine. I noticed how the plane approaches over the airport buildings assuming a westerly breeze, there’s an airsock at each end of the beach.

The photo with the buildings in was taken with a wee LUMIX compact, quite a wide angle. The other two were taken with my 400mm Canon prime lens, which was all I had with me in case I saw any wildlife. Really needed my 70-300 instead.

On take-off, if I was going back again  I would stand a couple of hundred yards past the airport as it taxis right up to the road before turning. If you want it leaving the ground then get yourself a passing place before the airport and it’ll take off right towards you.

on Tuesday there was an 1150 and a 1320 so you can get two shots at it. One plane on a Sunday I think. Both planes are Twin Otters, one with the saltire and one with tartan.

Cheers for that.  Aye for the camera. It'll be a Thursday so I'll get the two chances at it.

• 3 weeks later...