Scottish Islands

8MileBU

I know it's open season on Calmac right now, but I imagine this will work in tandem with the MV Isle of Mull and will simply replace the MV Coruisk which is a similar size/capacity and cost £6.75M new in 2003.

Nope. I am not joining some Calmac pile-on here. I'm pretty objective about their service. I do use it often enough, seldom with complaint.

I was literally onboard the Coruisk when I took that photo. I can assure you that this new bathtoy is a significant downgrade on the Coruisk in terms of passenger areas.

Here's another image, judge for yourself. Imagine being onboard that with a couple of coachloads of Iona bound pilgrims on a Saturday morning in summer season.

6 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A literal side by side comparison here!

Fairy nuff 🤣
Actually you could have just quoted the lengths - 49M v 65M. That photo just makes me think of Father Ted...

Isle of May tomorrow!

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2022 at 10:48, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

"We go again."

Heading out for my first full week on Lewis & Harris since 2015.

News of Britain's impending heatwave has not reached Ullapool, alas. 1e83094e8431fdd18e93d4bd61daaeec.jpg3038d3a8f6d8929ac1fdb89d9dd8c6e7.jpg

Tough luck with the weather on the crossing.
Choice of 4 games on Monday night...
I'll be up for a week early August. Probably go and watch the Lochies v Carloway.

Tough luck with the weather on the crossing.
Choice of 4 games on Monday night...
I'll be up for a week early August. Probably go and watch the Lochies v Carloway.
I was swithering over going to a game tonight, but the wind has turned into a fully fledged hoolie as the day has progressed and I thought that sitting on my decking with a beer watching the sea battering Pabaigh Mor would prove more entertaining, and so it has been.

Lewis has been pretty spectacular, the main highlight thus far being finding out that one of the Callanish stones bears an uncanny resemblance to King Kong.

51c32d8176666331462bb3215bbb27a0.jpg

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I was swithering over going to a game tonight, but the wind has turned into a fully fledged hoolie as the day has progressed and I thought that sitting on my decking with a beer watching the sea battering Pabaigh Mor would prove more entertaining, and so it has been.

Lewis has been pretty spectacular, the main highlight thus far being finding out that one of the Callanish stones bears an uncanny resemblance to King Kong.

51c32d8176666331462bb3215bbb27a0.jpg

I played against Ness FC over 40s earlier this month at their park and “windy” doesn’t do it justice.

Seen footage of the regular Ness FC game tonight on Facebook and it sounded like it was still blowing a gale. They were 8-0 up last I checked.

17 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Week on Lewis coming to an end. Weather has been all the varieties of cool and windy you can think of, nobody knows how to use passing places, and I'm gasping for a decent cup of coffee, from anywhere. Otherwise it has been fun.

Too late for you? Bar should be open at 2pm.

On 15/07/2022 at 16:31, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Sure is, all going well I'll be at Montrose v Killie tomorrow. Just cruising into Ullapool now.

ac127eb7f5c430a7c5c59f34cf10a268.jpg

Glad to see you got around Uig a fair bit anyway. July's usually a bit of a pisser, statistically, but it is what it is.

• 3 months later...

Took myself off to Harris for a week in September. Harris itself was as majestic as always but the reason for going was to give myself a chance of getting out to St Kilda. The week was pretty windy with the trip cancelled at the first attempt. However, it was a go for the following day. I will admit the 2hr 45min boat journey to get out there was fairly tortuous with 9 of the 13 on board suffering from sea sickness, luckily enough not me but it was very rough going across the northerly swell. 

St Kilda is awesome, I've wanted to go for a long time ever since I flew around it years ago in the RAF. You get about 4 hours on Hirta which is long enough for a good look around and to walk up to the top of the cliffs etc. You then get back on the boat for a trip around the sea stacks and Boreray which was amazing.20220915_115233.thumb.jpg.ee7fbe13078f68a74a0da2aac2b672fe.jpg

2 hours ago, Black Dug said:

Took myself off to Harris for a week in September. Harris itself was as majestic as always but the reason for going was to give myself a chance of getting out to St Kilda. The week was pretty windy with the trip cancelled at the first attempt. However, it was a go for the following day. I will admit the 2hr 45min boat journey to get out there was fairly tortuous with 9 of the 13 on board suffering from sea sickness, luckily enough not me but it was very rough going across the northerly swell. 

