Scottish Islands

8MileBU

Gigha's shite

[emoji1]

It totally is! 5 hours there maximum and make sure it’s hot and sunny.

I did Islay and Jura over 4 days, but no whisky tours. Did it end of April start of May and was quiet. Loved every second of it, but avoid Port Askaig Hotel. It's a throwback to the sixties.

Islay is by some way my favourite island I've been to. 

Skye is a wonderful place but don't do it at peak times. It is heaving and can spoil the ambience

I looked at nipping over to Knoydart from Mallaig. £20 each way put me off a bit. I will do it one day though

I’ll second avoiding the Port Askaig Hotel! [emoji51]

The Islay Hotel down at Port Ellen is probably the best hotel on the island. Certainly of the ones I’ve stayed at. The most expensive too though so worth getting booked up ASAP.

The Machrie on Islay is the new sheriff in town as far as hotels go: https://www.campbellgrayhotels.com/machrie-islay-scotland/rooms-suites/

Port Askaig hotel is not the best admittedly, but the bar can be ok at times - very good whisky selection. Sat out in the beer garden looking over to Jura and watching the ferries coming and going isn't such a bad way to pass some time.

Had a brief one day visit to Islay again in September. Only took one photo as I’ve seen it all before so couldn’t be arses driving about, plus the weather on the day eventually turned into Storm Ali. Luckily got the last evening ferry back to Kennacraig before the weather went mental. Here’s the Paps of Jura from Keills on the road up to Port Askaig:

IMG_7296.jpg

Also had a brief one day visit to Lewis & Harris back in October.

Unfortunately didn’t have much time to really explore and properly see the place as was working all over the island so much of what I seen was whilst driving. Would love to go back though.

These are about the best photos I got:

IMG_7425.jpg
IMG_7426.jpg

6 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The Machrie on Islay is the new sheriff in town as far as hotels go: https://www.campbellgrayhotels.com/machrie-islay-scotland/rooms-suites/

Port Askaig hotel is not the best admittedly, but the bar can be ok at times - very good whisky selection. Sat out in the beer garden looking over to Jura and watching the ferries coming and going isn't such a bad way to pass some time.

The views are tremendous. I'll give you that.

I would go as far to say it's one of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful spots I've had the fortune to visit. A wee beer in the beer garden on a sunny day and it would be heaven

The bar does the full range of Islay Ales as well, which were tremendous. I was disappointed to learn that they are rarer than hen's teeth on the mainland, although they do mail order

5c380b89629a4_0304-05-2018-014.thumb.jpg.967b92a94c383699fdc7c9bd81e6689f.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:27, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This was taken from my Calmac ferry as I very reluctantly left Islay in December. Heading back over for Easter.

Also a view from more or less the beer garden of the infamous Port Askaig hotel. 20181208_093038.jpg

That white van obviously loves it there

02-04-2018-479.thumb.jpg.a5f83326f1c2e8fab6970e64d286c6cc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Driving from Edinburgh to Glencoe tomorrow, planning to stop somewhere en route for lunch. Anyone got any recommendations of decent places to eat on that route?
Mhor Cafe in Callander is good for breakfast and coffee. Great pies too.

Ben Cruachan Inn in Lochawe is great for lunch, just a touch off the A82 mind!

Some people like Real Food in Tyndrum. I'm not one of them.

19 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Aye, started to believe its own hype and put the prices up (even) higher.

Driving from Edinburgh to Glencoe tomorrow, planning to stop somewhere en route for lunch. Anyone got any recommendations of decent places to eat on that route?

Mhor 84 out at Balquhidder is good. Had breakfast there a few times. Also handy those odd times when despite it pissing rain sideways, Callander is having one of its busy mornings. Thinking of there makes me miss my old job when I was through that way every day.

I will second the shouts of disdain for The Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum too. Overpriced average food, zero character and seats usually ringing wet from the biker or goretex clad hillwalker that came in out of the rain before you.

If he’s going to Glencoe from Edinburgh and gets to Loch Awe, then I think he’ll have missed a right turn at Crianlarich about 35 miles back up the road!

If he’s going to Glencoe from Edinburgh and gets to Loch Awe, then I think he’ll have missed a right turn at Crianlarich about 35 miles back up the road!
That's the kind of detour I pull when I'm up there! I love that stretch of road. Only 15 miles from Tyndrum, it's not such a bad detour.

Good shout for Mhor 84, I forgot about that.

15 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Mhor 84 out at Balquhidder is good. Had breakfast there a few times. Also handy those odd times when despite it pissing rain sideways, Callander is having one of its busy mornings. Thinking of there makes me miss my old job when I was through that way every day.

I will second the shouts of disdain for The Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum too. Overpriced average food, zero character and seats usually ringing wet from the biker or goretex clad hillwalker that came in out of the rain before you.

Mhor 84 was very enjoyable. Good shout, cheers!

2 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:
On 29/01/2019 at 08:04, Honest_Man#1 said:

Scottish mainland thread for this pish

I’ll be honest I thought this was a ‘Scottish Highlands and Islands’ thread and have only realised it is solely islands. Going on to Skye after Glencoe so staying relevant.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ll be honest I thought this was a ‘Scottish Highlands and Islands’ thread and have only realised it is solely islands. Going on to Skye after Glencoe so staying relevant.

No need to change your plans to keep @Arabdownunder happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Off up to Ullapool Thurs night for the Fri morning sailing to Lewis. Going to a couple of things at the Dark Skies Festival. Have to be back Tuesday night as we have family stuff on Weds. They’ve been having  some great weather and snow too but we’ll probably get the usual pish.

• 1 month later...

Took the missus to Campbeltown and then over to Gigha for a couple of nights. From Campbeltown, walked over to Davaar Island which is tidal. Davaar has a cave painting of the crucifixion which dates from 1887. I was there in 1996 on a cycling trip, since when the painting has been vandalised into a likeness of Che Guevara and restored to the big man JC once again :lol: 

Had to fit it in with the tides so we then had some quick scran then tried to make Mull of Kintyre for photos before dark. But failed. It's 15 miles from Campbeltown but takes over half an hour due to the poor state of the roads, so pitch dark when we arrived. Saw the light over at Rathlin Island in Norn Iron though. And some red deer.

Stayed at Gigha Hotel on a Wowcher deal. The hotel is now owned by the community so has an obese English bloke as manager, who needs to look up from his computer occasionally and get some exercise before he pegs oot. The excellent staff were all Lithuanian.

4406.jpg.148032ee9b88a5a2b7ee52c3c0fd7a03.jpg

1040461.jpg.b02c8b99b74231f74e852630f940ea0b.jpg

1040500.jpg.ddd46edeb97dbc43ec89cb4b9da69511.jpg

Took the missus to Campbeltown and then over to Gigha for a couple of nights. From Campbeltown, walked over to Davaar Island which is tidal. Davaar has a cave painting of the crucifixion which dates from 1887. I was there in 1996 on a cycling trip, since when the painting has been vandalised into a likeness of Che Guevara and restored to the big man JC once again :lol: 
Had to fit it in with the tides so we then had some quick scran then tried to make Mull of Kintyre for photos before dark. But failed. It's 15 miles from Campbeltown but takes over half an hour due to the poor state of the roads, so pitch dark when we arrived. Saw the light over at Rathlin Island in Norn Iron though. And some red deer.
Stayed at Gigha Hotel on a Wowcher deal. The hotel is now owned by the community so has an obese English bloke as manager, who needs to look up from his computer occasionally and get some exercise before he pegs oot. The excellent staff were all Lithuanian.
4406.jpg.148032ee9b88a5a2b7ee52c3c0fd7a03.jpg

1040461.jpg.b02c8b99b74231f74e852630f940ea0b.jpg
1040500.jpg.ddd46edeb97dbc43ec89cb4b9da69511.jpg

Do you enjoy Gigha? Gigha is the least interesting island I’ve been to. From what I recall there was very little to do there, it was more of a tick box exercise.