St Kilda is awesome, I've wanted to go for a long time ever since I flew around it years ago in the RAF. You get about 4 hours on Hirta which is long enough for a good look around and to walk up to the top of the cliffs etc. You then get back on the boat for a trip around the sea stacks and Boreray which was amazing.20220915_115233.thumb.jpg.ee7fbe13078f68a74a0da2aac2b672fe.jpg

Did you head out from Leverburgh? Me and my wife did it years ago and everyone spewed their ring on the way out. No issues on the way back but we were all standing on the rear deck instead of the inside cabin. 

Fascinating place and a great pic.

2 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Did you head out from Leverburgh? Me and my wife did it years ago and everyone spewed their ring on the way out. No issues on the way back but we were all standing on the rear deck instead of the inside cabin. 

Fascinating place and a great pic.

Yes mate from Leverburgh. Met some folk on the island that had come all the way over from Skye! 

On 12/11/2022 at 12:02, Black Dug said:

That looks great.

We tried to go in July 2017 but both our days were cancelled because the sea was too rough to land, which was so disappointing.   Haven't managed to fit it in again but would like to 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Having visited most of the 'main' islands of Scotland (when I say main I mean the ones served by a ferry and have inhabitants) it leaves me with Shetland as the biggest one to tick off. Might have to do that this year.

I've mulling over trying to blag a cheap vacant cabin at Invergotdon on a cruise ship for the trip, no idea if it's possible. Spent a few hours at Sumburgh airport many years ago but that doesn't really count,

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 months later...
On 20/04/2020 at 11:35, The Mantis said:

Having withdrawal symptoms and just been reading the entire thread again 😂

Been to Mull, Iona and Lewis this year in Jan/Feb but was meant to be in Islay last week 😰

Been updating my islands list from page 1:

Shetland (maybe 20 times)- Mainland, Yell (3), Unst (2), Mousa (3 or 4), Vaila, Foula, Fair Isle, Bressay (2), Noss (2), Burra, Trondra, Fetlar (2), Whalsay, Muckle Roe, St Ninian's.

Orkney (2) - Mainland, Hoy, Burray, S.Ronaldsay, Rousay.

Western Isles - Lewis & Harris (maybe 100 times), N. Uist (2), S.Uist (2), Benbecula (2), Barra (2), Eriskay, Berneray, Scarp, Scalpay (3), Great Bernera, Pabbay, Monach Isles, Taransay, Hirta, Bhatarsaigh, Shiant Isles.

Inner Hebrides - Skye (maybe 15 times) , Raasay (2), Rona, Muck, Rum (2), Eigg (4) , Islay (3), Jura (2), Coll, Tiree, Mull (4), Iona (2), Staffa, Gigha (2), Arran (maybe 10) , Holy Isle (2), Bute (2), Great Cumbrae (2), Seil, Luing, Davaar (2).

Others - Ailsa Craig, The Bass (3), Cramond, Fidra, May (maybe 6) , Inchcolm, Inchmickery, Handa.  

Also been to Rathlin which is a kick in the erse off Scotland, and Carrick-a-Rede, St Margaret's, Burgh Island (Devon), Anglesey and Lindisfarne.

Couple of photos to relieve the boredom:

Cuillins from Portree

IMG_3345.thumb.jpg.36d5012bcdd122971bc0bfe1d603a8b9.jpg

Sunset from Forsnabhal, Uig, Lewis

IMG_4524.thumb.jpg.a94bbfb02c05f61c59c22617fcbf4f08.jpg

Dawn over Uig hils, Lewis

5578.thumb.jpg.11bc6eacb8ff7a665578288a8d45bdf1.jpg

Updated my islands list after being away last week. Added Rona, Muck, Shiants as well as repeat landings in Mull, Eigg and Rum.

Edited by The Mantis